• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News from Nicolas Claris in Dusseldorf big Prints for big clients!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I heard from Nicolas at the Dusseldorf Boat Show.exhibiti. His son Romain is here manning the claris booth. Notice the print is 3 meters high!

IMG_2830.jpg

© Nicolas Claris "Claris Exhibit 2009 Dusseldorf Boat Show"
Some of you may already know Romain as a talented videographer.

Work like this is really beautiful.

img04.jpg

© Nicolas Claris do not download or copy

One thing for sure; the color of every nuance of the wood grain is going to be perfect as only only Nicolas' eyes make that judgement each step of the way. I'm always impressed. Look at the rest of the Dusseldorf pictures here. If you are going to the boat show, stop by and introduce yourself.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thanks Asher!
my internet connection is not that good at the hotel, and good int he fair but, despite what is shown on the picture (shot before opening) we're qite busy… so I can't check OPF regularly.

A small correction, the Lambda print is 2.5 high and 3 meters wide…

Cheers to all OPFers! (and yes the one around Dusseldorf are welcome to visit (I can get free pass cards to get in…

fahim mohammed

Nicolas's work is admirable. having recently seen the video on the racing yatch, my admiration has only
increased.

best.

nicolas claris

Bart and I are going to be there, if our plans do not change, on Saturday.

That's great news! Gi'me a call when you arrive to North Entrance so I can come to pick you with entrance tickets!

If one of you could bring a camera, you could report here on the print IQ (with a more objective "eye" than me :)

nicolas claris

They came! both Bart (which I had met twice before) and Cem.

2 absolutely fabulous guys!

I guess they will report their impressions here…

I am too busu right now to report, but will comment their comments ;-) !!!

Cem_Usakligil

We had a great meet with Nicolas

Hi,

As Nicolas has already written, Bart and I have paid a visit to him yesterday. For me it was a leisurely drive of 2.5 hours door-to-door (and another 2.5 hours back, 210 km one way) but it was absolutely worth it.

It seems that I know Nicolas very well by now, having been in contact with him intensively for the past three years. But meeting omebody in person for the first time is always something else. I found out that both Nicolas and his son Romain are even better in real life, so there are absolutely no disappointments on my account. I hope that the feeling is mutual ;-).

We have of course seen this huge lambda print of 2.5x3 m on the wall of the stand. It was a real eye-catcher. All the passers-by would stop and take a look at it before they moved on. Even when one scrutinized it from a very close distance, the print quality and the dpi/details delivered fully. Nicolas has done a great job in enlarging this 1dsMkIII file. Bart has taken some macro pictures of the print in order to share the details with you on OPF later. I did not have anything else but my G9 with me and took this (meta) picture of Bart taking pictures with his 1ds Mk III mounted on a Gitzo tripod with a RRS ballhead and the associate brackets.

The time passes very quickly when one enjoys himself immensely and soon it was time for me drive back home. But I have had a great day and I am very glad to have met Nicolas and Romain in person at last.

So here is the picture of Bart taking pictures. The technical details are:
Canon G9, raw, ISO 200, 1/10s, f/4.8, 44mm (200 mm equivalent in 35mm format), handheld. Converted to jpg via ACR and PS CS4, sharpened with Focus Magic, slight LCE and global contrast correction.

bootmesse1.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited:

nicolas claris

Hi Cem

Mutual feelings!

A little correction though, the camera I used for the shot was a 1dsMkIII not 1dMkIII… ;-)

Yes it was great meeting you and Bart, was a nice recreation during the show.

Hope to see you soon again!

Let's see now what Bart will show and C&C the print…

We have of course seen this huge lambda print of 2.5x3 m on the wall of the stand. It was a real eye-catcher. All the passers-by would stop and take a look at it before they moved on. Even when one scrutinized it from a very close distance, the print quality and the dpi/details delivered fully. Nicolas has done a great job in enlarging this 1dsMkIII file. Bart has taken some macro pictures of the print in order to share the details with you on OPF later.

Hi Cem,

Yes, it was a delight meeting Nicolas and Romain. It was also quite funny to see so many people stop, and admire the image.

Here is the result of the image you took of me, taking a picture of the picture Nicolas took, well you get the drift.
9170_96PPI.jpg

The vertical line is where the mounting panels met (otherwise it's a bit hard to transport in one piece).

And another crop, also from the center of the image:
9172_96PPI.jpg

If I made the right calculations, then one should see the crops at pretty much the same size as they were in reality, approx. 174.4 x 116.4 mm (6.865 x 4.583 inch) on a 96 PPI monitor. Mind you, at 3 metres wide that's something like a 83x magnification, looked at from the same distance as between you and your monitor.
The colors might be slightly different than the real print, because I had to shoot under mixed lighting, but I did use a WhiBal to get the mixed Color Balance right. What I want to show here is the kind of resolution a 1Ds3 is capable of after skilled postprocessing.

Here's a quick shot of the whole display in it's surroundings, with ugly reflections from e.g. other booths and spots and such:
ClarisBooth.jpg

It doesn't do the image justice, it's something one should experience in real life. Words like impressive, and stunning, fail to convey the sensation.

When Nicolas get's everything packed today (last day of the Boot 2009 fair) and gets back home safe, he might like to post a couple of 100% zoom crops of the same areas from his original file. That would give us an opportunity to try some different magnification methods to see if we can get similar results.

Bart

Last edited:
Nice to see our lowland friends again....that show must have been quite fun and the images are stunning.

Hi Kathy,

Yes, I had fun, and I think Cem as well (only after the 15 minute shuttle drive from the parking lot). The Dusseldorf Messe (fair/exhibition), in this case 'Boat 2009', in Germany, is a reasonably large scale event (even despite the banking crisis). It's always fun meeting people one (might) like, kindred spirits in a way. Well, we all share at least one passion, photography, and with Nicolas it's time well spent!

I only spent a small amount of time on the rest of the exhibition, a couple of hours. But the meets with Nicolas (and his son Romain, this time) adds 'something' special!

Kind regards,
Bart

nicolas claris

Hi Bart

here are the same crop (yhough larger) of the original file…

crop from orignal file --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bart's shot

9170_NC.jpg
-
9170_96PPI.jpg

crop from orignal file --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bart's shot

9172_NC.jpg
-
9172_96PPI.jpg

Hi Bart

here are the same crop (though larger) of the original file…

Hi Nicolas,

Well, it looks like my uncalibrated repros in mixed light are not too far off ;-)

Could you post the crops of the original Raw conversion, from the 5616x3744 pixel file?
The colors would be as C1 Pro converted them, and without any sharpening. It would be interesting to see what people can do to enlarge them.

Bart

nicolas claris

Bonsoir Bart
I'll have to check if I still have something "out of the box"… not sure as I usually save and not "save as" from the original export…
Maybe I can recreate if I haven't changed C1 pro setings in the meantime…

Yes your color balance is not that far! and also the colors may have been slightly "altered" by the printer…