• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Jonah and the Lionel

Jim Galli

Jonah_and_Lionel.jpg

jonah and lionel​

another generation gets the hook set :~'))

Ken Tanaka

pro member
A very cool shot, Jim. I sure can remember countless hours spent on my model rr as a youngster about Jonah's age.

Was the train moving in reverse or did you use 2nd curtain flash to get that trail in front of the engine?

Jim Galli

A very cool shot, Jim. I sure can remember countless hours spent on my model rr as a youngster about Jonah's age.

Was the train moving in reverse or did you use 2nd curtain flash to get that trail in front of the engine?

Hi Ken. Yes, and yes, it was going backwards and we used rear curtain flash and a rather slow shutter speed to get the effect. Thanks.

Jim Galli

So how long is the track and when do the women make it get packed away again?

I have just enough for a good sized loop on the living room carpet. It will be picked up again tomorrow after the boys go back home. I've been cured of Lionels for a while but the grandsons have rekindled an old flame. I bought a New Haven electric engine of about 1957 vintage just the other day..........for the laddies of course. Anybody got some 0-22 switches?

It's a very nice and telling photo of the now hooked lad. You can almost see his imagination whirring around just like the engine. I always wanted one when I was small but never had the opportunity. I had an uncle however that was really heavily into the "hobby". He had a huge basement setup with many multiple tracks, bridges over streams, mountains, people in towns, cattle, trees, the whole works. It was huge. He had a conductor's hat that he wore when running the trains. He never let me or my cousin run the trains but we still had fun just watching. He was a very strange uncle.
James Newman

Doug Kerr

Actually, first curtain sync would do that. We use second curtain sync to make the trail behind the moving object.

Of course this could have been done with the train moving backward and second curtain sync.

Best regards,

Doug

Jim Galli

Actually, first curtain sync would do that. We use second curtain sync to make the trail behind the moving object.

Of course this could have been done with the train moving backward and second curtain sync.

Best regards,

Doug

Yes, it was going backwards and we used rear curtain sync, slow speed. J

Doug Kerr

Never expected to get a response! No, can't use the 027's. I've always had the slightly larger 0 guage. Thanks! Jim
Ah, so. I didn't recognize the 0-22 notation.

Actually, O-27 and O are the same gauge. (The scales of the rolling stock are different.)

Best regards,

Doug

Ron Morse

That nice picture really brought back memories.

I still have my set from back in the late forties. We set it up for our daughter for a while when she was little. Everything still works fine. I wonder where you can get the smoke pellets for the stack.

Jim Galli

That nice picture really brought back memories.

I still have my set from back in the late forties. We set it up for our daughter for a while when she was little. Everything still works fine. I wonder where you can get the smoke pellets for the stack.

Thanks Ron. When your wife's not looking, squirt a little WD40 down the stack. It smells terrible (see advice above) but man does it smoke.