• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Steve McCurry: Final Exposure

Bob Rogers

I received the current issue of the Penn State Alumni Association magazine, and a Steve McCurry image is on the cover. Turns out he went to Penn State.

There's an article in the magazine, called "Final Exposure." It says that when Mr. McCurry found out that Kodachrome was being discontinued, he asked Kodak if he could have the very last roll of it to come off the production line. The article (plus the cover) presents 10 of the images from this final roll of Kodachrome, along with a short essay.

One of the images is a self portrait, standing next to a New York taxi. At first I thought it was a strange image to include on this final roll of film (he went all over the world with it!). Imagine the thought that went into each release of the shutter! But then I noticed the license plate on the cab is PKR-36. ;-)

So if you have a well stocked library nearby you might want to see if they have The Penn Stater in their periodicals collection and take a look.

Bob Rogers

Cem,

I did miss the prior thread, thanks for pointing that out. I tried searching but didn't find it. Oh well. Anyway, the magazine article is worth a look, even if you've seen the blog.