• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

BH New York Store

Tim Armes

Hi,

I've just discovered, to my great content, that BH have a New York Superstore. This will definitely be on my list of places to visit during my trip :)

Can someone tell me if the prices are the same as those on their website?

Thanks,

Tim

Marian Howell

prices are the same but at the store you pay new york state sales tax...a native will have to tell you what that is, maybe 8%? mail order = no sales tax. still, probably cheaper than shipping to france :)

Tom Henkel

Actually, I think it's worse than that....

Marian Howell said:
prices are the same but at the store you pay new york state sales tax...a native will have to tell you what that is, maybe 8%? mail order = no sales tax. still, probably cheaper than shipping to france :)

My understanding (and I've never actually purchased at the B&H bricks/mortar store -- so I could be wrong) is you have to pay a New York State sales tax PLUS a New York City sales tax.

Tom

Tim Armes

Tom Henkel said:
My understanding (and I've never actually purchased at the B&H bricks/mortar store -- so I could be wrong) is you have to pay a New York State sales tax PLUS a New York City sales tax.

Tom

Does that also apply to non New York residents?

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Mike Guthman said:
Think of it as VAT at half the price
It depends the kind of company you hold.
As a professional I get the VAT reimbursed by tax office.
Though as a freelance, one may have to pay VAT.
At least in France.

nicolas claris

Tim Armes said:
Does that also apply to non New York residents?
Yes!
Lats year I bought a 70-200 IS at Samy's in L.A. and I've never been able to get those city/State tax back at the airport...

nicolas claris

Tim Armes said:
Hi,

I've just discovered, to my great content, that BH have a New York Superstore. This will definitely be on my list of places to visit during my trip :)

Can someone tell me if the prices are the same as those on their website?

Thanks,

Tim
Tim
I went to B&H a few weeks ago, this is worth the visit! Be aware that they are close Saturdays and all jewish holidays, but they are open on Sundays!
The nice thing is that they do have almost all the gear (and even more) that you can dream of.
When I was there I could try a 600 IS and found that it is far too heavy for the way I would use it (handheld) so I didn't buy it. This is a great advantage that you don't have on their website!
Regarding taxes etc, see my posts above, but I'm sure that they would export for you if you buy from them there a few thousand Dollars.

Vat isn't an issue, wether you buy thru the net or bring it yourself, you'll pay VAT, after it's a question if your run a company or if you're freelance... If you run a company you'll get your VAT back, if you're freelance or "private" you won't get VAT back...

Have a nice visit there, it has to be added to the unmissible visits such as Gugenheim and other marvellous places...

Deborah Kolt

US Sales tax vs VAT

Unfortunately, unlike European VAT, US sales tax is assessed by the individual state (and occasionally also added to by the city) and is not refundable when you take the item out of the country. The only way to avoid sales tax is to have the item shipped out of that state, i.e., you cannot take possession of it in store. Internet sales also avoid sales tax unless you are shipping to a state where that merchant has a brick-and-mortar store.

Just be sure that the sales person you are dealing with understands, and waives the tax. BH regular staff certainly will be aware of the loophole.

The good news is that with the weakness of the dollar against the euro (and every other currency), you may actually pay less for shipping than the NYC tax rate!

Tim Armes

Nicolas Claris said:
Tim
I went to B&H a few weeks ago, this is worth the visit! Be aware that they are close Saturdays and all jewish holidays, but they are open on Sundays!

I'l be in New York for the week so that shouldn't be a problem

Nicolas Claris said:
Regarding taxes etc, see my posts above, but I'm sure that they would export for you if you buy from them there a few thousand Dollars.

They'll export anything. I'm looking for an 85mm 1.8, it's 400 euros in Europe and 250 euros in their store! Shipping to europe is about 27 euros, so whether I ship or pay tax, it makes little difference.