• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Songs to go with vernacular photography

Don Lashier said:
There are a number, some mentioned here.. I've ridden on the Shantytown one, should have some photos somewhere.

- DL

I've ridden on the Felton to Bear Mountain "Roaring Camp" but didn't realize there was anything strange about the right hand side of the locomotive (a two-truck Shay). I'll also check my pictures from that trip.

scott

Don Lashier

scott kirkpatrick said:
I've ridden on the Felton to Bear Mountain "Roaring Camp" but didn't realize there was anything strange about the right hand side of the locomotive (a two-truck Shay). I'll also check my pictures from that trip.

Forgot about that one - I've been on that one also. Also should have pics somewhere.

As a kid I was very aware of the shay variants. They were common in Colorado as well as the NW timber regions. I've also ridden the D&RGW Durango/Silverton NG but don't recall that being a shay.

- DL

Don Lashier said:
Forgot about that one - I've been on that one also. Also should have pics somewhere.

As a kid I was very aware of the shay variants. They were common in Colorado as well as the NW timber regions. I've also ridden the D&RGW Durango/Silverton NG but don't recall that being a shay.

- DL

Roaring Camp has all three kinds of geared engines in various states of repair, but I think when we rode it (2002 or 3) we got the conventional Hawaiian engine. I have also ridden the Durango/Silverton 10-20 years ago, but that route is so spectacular that I couldn't possibly remember the locomotive.

Anyway, the Kinsey book, "Locomotive Portraits," puts the various web pictures to shame. It's amazing the amount of detail that an 11x14 negative, contact-printed, can reveal. And you get to see the crews, both train crews and woods crews, as well as read interviews with them. My son naturally liked the description by one old timer of how he had learned to drive a locomotive by himself when he was ten years old.

scott