• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Letters

Doug Kerr

In learned journals, "letters" are brief technical papers submitted without benefit of full editorial support and peer review, and often bereft of figures.

It has been my practice to do a similar thing here: issue brief "letters" directly into the forum, most on technical topics related to photography. Many are written while Carla is preparing our breakfast.

I also often announce here more formal articles published on The Pumpkin, some on topics directly related to photography but often not.

I now realize that these have often served, in various ways, to dilute (sometimes even disrupt) the mission of this forum (whatever exactly that is). Accordingly, I expect to do far less, if any, of that in the future.

I will of course continue to publish technical articles on a range of fields in The Pumpkin, and I certainly invite my "fans" to drop by there from time to time to see what is new. As always, comments are certainly invited.

Although, as a nominal Episcopalian, I am free to do this work while facing in any direction, it is my habit to most often adopt a nominal azimuth of about 144.75°. (That's because my computer display screen faces about -35.25°.) We have not yet reckoned what notable sites, sacred or profane, we might reach by Mercator sailing along that bearing, although a rough estimate suggests it might include Jorge's Mexican Kitchen in Aledo, Texas (certainly of the latter category).

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

Sad to read this

Hi Doug,

I am truly sorry to read this:
In learned journals, "letters" are brief technical papers submitted without benefit of full editorial support and peer review, and often bereft of figures.

It has been my practice to do a similar thing here: issue brief "letters" directly into the forum, most on technical topics related to photography. Many are written while Carla is preparing our breakfast.

I also often announce here more formal articles published on The Pumpkin, some on topics directly related to photography but often not.

I now realize that these have often served, in various ways, to dilute (sometimes even disrupt) the mission of this forum (whatever exactly that is). Accordingly, I expect to do far less, if any, of that in the future.

I will of course continue to publish technical articles on a range of fields in The Pumpkin, and I certainly invite my "fans" to drop by there from time to time to see what is new. As always, comments are certainly invited.
I know that your letters were not everybody's cup of tea, but I and many others I know who are active here have immensely enjoyed them. It has helped us cut through many misunderstandings in the world of technology which made me, for one, a better photographer because I understood and used my tools better. I would dare to use the analogy that you have been the MythBuster of photography.

Well, if your posts have been disrupting the mission of OPF (which I cannot even fathom why), then the management should have removed the many disruptive forum categories which have encouraged you, me and others to post on those topics. You are the 3rd highest poster in OPF to date. I highly doubt that OPF would be what it is if you had not been doing what you have done.

Now if this is the state of things in OPF, I have no choice but to follow your lead. I expect to post far less, if any, here. I will continue to publish my pictures on my web site. Please feel free to visit me there and comment if you want to.

StuartRae

Doug,

I've always enjoyed reading your letters, and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for them. In my opinion they have enriched rather than diluted the photographic experience.

Best wishes,

Stuart

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Thank you so much for your continued (and regular) support of my work here.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Stuart,

I've always enjoyed reading your letters, and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for them. In my opinion they have enriched rather than diluted the photographic experience.
Thanks you so much for your kind note, and for your continuing support of my work here.

Best regards,

Doug

. . .
. . .
Doug
This is absurd.

This sort of content ought to be encouraged, not discouraged.

Asher...fix this...PRONTO.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Winston,

This is absurd.

This sort of content ought to be encouraged, not discouraged.

Asher...fix this...PRONTO.
Don't feel that the environment I mentioned was created by any policies of the forum management.

But certainly thanks for your support.

Best regards,

Doug