• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Withstanding What Life Throws at Us!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We have our goals and work hard, but then things happen. Our own personal ideas and our success have to withstand and get past the buffeting of what just happens.

_MG_1568from jpg_400.jpg

Asher Kelman: Calla Lillies

Los Angleles, March 2010

5D Mark I, ISO 200, 1/400 at f5.6

Asher

Asher Kelman

When I saw the flowers buffeted by the wind and rain, I was disappointed that I could not photograph them. Then I realized that now was the special time to look at our need for resilience.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Sharp and great respect of shadow with delicate light… Kudos!
Only the brown area on the top is a bit disturbing… but could be easily cropped.

Andy brown

Asher,
they what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
It seems true to a large extent.
I have a friend who always seemed to maintain an indomitable spirit despite life throwing her repeated curve balls. A while ago she had a nasty accident (came of a push bike a great speed on a hill and required facial reconstructive surgery).
She still maintains a strong spirit and good humour but even she is starting to seem somewhat careworn.

Asher Kelman

Asher,
they what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
It seems true to a large extent.
I have a friend who always seemed to maintain an indomitable spirit despite life throwing her repeated curve balls. A while ago she had a nasty accident (came of a push bike a great speed on a hill and required facial reconstructive surgery).
She still maintains a strong spirit and good humour but even she is starting to seem somewhat careworn.

Andy,

I wish your friend well. A major healing and coping factor now is social support!

Everyone responds to stress differently and a lot depends on the emotional and social support one has. Some soldiers under siege, running out of rations, near animal existence are forever damaged. Others with great leadership seem to get new energy and self worth, drawing on hidden reserves to come out better men.

Asher

I love all the clinging little droplets, Asher, it really brings out the shape and texture of the flower and shows how luscious it is. As for the brown on top that Nicolas is talking about, it is easy to see if you add a temporary adjustment layer in Photoshop and just move the gamma slider to the left. Now you will see it's the cement wall behind the flowers. I probably would simply burn that portion out and then throw away the adjustment layer. I think it will make it sure that people with bright monitors get that really nice portrait session with a couple gorgeous flowers which I think was the actual intent.

Beautiful. :)

Asher Kelman

I love all the clinging little droplets, Asher, it really brings out the shape and texture of the flower and shows how luscious it is............

'''

Thanks Maggie,

I hadn't realized the issue with monitors brighter than mine. I work in low light and then on an iMac 24" it seems fine. So I'll attend to the top as suggested.

Asher

Robert Watcher

I love all the clinging little droplets, Asher, it really brings out the shape and texture of the flower and shows how luscious it is. As for the brown on top that Nicolas is talking about, it is easy to see if you add a temporary adjustment layer in Photoshop and just move the gamma slider to the left. Now you will see it's the cement wall behind the flowers. I probably would simply burn that portion out and then throw away the adjustment layer. I think it will make it sure that people with bright monitors get that really nice portrait session with a couple gorgeous flowers which I think was the actual intent.

For my tastes, it may just be a matter of cropping more of the top part of the frame out. But then I am one of those guys who in general prefers composition to be not centred so much - - - especially with flowers. But really nice image Asher.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
As for the brown on top that Nicolas is talking about, it is easy to see if you add a temporary adjustment layer in Photoshop and just move the gamma slider to the left.

I think it will make it sure that people with bright monitors get that really nice portrait session with a couple gorgeous flowers which I think was the actual intent.

Just for info, I look at the image on a calibrated Nec Spectraview 3090 monitor… not so bright !