• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Personal Report: acquiring new hardware

Ray West

Mary,

I had it showing packet loss, too. Sometimes, may be 2%, maybe 6%. Everything I found said contact your isp. However, I did not get packet loss on my old notebook, with a wireless link. I changed the network card in the desktop pc, but after a few days, I was getting packet loss again. I replaced this second cabled network card with a wireless one, packet loss is more or less none existant now. Now the wireless stuff runs a bit slower, probably more checking takes place, etc.

I do think there are currently problems out on the net. There has been a tremendous increase in spam, world wide afaik, in the last few weeks, which tends to clog it up a bit. My isp, like others seem to be continuously upgrading. I can imagine my poor little packet routing it way to Newcastle, via China and Iceland, then someone on the way pulls there server off line to upgrade, and my packet is completely lost, so I got to send another one. This one goes via Japan and S Africa, and back, but gets through.

Of course, it maybe the software shows a packet loss, to get you to buy a packet find kit - simply changes the red to green, and prints out 'everything fine'

Best wishes,

Ray <hoping someone else will chime in, I don't know enough about magic smoke rings to make networks network>

Mary Bull

Things are still running satisfactorily fast, today.

I really don't think it's my machine, because my nephew's wife was complaining about long minutes of waiting for e-mail and for pages to reload on the Internet. She was blaming her anti-virus program--AVG.

I recommended to her to ditch that--such a large footprint on hard disk--and get what I use, NOD32.

They are also Comcast customers, but in no way networked with my own machine.

Well, I shall just muddle along and try to muddle through.

Thanks a million times for all your interest and help.

Mary