• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Serious Thank You To Asher Kelman

Mike Spinak

pro member
Before I joined openphotographyforums, a couple months ago, Asher Kelman (the owner and Editor-in-Chief of OPF) and I did not know each other at all. I vaguely recognized his name, from seeing a few of his posts on Rob Galbraith's forum. I imagine he'd probably never heard of me.

When I came here, I suggested that there was a need for a forum about close up photography. Asher asked me to moderate that forum. We exchanged a few phone calls and emails, and worked it out. Since then, we've been friendly, but certainly did not know each other well.

As some of you may not know, besides Asher's photography interests, he is an accomplished medical doctor and professor.

A few days ago I was plunged into a serious medical emergency. (I'm still not entirely through it, but the worst seems to be behind me.) As this occurred, Asher jumped into action. He kept close track of me over 8 hours of phone conversations and dozens of emails, took relevant medical histories, did research, contacted people, ran diagnostic programs, advised me, stayed up all night long to be there for me, advocated for me to my emergency room physicians, and even more. He told me what to say to whom in the ER, for best safety, best medical treatment, best protection of my rights as a patient, and best savings of my money. He was fundamentally important in determining a correct diagnosis with a dangerous condition where every hour counted.

As it turned out, the ER doctors made a mistake with a strong possibility of proving fatal for me, and the next day Asher was, again, researching for me, advising me, advocating for me, and even more. He was deeply involved with catching this error, and getting it corrected, before it was too late.

Asher, a man who barely knew me, went far beyond the call of duty, and has quite literally been integral to saving my life.

Asher, thank you. I am eternally grateful.

And to all of you OPF forumites, you need to know that the owner of this site is not your ordinary photography site owner. He has a heart, and a dedication, and a passion, that has to be experienced to be believed.

He is a true hero.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Diane Fields

Mike Spinak said:
And to all of you OPF forumites, you need to know that the owner of this site is not your ordinary photography site owner. He has a heart, and a dedication, and a passion, that has to be experienced to be believed.

He is a true hero.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Mike, I'm so glad you're going to be okay. Is the diagnosis still Rocky Mt. Spotted Fever? (I ask this because my state usually has the most cases in the US--though far from the Rocky Mts.--most of us know the basic early symptoms, but its easy to miss them---and we all have ticks as part of our daily lives if you spend time outdoors).

I had this feeling about Asher from the beginning and its grown---but this goes far beyond what any of us would ever have believed would have occurred. Thanks for telling us. And to you, Asher---its not sufficient to just say 'kudos', but know that there's a lot more behind that.

Diane

This is what I cherish about the good (online) communities. While their primary purpose can be just one thing (photography, in OPF case), the amount of mutually accumulated knowledge is brain-melting... Once I had a my family (wifie and two little kids) stuck behind the foreign border due to some minor red-tape silly error in the papers. An online friend (whom I didn't even know personally) single-handedly managed the local "rescue" operation, and they were able to return home to me.

WTG, Asher! Happy for you, Mike!

Scott B. Hughes

Although I don't know you, Mike I do send my wishes for a quick recovery.

Far as Asher goes, clearly he's a good guy.... or he's after all your macro gear. <s>

-Scott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nill Toulme said:
Hey Asher, I've got this recurring pain in my shoulder, right above the shoulder blade, right about here...

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
Nil,

There's no doubt that you have severe strain from your 1D series cameras and white lenses. I'm ordering you to Fedex them to me where I will shrink them down to a much more suitable compact Olympus with a Zoom lens and you will heal. Surgery to your arm will not be needed. The key is downsizing your camera. This is all one piece and much more ergonomic.

Regarding your outstanding bill, as you don't have insurance, your camera and lenses will serve as partial payment and I'll write off the remainder of you bill as a courtesy.

In the long run you have an excellent prognosis. Your ongoing risks are less both healthwise and financially. You will have reduced medical expenses and will no longer need overpriced lenses nor to spend money on gadgets to clean the sensor. Furthermore, your insurance will go way down as the Olympus is only meant to last 6 months.

By then, you'll be able to get one for free with any 2GB compact flash card purchase or or a weekend at any Holiday Inn.

Kindest wishes,

Asher Kelman M.D., Ph.D.

Nill Toulme

The cameras? Wow, I'm glad I finally consulted a professional as I would never have thought of that. I've been blaming it on (a) the mouse, (b) the fly rod and (c) my in-laws...

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Mary Bull

Serious opinion, here, from me--since the thread has taken such a charmingly lighthearted turn, I don't want any of what I'm about to say to be understood as banter, except where so marked.

First, Mike, I'm glad you're getting better. I, too, know you only as an OPF member that I encountered here after joining, a mere 8 days ago. But I followed your "Woke up this morning thread" with considerable concern and anxiety. Was most relieved as better news began to come along.

Second, Although this is coals to Newcastle--or owls to Athena--stay in close touch with Asher. I know that you do and will.

Third, @Asher--I read your bio as soon as I registered here, and I knew Mike was in good hands when I saw your first post to him in the "I woke up this morning" thread. Now that I've found out how you stood by Mike, and may literally have saved his life, you'll have to be wary of appeals for medical assistance from me. /banter mode on/ You may have my Canon PowerShot G2 as a down payment. /banter mode off/.

As I posted to Mike's thread before I saw that you were on the case, I hoped he would go straight to the emergency room, asking his personal physician to meet him there. And now it turns out that Mike needed you to protect him in the ER!

Also, as I told Mike in another post: A practicing M.D. on one of the mailing lists I'm subscribed to made me quit dilly-dallying with a mean cough last August and go to ny doctor. My doctor practices in a clinic, so I went there and not to the ER. What I thought was just a bad cold turned out to be pneumonia. Good treatment, and all's well.

M.D.s don't have an easy time of it in the U.S. these days. I've inside info on that, with a sister and a daughter currently practicing. But the good ones are worth their weight in gold--or fine lenses, as the case may be.

Just my U.S. $.02 worth.