• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ice scuplture

Doug Kerr

Yesterday afternoon and overnight we got a total of 4" of snow here in Alamogordo, an uncommon but not rare event.

The leader ("downspout") from the corner of our overhanging entryway roof has no easy way to get to ground, so it just ends in an elbow and the water that pours out hits a splash block on the ground.

Early this morning the air temperature was below freezing, but the roof was still warm and so some of the snow melted. As the water left the leader, this was the result:

G09951-01-s800.jpg

Carla C. Kerr: Ice Sculpture

Yes, in the right front that is water dripping off the bottom of the sculpture.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yesterday afternoon and overnight we got a total of 4" of snow here in Alamogordo, an uncommon but not rare event.

The leader ("downspout") from the corner of our overhanging entryway roof has no easy way to get to ground, so it just ends in an elbow and the water that pours out hits a splash block on the ground.

Early this morning the air temperature was below freezing, but the roof was still warm and so some of the snow melted. As the water left the leader, this was the result:

G09951-01-s800.jpg

Carla C. Kerr: Ice Sculpture

Yes, in the right front that is water dripping off the bottom of the sculpture.

Best regards,

Doug

“Interesting!”, Doug, was my immediate thought. I remembered the starlings in the eves of your house! Was that in a different age and before your current home?

Such ice, BTW couldn’t occur in Beverly Hills, BTW, as the weather is highly regulated by City Code and tradition and set at 70 degrees F +/- 15 degrees at the extremes.

There is going to be all hell to play in an emergency City Hall meeting as we got a major cold spell of 45 degrees F for two days and the City Manager could lose his pension!

Policemen on Rodeo Drive are given free Mocha lates from Starbucks and Chines tourist in furs want to take selfies with the police in their limos!

We have a crisis as 4 Young police officers were smuggled into the Ritz Carlton Hotel to keep a squad of Chinese dancers warm and they tried to charge the City for overtime!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

“Interesting!”, Doug, was my immediate thought. I remembered the starlings in the eves of your house! Was that in a different age and before your current home?

Yes, that was a few years ago (I have to figger when but at leat 7) in our house in Weatherford, Texas, before we moved to Alamogordo, New Mexico.

Such ice, BTW couldn’t occur in Beverly Hills, BTW, as the weather is highly regulated by City Code and tradition and set at 70 degrees F +/- 15 degrees at the extremes.

Yes, as in Camelot, where King Arthur had decreed a similar meteorological paradise.

There is going to be all hell to play in an emergency City Hall meeting as we got a major cold spell of 45 degrees F for two days and the City Manager could lose his pension!

Policemen on Rodeo Drive are given free Mocha lates from Starbucks and Chines tourist in furs want to take selfies with the police in their limos!

We have a crisis as 4 Young police officers were smuggled into the Ritz Carlton Hotel to keep a squad of Chinese dancers warm and they tried to charge the City for overtime!

Yes, winter can really be rough!

Best regards,

Doug