• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Divine Inspiration" Finally Finished...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Benjamen,

This is truly exceptional imagery. You are talented and the images have a sensuous nature and are beautiful and interesting. The use of common household chores for a model made divine with a whole team of stylis slaves is really edgy and fun.

I wonder how long the make up takes. What staff do you use for a shoot like this and do you have a photo-asistant? That's nice to have the files named, backed up and put in the right folders immediately.;

Do you shoot holding the camera free or are any of these shots tethered? If so, what software works with the 10D.

I'm beyond impressed. I'm delighted.

I'm sure Pentax is/will be too!

Asher

Wow!

I can hardly wait until I have the time to look closely at each and every image in this wonderful series. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Wonderful job balancing that light!

I just read the front page interview with Stephen Eastwood and the challenges related to balancing light for digital cameras. Your lighting looks even more dramatic than Mr. Eastwood's.

The images look very clear and smooth. What lens(es) were used?

Lenses

Wonderful job balancing that light!

I just read the front page interview with Stephen Eastwood and the challenges related to balancing light for digital cameras. Your lighting looks even more dramatic than Mr. Eastwood's.

The images look very clear and smooth. What lens(es) were used?

For this shoot I used the 21mm which does have a back focus issue..A "chip set" change will probably be required. I primarily used the 40mm, 70mm Limited's and the 16-45 f4.0 soon to be replaced by the 16-50 f2.8. The 16-45 f4.0 was surprisingly sharp, with excellent contrast. Very much like my 17-40 L Canon lens. I hope the 16-50 does as well or better as my Canon 17-40 was used on about 80percent of my fashion magazine work. I will do the same with the 16-50 Pentax Star Lens.

The "TIME" Issues

Benjamen,

This is truly exceptional imagery. You are talented and the images have a sensuous nature and are beautiful and interesting. The use of common household chores for a model made divine with a whole team of stylis slaves is really edgy and fun.

I wonder how long the make up takes. What staff do you use for a shoot like this and do you have a photo-asistant? That's nice to have the files named, backed up and put in the right folders immediately.;

Do you shoot holding the camera free or are any of these shots tethered? If so, what software works with the 10D.

I'm beyond impressed. I'm delighted.

I'm sure Pentax is/will be too!

Asher

Hello Asher;

Generally for a shoot, it takes about two hours to prepare the model for the first shot which sets the precedent for the rest of the day. The maintenance is between fifteen and thirty minutes between each shot after the initial preparation. I generally have two assistance, one from the studio and a personal assistant. I often have three if the shoot is more demanding. The general staff for a Fashion Magazine shoot is the following. A Fashion Stylist who chooses the clothing and accessories dependent on the theme of the shoot and His/Her assistant. A Hair Stylist and assistant a Make-Up artist and assistant. The Fashion Editor and assistant from the magazine. The Post Production Artist (Retoucher) and a GOOD LUNCH. I do not shoot tethered. My images get downloaded via a card reader to my or the studio's MAC. I never use a tripod...Yeccchhhhh. Too pragmatic and stilted. I like to be mobile. That is why I don't like large format camera's even though I used to use Horseman and Sinar stuff. I really want the Pentax 645D badly or their future larger frame sensor DSLR that will come eventually.

I will shoot a story called "Diva" this weekend using the K10D for a fourth time. Fourth because I did use it for two AD Campaigns for a support no larger than a magazine which I cannot show at this time. I used the K10D and the 40 and 70 Limited for it.

Have a Pleasant Day
Ben

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Ben for that great information!

Still with all that crew, one has to know what to do!

We are proud to have you here and sharing!

BTW, Stephen Eastwood is a wonderful photographer too and treasured by Canon Inc. His work will be very noticable at the coming PMA!

He chooses his models so carefully. One of them, I wont disclose which, is actually a lawyer! He does come to Los Angeles to shoot and I enjoy his company!

Asher

Canon

Thanks Ben for that great information!

Still with all that crew, one has to know what to do!

We are proud to have you here and sharing!

BTW, Stephen Eastwood is a wonderful photographer too and treasured by Canon Inc. His work will be very noticable at the coming PMA!

He chooses his models so carefully. One of them, I wont disclose which, is actually a lawyer! He does come to Los Angeles to shoot and I enjoy his company!

Asher

Hello Asher;

I was a loyal Canon user since 1987 and used their 35mm and DSLR's up until about three weeks ago. Of course for large and medium format I used everything from the venerable Fuji 680 and Horseman's, Sinar's ,Pentax 67's & 645's, Bronica's, 'Blad's and Mamiya's. However as of this moment I am certain that I am going through a period of mourning...I kid you not. But, I have turned the page for now. We will see what the future brings.

Kyle Nagel

Hi Benjamin,

I was out of commission the last 2 days and was unable to view your images until this morning. They are stunningly beautiful, wonderful job. Incredible lighting, are you using strobes? or constant light sources? or both?

Also it is interesting to hear about the focus issue on the 21mm, I'm glad I already owned the 20mm FA and didn't end up buying the 21mm.

Please let us know how the 16-50mm with the sonic motor does, I'm actually somewhat interested in it, even though I'm a big prime lens fan, that one is very tempting, especially with the high speed motor and the water and dust seals, the fast aperture doesn't hurt either.

Kyle

16-50 & 50-135

Hi Benjamin,

I was out of commission the last 2 days and was unable to view your images until this morning. They are stunningly beautiful, wonderful job. Incredible lighting, are you using strobes? or constant light sources? or both?

Also it is interesting to hear about the focus issue on the 21mm, I'm glad I already owned the 20mm FA and didn't end up buying the 21mm.

Please let us know how the 16-50mm with the sonic motor does, I'm actually somewhat interested in it, even though I'm a big prime lens fan, that one is very tempting, especially with the high speed motor and the water and dust seals, the fast aperture doesn't hurt either.

Kyle

Hello Kyle;

Pentax told me the middle of this month. I'll have both the 16-50 & 50-135. I will try them out asap after receiving them and give them a workout. If they are as good as my 17-40L lens was which I am sure they well be, as the 16-45 is very sharp, I'll use it as often as I did the Canon.

Best Wishes
Ben