• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Alone Together

James Lemon

[
i-nbRSh32-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The two of them make a great composition, one with a phonecand tge othercwith a gaming tablet, it seems!

In addition, ignoring the pair, to the right, there is a second rather interesting combination of a wall mural and the two blue steel poles that protect the gas meter!

I think you could harvest the latter as an extra picture that can stand on it own? What do you think?

Asher

James Lemon

The two of them make a great composition, one with a phonecand tge othercwith a gaming tablet, it seems!

In addition, ignoring the pair, to the right, there is a second rather interesting combination of a wall mural and the two blue steel poles that protect the gas meter!

I think you could harvest the latter as an extra picture that can stand on it own? What do you think?

Asher

Asher

I suppose that is a possibility.

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

Asher

I suppose that is a possibility.

James,

Just noting what a beautiful wall the muralist made. That’s really uplifting. Pity they need the gas meter outside! That leads to those two poles to protect it!

No doubt the City Inspector made them pay a Prince’s ransom to allow them to havecthr gas meter like that in the street!

Are there more such murals on that street? Is it annart and woman’s hip fashion area?

Asher

Robert Watcher

I really like the content and the potential, but unfortunately the poor composition does not cause me to be moved by the picture. I say this not to be mean, but because everything is there for a quite impactful image. For my taste, the right side window and attempt to include the full mural, are distractions from the strong storytelling content on the left side. However, it is just my opinion.

———-

Asher Kelman

Robert,

As to the “edges of windows” included at each side of the frame, I came to accept that because of a picture by the banned, (but still extant), Tom Dinning who showed a beach picture with half a figure coming in and another leaving, on both edges of the frame. That opened my mind to not excluding images with such seemingly obvious extraneous elements!

Now I have a more open mind.

BTW, James, I am proud that we really do discuss images and not declare everything is a new Modigliani! You are a good sport for tolerating such a critical look!

Thanks,

Asher

Robert Watcher

Robert,

As to the “edges of windows” included at each side of the frame, I came to accept that because of a picture by the banned, (but still extant), Tom Dinning who showed a beach picture with half a figure coming in and another leaving, on both edges of the frame. That opened my mind to not excluding images with such seemingly obvious extraneous elements!

Now I have a more open mind.

BTW, James, I am proud that we really do discuss images and not declare everything is a new Modigliani! You are a good sport for tolerating such a critical look!

Thanks,

Asher

My view is that a photographic image is successful based on 3 elements - composition, content/subject matter, and lighting. Any one of the three can stand out, but all three are necessary. Content at the edges of the frame can certainly contribute to the composition in certain circumstances. I am not suggesting centering the subjects. Just that those elements on the right side do not contribute to the image and distract to my eye. More space under the feet of the subjects and even a tad more to the left, would also help contribute to a better composition.

I only comment because I see that this pic is so close to being a very good photo —- with strong composition. If the purpose is just to have taken a photo of an interesting moment and wall elements for the photographers collection - then my suggestions don’t matter. I rarely comment on pictures unless I see some real potential that a suggestion or two based on my experience, might help. This is a scene that I would notice and take advantage of as well. Good eye.

——-

Peter Dexter

I always enjoy watching two people on a date, both immersed in their cel phones. As to partial or incomplete views in art I'm reminded of Duchamp's Given: 1. The Waterfall, 2. The Illuminating Gas

Asher Kelman

I always enjoy watching two people on a date, both immersed in their cel phones. As to partial or incomplete views in art I'm reminded of Duchamp's Given: 1. The Waterfall, 2. The Illuminating Gas

Adding to these examples of including cut off objects, Magritte often did that with columns and door frames. But these were made to be obvious paths or portals to the main subject of the composition!

Asher