• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

For Bike Enthusiast.....*Pic*

ErikJonas

Banned
I wont be doing any shooting this week as i will by sticking close to my mom for the most part.We'll see if she works monday her one day a week to work....Anyway...I thought i'd post a bright colorful image as the days have been so gray and gloomy....

This is from a calendar i was shooting for Hellbent Iron formerly Widowmakers...The bikes are built by a guy named Kevin who once had a Coors Light Bike Build Off against Jessie James...Kevin had the better bike when all was said and done.....if you want a bike built by him its a 3 year waiting list....

I'll see if i can find a shot of the tank, the tank is pretty awesome!! Standing directly behind me is the bike owner and the plant manager.....

On the Bike is Jordan the girl pictured in my Heritage series images posted in another thread which i have no idea where that is....

4303576211_1afc987d6e_o.jpg

Jordan age 17.......2008 built custom bike $55,000....Take at the Everett Cmex plant

StuartRae

Hi Erik,

I hope all goes well with your mom.

For me, this is the best image you've posted so far. The bike is magnificent - at least from the headstock back. Unfortunately the forks and front wheel look a bit unbalanced and clumsy compared to the delicacy of the tank. Still, I'm not an expert on this genre, being an old cafe racer myself.
Jordan is stunning although I have to agree with Charles to some extent. She's managed to turn a sexy pout into a look of distaste.
Well done though in spite of the minor criticisms. I'd have bought the calender!

Regards,

Stuart

ErikJonas

Banned
Stuart,

While there are some shots where a model is being sexy and shes being silly too more often then not its going to be a more serious look...Long before i did anything with a camera or models i e-mailed a pro model about images she'd done and how serious she looked and she told me the same thing, sexy or looking bad ass is not done with a goofy grin....

Oh and Stuart...On that soft sand it was tough to position that bike....Bike falling over on model, not a good thing....lol...But thanks for your honesty =)

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I wont be doing any shooting this week as i will by sticking close to my mom for the most part.We'll see if she works monday her one day a week to work....Anyway...I thought i'd post a bright colorful image as the days have been so gray and gloomy....

This is from a calendar i was shooting for Hellbent Iron formerly Widowmakers...The bikes are built by a guy named Kevin who once had a Coors Light Bike Build Off against Jessie James...Kevin had the better bike when all was said and done.....if you want a bike built by him its a 3 year waiting list....

I'll see if i can find a shot of the tank, the tank is pretty awesome!! Standing directly behind me is the bike owner and the plant manager.....

On the Bike is Jordan the girl pictured in my Heritage series images posted in another thread which i have no idea where that is....

What is your "Heritage series"?

4303576211_1afc987d6e_o.jpg

Erik Jonas: Jordan on a Custom Red Bike

Erik,

Most of you, the bike-maker, Jordan's parents, the roadway architects and God got it right! You brought it together in the right place. This is a nice concept for a bike picture. I like the simple list of components, the impressive grab you colors, bike design, concrete forms and simple gritty landscape.

In fact, since you imagined this, my commendation on making a usable concept and the arranging to get it done. So you have the needed vision. However, there are some issues.

Our job here is to respect your original intent of making a nice picture with jordan, but we still should give you honest professional comment as if this image is to compete in a commercial setting where this picture gets new high paying clients. So don't take our response to your work as a personal criticism of you or Jordan. The "wow" of the picture is there but not the finish it deserves.

Putting this in perspective, a pro team, (Say for Benjamin Kanarek, for example), might have had 4- 20 people on the job working with you. But we're not always blessed with those resources, so what then? I think that there are simple things within our capability and at no cost, that might be worth considering to markedly improving the realization of one's vision despite lack of funding.

1. First, as Charles points out, Jordan's expression is not the best for the image. That's why one hires very experienced models. Alternatively one puts on the right music gets however many variations until you both nail it. Hard work and your gentle guidance!

2. The lines of tire tracks in the background would be better being more extensive with one clear track ending where the bike is, for example or else should have been raked and brushed flat.

3. The job of getting the bike to the exact angle is a rigging responsibility and the factory or your team will build whatever is needed. I know it's damn hard. But given the beautiful sweep of the roadway coming at an angle from left to right, the front fork and wheel could follow that powerful direction.

4. Next, the entire shadow of Jordan and the bike should be considered part of the composition and some amelioration of its harshness on her face would be better by controlling that light yourself.

I grant you that this photograph is as an eye-catcher! It does show you have an ability to conceptualize an interesting idea for a snappy ad page or article. Materializing this can be a huge challenge without funds for lights, (apparently) and the team such projects deserve. It still might be brought to a higher level of execution by making agreements in exchange for pictures.

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned
Asher....First of all i pointed out that i knew Stuarts comments came from his honest perspective of the image not his opinion of me, where is that a harmful statement?He's one of the few people here whos comments i'd pay any mind to.

Secondly...I respectfully disagree with you as do a number of other people "That's why one hires very experienced models"...As per her look and Jordan IS a esablished model, Jordan is professional level in her posing....She poses better then most and has worked with a few select pros that would testify to this...I got the exact look i wanted for this image. I didnt want goofy grinning or warm smile...It is spot on...

Third...Lighting...Even if i had lights this was a in and out kind of deal no time to mess with lights and such and her shadow falls behind the bike impacting the picture very little...This was a working lot we were shooting in....

Fourth...Rigging...lol...This is a bike shop run by a biker. I had a hell of a time getting them just to get the bike there...I already had it shot in my head...The day before this they were whining about the bike didnt have tabs yet, have to rent a trailer blah blah blah.... And most calendars SUCK...He had 3 in his shop that i could out shoot on my worest day....Most calendars they put little effort into....KISW Rock Girls calendar shot by Bootsy Hollar shes a great photographer but the images in the calendar they are using girls off the street and locations that make no sense.Why...Cheap and quick is what they wanted not quality...

Again you had said "Jordan's expression is not the best for the image. That's why one hires very experienced models.".....And I disagree with you...And as for Jordan she is extremely experienced and talented as a model....When I took her to pro Steve MacAulay whos shot for Mens Fitness magazine,National Geographic and a number of other magazines..Hes very experienced has worked with a number of models both pro and new....I was in the room...Steve took 7 pictures of Jordan, her doing her own posing and he turned to me and said "thankyou" and went back to shooting.....

If you are shooting for sexy or bad ass its not a smile or soft look you want....

Having said all of the above i need to clearly state that it was NOT said with a angry or defensive tone....You comment on something i am going to respond to that...I dont in anyway take it personally....

The picture certainly is an eyecatcher! I have nothing very useful to add to the comments made by the other posters, it works for me. To some extent the things that have been critizised actually make it work better for me, saying "real bike, real girl, real dirt".
I would very much like to see a shot of somebody actually riding this bike, because its proportions make it look almost like it is intended as a sculpture.

Christoph

ErikJonas

Banned
Christoph....Thanks for the comment and no worries if you agree with them...As for the proportion of the bike this is a LONG bike and not having a wide angle lens i was forced to stand back from the bike a good distance....I'll have to measure it end to end but it is long....

StuartRae

Hi Erik,

To to put things straight, my comments about the bike were just that - a criticism of the machine, not the photographer. Perhaps a pair of gracefully sculpted girder forks would sit more comfortably with the rest of the bike?

Regards,

Stuart