• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Carla

Doug Kerr

This past week we had a wonderful visit from some friends from Germany. The wife, Ingrid, is the daughter of a fellow I met in 1960, when we were both working at Bell Telephone Laboratories in New York. (He went back to Germany in the late 1960s.) We remained friends and technical colleagues for many decades, essentially until his death early this year.

His daughter is a food scientist by academic training, and is with a major German manufacturer of sugar substitutes.

Her husband, Horst, a chemical engineer by original academic training, is now a business development executive executive with a major international technical construction and engineering firm. Their 9 year old son Andreas was with them, with a mind that won't quit.

Typical question of his father: "Well, if Iran had refused to let Chancellor Merkel's plane go through their airspace, and it had to land in Turkey, would they have had to get some kind of special permission for that, and would there have been a lot of extra paperwork to do?" [This was all auf Deutsch, of course, with some interlineated translation by Horst, so my translation may have been a bit paraphrasic.]

They are a wonderful family and it was a wonderful visit.

Of course, Carla was operating at full capacity, planning and cooking many fabulous meals, arranging for visits to museums and the Fort Worth Stockyards, and so forth. She is just amazing, and is my best friend, my muse and my inspiration.

Here we see her in the kitchen as we get ready to go out to breakfast with our friends the day they left for home.

Carla_G02820-01R600.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Carla Christine Kerr in her kitchen, 2011

By the way, she will be 73 next week. Yes, she wears a stylish watch with a very readable dial.

The green vessel is filled with Carla's famous pasta confetti salad, a batch that would be used at a birthday party that evening at her daughter's house. It is famous worldwide. Ingrid in fact makes it. It requires a special obscure salad dressing as an ingredient (Carla has to special order it through a local supermarket), and part of Ingrid's mission here was to pick some up so we would not have to ship it to them in Germany.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Here we see the group at breakfast on their last day, at the local International House of Pancakes restaurant:

Ingrid_G02826-02R.jpg

Anonymous photographer: The group at breakfast

From front center, clockwise: Andreas, Ingrid, Horst, Doug, Carla

And now the credits:

Ingrid_G02827-01R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Anonymous photographer

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

What a great find you have in Carla! She is such a grand lady with style, great family and friends she has more than earned!

Kudos!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Doug,

A lovely story, it seems you have had a great time with your visitors. Carla, as usual, is simply regal. Let me be the first one to congratulate her birthday in advance. PS: you should not reveal her age imo. :)

PS 2: what's that thing on your ear, a BT earpiece for your mobile? And I love the shirt pocket protector; you are such an engineer, you! Lol.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

What a great find you have in Carla! She is such a grand lady with style, great family and friends she has more than earned!

Kudos!

Thank you so much. I am fortunate indeed.

As was said by historians about Muhammed and Aisha, and repeated here about (F.) Mohammed and Ayesha, "He received his greatest revelations in her presence".

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

A lovely story, it seems you have had a great time with your visitors. Carla, as usual, is simply regal. Let me be the first one to congratulate her birthday in advance. PS: you should not reveal her age imo
Well, she is actually quite proud of it, so . . .

PS 2: what's that thing on your ear, a BT earpiece for your mobile?
Indeed, a Motorola H500. Carla has one too (bubble-gum pink), but doesn't wear it much.

And I love the shirt pocket protector; you are such an engineer, you! Lol.
Indeed. When Carla and I had our first date (what we refer to as the "exchange of resumés"), I carefully left it behind, just putting a single pen in my shirt pocket (not a fancy Cross model or anything, though). She asked where it was. I told her. She said, "Well, without that, it isn't really you."

Best regards,

Doug