• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fabulous free online animated movie maker

Doug Kerr

Our diocese of The Episcopal Church has a lovely Web site. I visited it today, and was surprised to see at the top of the home page the headline, "Bishop Ohl makes brief YouTube appearance". Just below was an embedded video player, which I started.

What ensued was a clever animated movie, set in a typical talk show set (with the familiar 2-piece guest sofa, host desk, and a picture window onto a big city scene). The host, a buxom and rather enthusiastic girl, was interviewing our Bishop, Wallis Ohl. The topic was a new electronic newsletter just instituted by the diocese, and how church members and other interested parties could sign up to receive it. The bishop didn't look much like Wallis, but it was not a bad caricature. (There's a link to it below.)

My first thought was, how could they spend the money for such an animated work. Our public relations gal could have interviewed the bishop while any number of us could have shot the movie.

But it turns out that this whole thing was made by a free online animated movie generating service, Xtranormal Movie Maker (aka Xtranormal text-to-movie).

I've only looked into it a little, but as I understand it, you first choose a "set" and avatars for the characters (one or two). Then you submit a text script with all the dialog plus stage directions, which I guess to be like "Bishop blows kisses to audience", "Bishop nods his head", "Host turns toward camera". "Host turns toward Bishop", "Bishop raises hands" (as if to encourage audience to respond), and, evidently, "Bishop stares at host's cleavage."

From that, the system generates the entire movie.

I need to find out a lot more, but I was so excited I wanted to mention it here right away. I'll find out who masterminded the project and talk to them about it.

The speech is synthesized, evidently by the same kind of synthesizer we always hear Stephen Hawking speaking through, or the NOAA weather radio announcements.

Here is a link to the example I am talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYaeEZhL6PE&feature=player_embedded

Of course equally wondrous is the dialog itself.

Best regards,

Doug

I need to find out a lot more, but I was so excited I wanted to mention it here right away. I'll find out who masterminded the project and talk to them about it.

Hi Doug,

Looks like serious fun. That's a clever piece of software, and it seems like an interesting marketing model (one purchases characters and such to use in the software). I assume the more potent Moviemaker application also is payware.

Thanks for sharing your findings.

Cheers,
Bart