• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Which Improvements to the next Generation

In my discussions with Pentax, I voiced some of my observations about the Pentax K10D and what I would like to see. These were rather simple and could be addressed in the next models. Unfortunately some of those suggestions cannot be addressed in Firmware updates. These changes must be implemented to convince other professionals that Pentax provides all of the expected solutions demanded by most pro's.

The first issue I discussed was the lack of an input for studio flash. That in my opinion was a flagrant oversight considering the simplicity of doing so.

The flash synchro could go as high as 1/250 th of a second, allowing those using fill flash outdoors to decrease their depth of field.

The AWB must be improved. There is no reason that the AWB cannot be closer to 5500k when rectifying mixed sources.

All of the lenses manufactured by Pentax should not have any BF or FF issues. There have been inconsistencies with the 21-Limited lens. This kind of insecurity associated with using this lens does not add to user confidence. The fear of the subject being out of focus while doing a pro shoot and being paid for it does not reflect well on the photographer, if the images are out of focus.

A shooting speed of 5 fps for intermediate models would help to convince those photographers shooting action, not to use the 3.3 fps excuse for not switching to Pentax. The high end version could shoot up to 7 fps.

Pentax may have to compete against Sony, Nikon and Canon in the larger sensor size arena. If the norm becomes FF or perhaps a 1.25 factor and it becomes the standard across the board, Pentax must be prepared to, either take the lead and do so at a price point that is reminiscent of the pro Canon or Nikon bodies that sold for around 2k dollars. I know that if Pentax were to go FF or 1.25, many pro's would consider them. As we all know, sensor size attracts certain profiles that feel insecure unless those criteria are satisfied.

A Pentax body without integral flash. Most pro's use off camera flash and rarely use the flash provided with the camera. Perhaps the intermediate bodies could integrate the flash in to camera.

Improve the "SR" as well as the sensor cleaning mechanism.

The capacity to choose to shoot from 50-3200 iso with an option to go to 6400 iso with improved noise performance.

That would do nicely for my own use...You can add your own.

Other than that, the K10D is almost perfect.

Improvements I'd like to see

FIRST
I like owning Pentax. I love the way the K10d is built and the creative thinking that went into its feature set. I also really appreciate the attention to lens compatibility - a marked departure from the competition and something that sets Pentax apart! They've managed to maintain this difference even into their newest set of lenses - SWM + Screw Drive - Bravo!

Now, I'm not a pro, but I think the following might be nice....

FLASH SYSTEM IMPROVEMENTS
A few things:
  1. Yes, please! 1/250th Synchro
  2. Put the AUTO back in AWB. AWB should equal true white... "natural white" can be some other option!
  3. TTL where did you go!? Other mfg. seem to manage this! Why discard with TTL? - it is VERY useful!
FOCUS SYSTEM IMPROVEMENTS
A month or so ago, there was a "service-only" focus calibration menu leaked to the public. So, we know it should be possible to calibrate the body for each lens. Yes, it would be nice to not have ANY focus issues with ANY lens, but if this is not feasible (all mfg. seem to have some degree of problem with this), then why not allow knowledgeable users to calibrate their body to their lenses?

METERING
Generally, I think the metering is sufficient. However, there are some features that I think most users would find compelling:
  1. More control over avoiding blown highlights would be handy.
  2. Currently, weighting the "matrix" metering to the selected auto-focus point is nice! Would it be handy to weight even more when on "center" metering?
  3. With ISO 1600 or faster as Benjamin suggested, the meter sensitivity becomes a factor. So the sensitivity needs to increase or some predictive algorithm needs to be developed. Currently, in very low light, the meter flat-out refuses to try after a certain point.
LENSES
A sonic drive / screw drive 1.7x teleconverter that reports the correct focal length to the shake reduction system MUST be developed. Plus a 1.4x and 2x maybe even!?

Otherwise, their direction in lenses, according to their roadmap is fine by me...

Go Pentax! Competition is good for (most) everyone (most of the time)!

In my discussions with Pentax, I voiced some of my observations about the Pentax K10D and what I would like to see. These were rather simple and could be addressed in the next models.

What may seem easy to many, might be more difficult to achieve in practice. E.g. your remarks about flash, while I agree on their usefulness, will add cost for faster/durable components. How many, besides you, would be willing to pay for that (= pre-production marketing decision)?

The AWB must be improved. There is no reason that the AWB cannot be closer to 5500k when rectifying mixed sources.

In fact the reason may conflict with a desire for faster frames/second. While there is some info available on WB algorithms (e.g. Robertson's algorithm), mainly the heuristics for fine-tuning the general calculations are time-consuming. It'll require serious research and development to speed it up (and it would be easier to do in a Raw processor than in an in-camera-ASIC image processor for the generation of JPEGs).

All of the lenses manufactured by Pentax should not have any BF or FF issues.

That would apply to any brand that aspires to be considered a top-performer, however even those struggle with it to the extend that the no. 1 DSLRr seller 'conceded' to having a 'user definable' per lens-type user 'calibration' setting. To me, that signals that it is cheaper to let the user figure it out, than to spend more (research/material component quality and adaptive adjustment) money on.

Pentax may have to compete against Sony, Nikon and Canon in the larger sensor size arena.

You are talking serious budget differences! Miracles happen, but it takes a lot of money to make them happen.

The capacity to choose to shoot from 50-3200 iso with an option to go to 6400 iso with improved noise performance.

Sure, but that is the result of almost ALL prior investments, many of which are already patented(!) by the big money contenders (and money is not necessarily a warranty to quality). Digital is brutal for those with mainly an analog history to build on. I'm not saying that we are facing a Canon/Sony/Nikon (in that order of presumed success!) slug-out, but it'll take more than a wish-list to fend it off.

Personally, I'd like Pentax to be amongst those who succeed in the survival-of-the-fittest, as they have a fine track-record in all sorts of imaging applications, but I'm not placing any bets, just yet.

Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Guys,

I think that Pentax, with Leica must be given a special stus and kudos for daring to rise up to live again! Obviously that is not enough. I have already seen what the great Leica lenses do with the Kodak sensors in the Leica M8. Sure they have had teething problems, but they are growing past that.

The M8 is a landmark event in the modern history of cameras. It might not survive, but I think that the niche market and unique advantages give survival advantage within the ecosystem.

The Pentax brand is no less admired and valued. Even now, any Mamyia VII or C330 off the shelf of a used camera dealer will out resolve most modern cameras.

Here with the K10D, Pentax made an effort to foster a niche market for a competant weather sealed camera capable for the demands of may pros and enthusiasts who couldn't pay for Canon and or wanted less weight, loved pentax or special boutique features.

Now I can talk about the M8 Leica and jsut one les, the 28mm, since I have used it. However, it is up to you to say whether or not there is anything special such that the Pentax seems more correct to your for the job.

Is there anything that calls you in that camera beyond sentiment.

With the Leica there is a certain transparency with the subject, a lack of a barrier, to me at least.

What is it with the Pentax that might, even with its shortcomings seduce you?

Asher