• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shaw Air Expo 2016 US Air Force Thunderbirds and more

Don Ferguson Jr.

I took these at Shaw Air Base in South Carolina.
Don

IMG_0204-Edit-4-Edit-2_zpsooiboehw.jpg

IMG_0204-Edit-4-Edit-2_zps4o4cdylb.jpg

IMG_0250-Edit_zps9w2daqel.jpg

IMG_9943-Edit_zpso8equy6l.jpg

IMG_0229-Edit_zps2wy7ghle.jpg

IMG_9976-Edit_zpsk1qnfwoz.jpg

StuartRae

Hi Don,

Thanks for some great action shots. I guess that the Thunderbirds are the equivalent of our Red Arrows?

I particularly like the shot of the F-16 and the Mustang flying together.

Regards,

Stuart

Andy brown

Great series Don.
I think I struggle a bit with the concept of the glorification of armaments but at the same time I can't help but be impressed by the technical excellence of such machines.

I agree with Stuart that the pairing of the F16 and Mustang is superb image. The geometric tension created by the two shapes and the wonderful juxtaposition of old and new work so well together.

Don Ferguson Jr.

Thanks, y'all and I was real happy to get the US Air Force Heritage Flight formation shot. Here is another one of the Mustang. The Thunderbird's were the star of the show and are amazing to watch.
Don

IMG_9749-Edit-2_zpst4byc4m0.jpg

IMG_0220-Edit-2_zpsc4yguitz.jpg

Paul Abbott

Is that a Mig in the third from last shot? It has a fantastic silhouette, you've given some nice spacing for it in the photograph too.

Paul Abbott

Yeah it does, Don. I hope you think of printing up the previous MiG shot, it's such a distinctive silhouette, would look great on the wall, in B&W or colour.

I like the last shot with the colour corresponding lines on the floor...I wish you had not lost the edge of the wing though.

Don Ferguson Jr.

Paul, Jim on Fred Miranda Mustang thread said this about the pilot of the MiG.
Don
Hi Don,

Well known MiG17 around here, flown by Randy Ball, the highest time MiG17 pilot in the world I believe. Interesting aside, Randy's heart had a big problem a few years ago, a valve disintegrating I believe, as he flew the MiG from one air show location to the next. Realizing that he was in serious trouble, he cranked his oxygen level to the max and made a mayday call. He was able to remain semi conscious as ATC expedited his descent to the nearest field where he landed with emergency service scrambled and waiting. He was rushed to a hospital where he underwent open heart surgery and had a pig valve implanted in his heart.

His surgeon told him, during his rehabilitation, that the odds of anyone surviving his condition if they were standing in a Wal Mart when it took place, were slim to none. So I guess that you could interpolate that comment to determine what the odds were for a guy flying a vintage supersonic fighter jet at altitude above the clouds when it happened.

Randy is a pretty tenacious guy, imagine approaching the Feds to get your medical back after that series of events, but there he is flying his MiG.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/600984/4854#lastmessage

Paul Abbott

WOW! What a story and what a thing to be told soon afterwards, that is amazing, Don.

It's well worth printing and framing now, in memory of...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Syrian skies are now the new air show, 24/7!

Today, the stakes are much higher. Russia has the most powerful low flying armored helicopters and super fast aircraft, but the Americans and Israelis lead in avionics.

Right now, with the Russians flying for Bashar Assad and the Israelis and allies flying the latest American planes, the arch rivals are calibrating each other's avionics, climbing and radar and manouvering capabilities and armaments.

No place really for MIG 17's!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Oh yes! This one is fantastic and beautiful, it really is. The glow from the exhaust and the heat shimmer make this a really unique perspective.