• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Battery for OM-1 Film Camera?

Hi guys!
i recently acquired an old olympus OM-1 slr camera. the viewfinder's quite dirty. but the lens is ok. (tried coupling it with my olympus dslr). however, the metering for the OM-1 doesn't work. on the internet, i researched that it needs a battery for it to work. but there aren't any batteries like that here in our country. is it possible to use other battery for it? what would you guys suggest?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Look up the product manufacturer's name for the battery and do a search on google and get it mailed to you. where do you live?

You might have to use a Nickel Hydride substitute if the original was a mercury containing battery as they are now outlawed in some places.

I hope you will show your pictures here!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Benjamin,

i recently acquired an old olympus OM-1 slr camera. the viewfinder's quite dirty. but the lens is ok. (tried coupling it with my olympus dslr). however, the metering for the OM-1 doesn't work. on the internet, i researched that it needs a battery for it to work. but there aren't any batteries like that here in our country. is it possible to use other battery for it? what would you guys suggest?

According to the OM-1 manual, the battery used is a PX-625.

This is in fact no longer available (owing to the mercury content of that design), nor any "direct" replacement, so far as I know.

There are various workarounds, none of them simple (that I know of). I suggest you do an Internet search and see what various people have to suggest.

The OM-1 manual is here:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/Oly_OM_1.pdf

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Benjamin,

Good link from Asher!

Another alternative (and much cheaper) is to use a #675 zinc/air hearing aid battery.
They can be purchased for around $1 US apiece, usually in packs of 4 or 6) and are available world-wide.

Here's a ("cute", I found it on the internet) illustration of the mod you'd have to do. It nothing more than inserting a small piece of insulated wire at the bottom of the battery compartment to make up for the slight difference in battery height.
VERY important: the diagram does not instruct you to drill a very small hole in the battery cover. Since Zinc Air cells need oxygen to operate.
Without the hole the battery will cease to operate. I'm not talking a big hole. The size of the period at the end of this sentence is sufficient.

Important note:

625.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, John,

Hi Benjamin,

Good link from Asher!

Another alternative (and much cheaper) is to use a #675 zinc/air hearing aid battery.
They can be purchased for around $1 US apiece, usually in packs of 4 or 6) and are available world-wide.

Here's a ("cute", I found it on the internet) illustration of the mod you'd have to do.

Fabulous! Thanks so much for this.

And what a cute sketch and instructions by "RAO".

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Benjamin,

Good link from Asher!

Here's a ("cute", I found it on the internet) illustration of the mod you'd have to do. It nothing more than inserting a small piece of insulated wire at the bottom of the battery compartment to make up for the slight difference in battery height.
VERY important: the diagram does not instruct you to drill a very small hole in the battery cover. Since Zinc Air cells need oxygen to operate.
Without the hole the battery will cease to operate. I'm not talking a big hole. The size of the period at the end of this sentence is sufficient.

Important note:

625.jpg

WOW! thanks for this! now all i have to do is to find a hearing aid battery... also, bought a SR44 battery... but it's 1.5 volts. i tried inserting it and it actually do work... (except when the battery is shaken on its place... )