• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Happy palindromic day

Doug Kerr

If we write today's date in the traditional American civil numeric format, with two digit months and days, and all four digits of the year, and without separators, it is:

This is a palindrome - a sequence of characters that is the same if read in reverse order.

I saw several news stories today that said that the occurrence of this type of "8-digit" date palindrome is a once in 10,000 year occurrence.

Of course it is no such thing.

The next such palindrome occurs on December 2, 2021:

The next one will be on October 12, 2101:

The most recent prior one was on October 2, 2001:

So I have no idea what the authors of the articles were thinking.**

Now, if we write today's date in the ISO standard numeric form* (again with no separators), we also get a palindrome:

*Also used in Japan for "western" dates, and in Hungary​

So happy palindromic day, folks.

** Now, there is a unique property of today's date, in that specific numeric form, that can be said to be a "once in 10,000 years occurrence". That number is the product of three consecutive prime numbers (7, 11, and 13) raised to the powers 2, 3, and 2 respectively. It is said that no other palindromic date number up to CE 9999 will have that property. (I have confirmed this.)

I suspect that somebody reading an original article that included that obscure fact got confused.

There's a lot of that going around.

Best regards,

Doug

If one uses the "last two digits" convention for the year and vertical separators to demark days, months, and years the 11th of November this years looks nice: 11|11|11.

And 1961 was a great year; one of the few years that look right way up on the ground-glass of a view camera. There won't be another example for a while!