• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Free & Paid Photo Galleries on the Web: what's your favorites!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We keep getting questions about posting one's pictures on the web. PBase seems popular but is not free. What do you use and why?

I like

1. .mac galleries, part of the .mac subscription* for email, since it is a one click no brainer connection to iphoto which is the free photo viewing software from Apple. This allows simple customization by one click choice of templates. Also these galleries can be replaced by the much more capable but again, not for free, in iWeb, also a Mac product.

Other online galleries can be customized too but are free but some seem designed more for those with some coding skills to get a pretty looking page.

2. Exposure Manager.com is free (no it isn't, my error, it costs about $60 per year, but a steady flow of checks makes up for that :) ) and provides fulfillment of orders for prints too and a built in slide show. It is sufficient, but I wish the templates would be more obvious to use and swap as in iphoto galleries.

Asher

*A further benefit of the .mac subscription is idisk, a virtual disk, idisk that can be used anywhere in the world on Mac or PC computers to transfer or store large numbers of files

Last edited:
Hello Asher.

I tried out PBase before opting for SmugMug about 3 years ago and I couldn't have been happier with their service. It has basicly all I could wish for in a online gallery apart from that uploading seems to a bit slow lately. I don't really like Flickr UI - it is confusing and not nice looking in my opinion.

Regards,
Johann
http://gudbjargarson.net
http://js.smugmug.com

Galleries

I use Photo.net, which offers a rather limited free hosting service, but isn't expensive for the subscription. I like the number of views generated there, far more than I could with my own domain, and generally like the community, but the quality of critique (and response to critique) leaves something to be desired.

I too am looking for an alternative. I don't like Flickr or Pbase, because of the poor user interface.

Mike Guthman

I just went through the process of looking at all the free and low cost sites I could find. I ended up selecting Smugmug. I felt they were better by a considerable margin.

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike Guthman said:
I just went through the prochttp://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/images/editor/menupop.gifess of looking at all the free and low cost sites I could find. I ended up selecting Smugmug. I felt they were better by a considerable margin.

Mike

Smugmug seems to have a lot of adherants. I have never tried it. Uploading, I'm told, can be a pain.

However there's a nifty utility by our own Nikolai Skloblovsky for windows called called *Star Explorer that's designed just for Smugmug. It's worth a try.

Asher

It's unfortunately for Windows users only!