• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sand bubble

Andy brown

As the tide washes up over drier sand, air bubbles escape from below.
Not the sharpest shot ever (it was all I could do to get this one, they only last a few seconds at most and focussing whilst dodging the water was virtually impossible) but I do like the effect.

DSC_2840%20sand%20bubble%20P%20screen%20size_zpsdhjxwvpo.jpg

As the tide washes up over drier sand, air bubbles escape from below.
Not the sharpest shot ever (it was all I could do to get this one, they only last a few seconds at most and focussing whilst dodging the water was virtually impossible) but I do like the effect.

DSC_2840%20sand%20bubble%20P%20screen%20size_zpsdhjxwvpo.jpg

yes, I can see how unique it was ... although, I don't know how long you had to get the focus in the front but it would have been worth it.. or to return and try again as it would make for a very unique and interesting shot!

Andy brown

Thank you all for the input here.
Tom, yes, it's a low success rate. and yes I'll persevere.

Maggie, the reality of this scenario is basically mission impossible.
These are spontaneous eruptions of bubbles which last a few seconds at most, the bubbles are roiling rapidly, there is nothing solid to focus on, they are small and in macro there is no capacity for depth of field. The phenomenon relies on a rare selection of tide and swell and local beach conditions. I see it only occasionally.....and I will stalk it for the rest of my days for the chance of something special.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The picture is unique, intriguing and enjoyable as is. Yes it could be more impactful if sharper. I do not see a pressing need for sharper focus at the small size, as shown here. However a larger print might lose its character.

So, if one wants sharper focus, there are deconvolution algorithms to help attain that from the picture. Also some cameras can do focus bracketing. But at least one can shoot off 5-10 frames a second and then choose the images that are most in focus.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

So, if one wants sharper focus, there are deconvolution algorithms to help attain that from the picture.

What tools seem to be the best for applying deconvolution to mitigate the result of imperfect focus in the shot?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Andy brown

More of the same technical issues, more good fun.
I do believe I'm closing in on the 'ideal' combination of settings/conditions.

DSC_2256%20p%20screen%20size_zpsppadv9e6.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Andy,

More of the same technical issues, more good fun.
I do believe I'm closing in on the 'ideal' combination of settings/conditions.

DSC_2256%20p%20screen%20size_zpsppadv9e6.jpg

Well, I'm not sure one should think in terms of an "ideal" formula, or an "ideal" result.

That having been said, this image is just wondrous!

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Andy brown

Mike, Doug, thanks gents.
It should be a summer activity, dashing about in the waves is getting a bit cool on the feet at the moment but I can't resist when the tide and swell are right.