• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I got my 100-400!

Purchased on FM from a fellow photog from Denver, CO.
Man, was I missing this lens! I have been borrowing it from my boss until recently, but as of today I got my very own copy:)!

Now I have a complete coverage from 10mm to 560mm :
  • EF-S 10-22
  • EF-S 17-85 IS USM
  • EF 50mm f/1.8
  • EF 70-200L f/2.8 IS USM
  • EF 100-400L IS USM (or, with TC x1.4, 140-560 IS:)
I'm happy! I guess, Christmas is here for me already! :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nikolai,

You're getting your pesents very early this year!

Now your line up is excellent.

There's still might be a 50 1.2 L waiting for you under the tree in less time than you think!

Now when you have finished shooting with me, you might be looking for even more exotic glass, LOL!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Nikolai,

You're getting your presents very early this year!

There's still might be a 50 1.2 L waiting for you under the tree in less time than you think!

Now when you have finished shooting with me, you might be looking for even more exotic glass, LOL!

Asher

Asher !
Does this means you are going to give Nik a 50 1.2 L by Christmas ?
Excellent !

Mike Funnell

Congratulations on the 100-400! I love mine. It's probably my most-used dSLR lens, followed fairly closely by my 50 and 35 small cheap primes. Quite a difference in handling, there...

...Mike

Asher,

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Nikolai,
You're getting your pesents very early this year!
Asher

Being the head of the family, I'm accustomed to be my own Santa:)

I don't mind having super fast prime, but as of now I can't affor any of them. In due time, hopefully...

Mike,

Mike Funnell said:
Congratulations on the 100-400! I love mine. It's probably my most-used dSLR lens, followed fairly closely by my 50 and 35 small cheap primes. Quite a difference in handling, there...

...Mike

Thanks!
I love 100-400, used it alot and missed it alot whne I had to give it back. So now that we've reunited I feel whole again :)
70-200 f/2.8 is great for large dark halls, but on the open field with plenty of light you gotta have a larger reach..
Cheers!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nikolai,

So the 100-400 you had for the airshow wasn't yours! Anyway it is a wonderful lens, so much better than a lot of internet chatter would have one think.

Asher

Asher,

Asher Kelman said:
Nikolai,

So the 100-400 you had for the airshow wasn't yours! Anyway it is a wonderful lens, so much better than a lot of internet chatter would have one think.

Asher

Correct, it wasn't mine (and I think I mentioned that - with a deep sigh).
I guess some people simply hate push-pull mechanism, hence the controversy.
I personally find it very easy to work with (zoom: push-pull, focus - rotate, you can't accidentally use one instead of the other), but tastes differ:)

Cheers!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Congratulations

Nik -

Glad to hear your Santa was good to you early. Always fun to have a new piece of equipment. Santa must have made the mistake about the 50 1.2 because one arrived at my house today - he must have turned left on Thousand Oaks Blvd. instead of going right...(lol)

And I have a perfect candidate to use that on tomorrow - a cute 6 year old I am borrowing to play with and make a portrait to give to my friend - her mother as holiday gift.

Cem_Usakligil

70-200L F/4 IS vs 100-400L F/4 IS?

Hi Nik,

Much like yourself, I have the following lenses for my cropped sensor 400D (XTi):
- EF-S 10-22
- EF 50mm f/1.8
- EF 24-105L f/4 IS USM

I am now considering buying one of the following lenses:
- EF 70-200L f/4 IS USM
- EF 100-400L IS USM

I am leaning towards the 100-400 right now, I dont see the added value of 70-200 since I also have the 24-105 which creates an overlap. Also, I can get the 100-400 for a few hundred dollars more compared to the 70-200. So what is the wise thing to do? TIA...

Cheers,

Cem

Cem,

Since I didn't have 24-105 (my tool is 17-85) both 70-200 and 100-400 were kinda equally important for me. As far as you already have 24-105 I think it'd be wiser for you to get 100-400 first. However, if you plan alot of indoor closeup shooting 100-400 could be an overkill and 70-200 would be your #1 choice.

I'd say - go with you heart and get 100-400 :)

Happy New Year!