• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My 5DMII

Ron Morse

So far I just love it.
I noticed my M/F lenses are real easy to use with it. Maybe the bigger brighter view finder. I had a lot of problems focusing with my 40D.
I can get focus confirm about always at f/8 with my M/F lenses. I haven't tried higher yet.
It seems to meter better than the 40D with AV indoors and out using the M/F lenses.
I can adjust the adapters to focus right on the money with the micro-adjustment.

So far all I have taken are snapshots learning the camera and flash.

All shots with the yashica ML 50/1.7
I was checking out the micro-adjust with the focus confirm adapters on Dudleys face, hence the lack of feet.

Dudley trying on his new coat.

After playing hard with Maxwell for an hour.

One of the first shots that I took with the new camera. Just a quick grab really to see what it would do in the back yard. Have I mentioned that I hate snow. Especially 3 feet of it.

Ron Morse

Congrats for your new cam, very sharp! (good lens too) can you post some 100% crop?

Thanks Nicolas. I'll will make a big crop for you. Some of these old manual focus lenses are really nice if you get the focus right. I looked back and found that I paid $27.00 for the lense.

Ron Morse

Well I see I didn't get it perfect. When the focus is right this lense will show every individual hair. I should have used live view 10x.
I need to get the lens-align to get it right. Maybe my next purchase.

Daniel Buck

looks good!

I'd love to see 3 feet of fresh snow! I've hardly ever seen snow in my life (usually the kind of snow that melts before it hits the ground) and the one time I've seen huge amounts of snow, it was already packed hard as ice.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So far I just love it.
I noticed my M/F lenses are real easy to use with it. Maybe the bigger brighter view finder. I had a lot of problems focusing with my 40D.
I can get focus confirm about always at f/8 with my M/F lenses. I haven't tried higher yet.
It seems to meter better than the 40D with AV indoors and out using the M/F lenses.
I can adjust the adapters to focus right on the money with the micro-adjustment.

I was checking out the micro-adjust with the focus confirm adapters
Ron,

Could you describe that more? It seems that with live view and focus adjust, MF lenses seem more practical.

One of the first shots that I took with the new camera. Just a quick grab really to see what it would do in the back yard. Have I mentioned that I hate snow. Especially 3 feet of it.

Ron and other 5D II owners. Beware that the 5D II is purposely made not to compete with the waether sealed 1DsIII. On Michael Reichman's recent expedition a high percentage of the 5D II unites used by various photographers failed even with out subzero temps! These are not all weather-all terrain vehicles! It's for this reason that I praise Nikon's D700 and Pentax' 200D for being better protected. and of course, the Olympus DSLR you can take in your shower, it seems!

Obviously, Canon is way behind here and I say that as a loyal Canon user!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So far I just love it.

I was checking out the micro-adjust with the focus confirm adapters
Ron,

Could you describe that more? It seems that with live view and focus adjust, MF lenses seem more practical.

Ron and other 5D II owners. Beware that the 5D II is purposely made not to compete with the weather sealed 1DsIII. On Michael Reichman's recent expedition a high percentage of the 5D II units used by various photographers are said to have failed even without subzero temps!

Michael Reichamn said:
In a summary session on the last day at the Peninsula I asked everyone to report on any equipment failures. Here's the tally.

The top LCD on a 5D MKII spontaneously cracked; Another 5D MKII had a jambed on lens caused by a loose screw, a 1Ds MKIII reported intermittent problems; a 1D MKIII kept reporting Error 99; one Hasselblad reported electronic lens connection problems; two Canon G9's failed (no G10s had any reported problems), and a Nikon 80-400mm lens came apart. No Nikon bodies (mostly D700s) failed in any way.

The largest group of failures through were among the Canon 5D MKIIs. Of the 26 samples of this camera onboard, one quarter (six) failed at one time or another, and while three recovered, the other three never did. In all cases it appeared to be water or humidity damage. Of particular concern were two cameras which stopped working while completely protected within Kata rain covers during a light rain ashore. They came back to life the following day though and were mostly fine for the rest of the trip, but one died permenently just before the end of our voyage.

