• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Handing a camera to a 4 year old!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My grandson, nealry 4 years old, asked if we could go for a walk to find dandelions. So I equipped him with a tiny camera bag and a magnifying glass to go in it. We made sure we had the key of the house and marched out.

Immediately he found a a clump of red berries and wanted to photograph them. I set the camera to AV and auto focus and gave it to him. I guided his little finger to the right button but did not influence what he chose to point at. I just told him to press the button very slowly.

These are the first pictures he took.

_0035167_1.jpg

_0035168_1.jpg

I was impressed and so our morning together began! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Let me add that the child's aim for the berries, that were so interesting to him, was purposeful and consistent! That told me that he was perhaps ready to shoot more! So, this time, on this walk, the magnifying glass would be merely a secondary instrument!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Then he discovered his first dandelion of the day!

_0035176 1.jpg

and after studying it with his magnifying glass, dispatched it by hand as he could not blow away all the seeds.

Next I found a set of leaves lying on the grass. He shared the camera without a fuss. We have a kind of partnership. So this next one, I do believe is mine!

_0035195 1.jpg

I gave him back the camera, "I'm a photographer too!" and he went for a scarf that someone had dropped and someone else had put up on the wall so it would be noticed!

_0035208 1.jpg

This impressed me no end, he's interested in found objects! I think it's related to a game which his uncle invented of Sherlock Holmes, in which he has to discover evidence left behind. No doubt a scarf is piece of clothing and such a piece of important evidence no self-respecting detective could ignore!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I've come to believe that children are thirsty for bonding with family and role playing, whether it's being a giant, a superhero, singing Bob Marley and Beatles songs or dribbling a football and learning to kick it. Without that investment of attention, effort and time, their brains and bodies really don't have the necessary stimuli to develop full potential.

I'm in awe of what might be possible for each child! It's a thrilling experience to watch them learn and enjoy new things.

Asher

Jerome Marot

The camera is a GXR, 50mm 2.5 Macro, APS C sized sensor.

I see. I was asking to better visualize the interaction between the child and the camera. I have lent my camera to my kids a few times, but they were older and it was a slr, which is used very differently. They would frame much better with the SLR than with a P&S, where one frames on screen. I am sorry, I don't have the pictures at hand.

Andrew Stannard

pro member
A great start to his photographic life Asher! For you it must be pleasing that he is already wanting to point the camera at specific objects, rather than just take random shots of the world (something which many adults will do!).

My own daughter has only just turned 2, so a bit young yet, although she already gets the idea and can say 'camera', so a good start!

Andrew.

Asher Kelman

Jerome and Andrew,

Thanks for your responses. I tried the DSLR but it was far too heavy. I gave him a kids camera but the screen was too tiny and his brain did not associate pointing with framing what will be captured. The advantage of the compact camera is that it's easy to grip and see the live picture to make the connection between what is scene and what the picture will be. Also, the fact that it's the very camera that I value most, makes it especially important to the child. He knows he has something important and that I trust him.

"I'm a photographer too!" convinced me of that. :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Two objects I merely "pointed out", "Look!", but did not direct in any way.

Here, I admit to pointing to the coke can, "look at that!"

However, I did not suggest more. He went over the sidewalk some 20 feet and decided on the shot without any other signals from "Granpa Asher".

_0035214 1.jpg

Nothing is added or changed from what he saw and got. That leaf happened to be there. That's how artful serendipity can be.

_0035243 1 1.jpg

I do not think that he mused, "Let's see if we can get a more dramatic close up?" That could be that he just walked up to the hydrant to about the same distance he used for the smaller things. Only after I see a lot of his pics can I guess how he is framing his snaps.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Jerome and Andrew,

Thanks for your responses. I tried the DSLR but it was far too heavy. I gave him a kids camera but the screen was too tiny and his brain did not associate pointing with framing what will be captured. The advantage of the compact camera is that it's easy to grip and see the live picture to make the connection between what is scene and what the picture will be. Also, the fact that it's the very camera that I value most, makes it especially important to the child. He knows he has something important and that I trust him.

"I'm a photographer too!" convinced me of that. :)

Asher

Asher, I think you have identified the problem and a solution, thanks will keep that in mind with my wee yin -

cheers

Asher Kelman

Asher, I think you have identified the problem and a solution, thanks will keep that in mind with my wee yin -

cheers

It's refreshing to walk with a child! Now he's pointing at people:

_0035273 1.jpg

_0035253 1.jpg

...and some of them to pose!

_0035330 2.jpg

He does not always get things straight but always checks after the shot to see the result. So this is very different from how I taught his father photography, with my forefinger and thumb from each hand making a frame and calling that photography.

Asher