• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: I'm out shooting Film!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Am taking time off with Jim Galli's LF group shooting film with my 8x10 camera. So take my place a pay attention to pictures that merit you feedback! Will post pics soon. Up ay 5 am tomorrow hopefully to shoot sand dunes at dawn.

Asher :)

Asher,

I take it this is with your beautiful Chamonix 8x10 that you have previously posted about on the Large Format Forum website?

I really am looking forward to the results. I am enjoying 4x5in so much, you never know - I might one day try to make the jump to 8x10in also. But 4x5in is more than a handful for me already - and since I generally enlarge, I will never run out of quality for "typical" purposes.

Still, it's true what they say - when you start with LF, the gravity just keeps on pulling to ever larger formats. Luckily, every now and then my Mamiya 6x7cm negatives surprise me, pulling me back down to earth.

I hope you had a great photography outing!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher,

I take it this is with your beautiful Chamonix 8x10 that you have previously posted about on the Large Format Forum website?

I really am looking forward to the results. I am enjoying 4x5in so much, you never know - I might one day try to make the jump to 8x10 in also. But 4x5in is more than a handful for me already - and since I generally enlarge, I will never run out of quality for "typical" purposes.

Still, it's true what they say - when you start with LF, the gravity just keeps on pulling to ever larger formats. Luckily, every now and then my Mamiya 6x7cm negatives surprise me, pulling me back down to earth.

I hope you had a great photography outing!

Dawid,

I have immersed myself so much in digital that film got left behind. What's so special about LF film is that it allows an immediacy in the contact print that's more powerful and direct than most 4x5 or 8x10 images from digital files. Also I admire the look and craft of silver gelatin, carbon and platinum. I now lust after two platinum presentations:

• that clean polished craft of Per Volquartz with amazing range of blacks, finished, hand coated with wax where a texture appears in the blacks and

• the soft pastel treatment by Jim Collum adding a layer of color with meticulously overlaying pigment inkjet.

The possibilities are endless!

I had to catch up last week and now I'll get my film processed. Hopefully there'll be a few I'll like!

Asher