Several people noted that when returning to the ship after working in light rain 5D MKIIs with vertical battery grips tended to collect water in between the grip and the base – something that may have been the cause of some of the failures.

I should note that the 5D MKII's are not rated as weather resistant, but then neither are the Sony A900's. I deliberately allowed both of my A900 bodies be exposed to the rain for two days ashore to see how they would stand up. There were no operational difficulties. I also have used the Sonys back here in Toronto in snow storms, (unprotected), both before and after the Antarctic trip, with no ill effects. Though also not claimed as weather sealed, they appear to be as well protected as any other camera I've ever used.

As for the failed Canon 5D MKIIs, I hope that expedition members will report back to me with what Canon service has to say about what happened to them. As for the loaner that we had, Canon says that it was a unit that had been in circulation for testing prior to coming my way and it might have suffered some water damage previously.

I don't know what conclusions should be drawn from this high percentage of 5D MKII failures. All I can do is report on the facts of the matter. As for the weather during which most of the failures happened, it was no worse than a drizzly day in winter in New York or Berlin. Nothing Antarctic about it at all. Source

So, these wonderful 5DII cameras are imaging marvels but need to be respected as really good weather and studio c ameras and for sure will give a lot of great use. The relevance of Michael Reichman's findings remain to be shown. Still, I'm impressed that Nikon's D700, the Pentax' 200D appear to be weather protected. We have yet to get a report of several dozen of each tested at the same time! The Olympus DSLR, of course is a legend to me, at least, since Georg Baumann confided to me that he takes rinses it his shower, washing off the beach salt and sand. Zero harm, seems!

Obviously, Canon is way behind here and I say that as a loyal Canon user!As a loyal Canon user, I'd love to see the next 5D iteration be given professional level weather and dust protection.

The failure due to water getting between the booster and the 5D couldn't happen to me as I see no reason to ever use a booster for my way of working. The 5D is light and agile as it is! If I want a different grip I use the 1DII. One day it will be a 1DsIV, I guess!

Asher

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
And with some selective sharpening… (including whitening of the "nose" reflections):

Edited:
mg0361cpn8_NC.jpg

Original:

Ron Morse

Ron,

Asher, You adjust the micro-adjust until the focus confirm adapter light the red square/green light when it is in perfect focus the same as with an auto-focus lense. With live view its as easy as any auto focus lense. Just focus until you get the sharpest picture. Their are various M/F lenses that are as good as the best L glass that can be had cheap. I don't think that for a birder they would be as good nor do I use them for horse shows. Although I don't think I'd have any trouble with dressage and you could always pre-focus at a jump.

Ron Morse

looks good!

I'd love to see 3 feet of fresh snow! I've hardly ever seen snow in my life (usually the kind of snow that melts before it hits the ground) and the one time I've seen huge amounts of snow, it was already packed hard as ice.

Thanks Daniel.

Snow gets old real quick when you have to plow it over and over, road salt rusts car and slippery roads cause accidents. I heard on the evening news that it reached -51F one morning last week. The folks north of us in Canada had it even worse.

Ron Morse

And with some selective sharpening… (including whitening of the "nose" reflections):

Edited:
mg0361cpn8_NC.jpg

Original:

Showoff. LOL. Very nice Nicolas. I'll have to do a shot with liveview so you can see what this cheap lense can do with no sharpening and my new fair weather camera.

I'll give Bart's chart a go.

Ron Morse

Well I took a couple of quick shots hand holding using live view. It would have been better if I used a tripod and done better than 1/60 that these were, but I've had interruptions all morning.

5DMII
yashica ML 50/1.7
ISO 200
1/60.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Ha! That's sharper, but still, as the Beatles did sing…

mg0364cg0_NC.jpg

Whith a little help from my friend…

-----------

BTW have you tried at 400 ISO? would be interesting to see the noise or the lack of it… (and you could have shot faster tan 1/60)