• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

C&C

Rachel Foster

Critique and comment can be a risky business. Even though we are all ostensibly here for honest feedback, sometimes criticism can be hard to swallow. Even worse, sometimes we don't even realize we're not open to criticism! I know that when I want to make suggestions I am trepidatious at times. So...........I just wanted to say that anyone who has any comments, criticisms, or critiques of any image I post, let me have it! I may not always agree, but I *do* take criticism as a gift. That someone took the time to suggest something that she or he thinks would make an image of mine better is a compliment and a kindness. Sugar coating is not necessary. Thanks in advance!

"Just sayin'..." as the youngsters say.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Warning, critiques, even great ones can be useless or worse! Selection is needed.

Critique and comment can be a risky business. Even though we are all ostensibly here for honest feedback, sometimes criticism can be hard to swallow. Even worse, sometimes we don't even realize we're not open to criticism! I know that when I want to make suggestions I am trepidatious at times. So...........I just wanted to say that anyone who has any comments, criticisms, or critiques of any image I post, let me have it! I may not always agree, but I *do* take criticism as a gift. That someone took the time to suggest something that she or he thinks would make an image of mine better is a compliment and a kindness. Sugar coating is not necessary. Thanks in advance!

"Just sayin'..." as the youngsters say.
Let me commend you on this open attitude. In fact, openness to new experience is a major characteristic of the most creative people.

Of course, there's good and bad advice or critique. Let's imagine it's only good and well-informed, what then?

Let's for the moment remove all pictures made for a job where such good advice usually makes sense. A more effective picture is always best. However, I'll narrow this to a picture that represents each of us as individual artists, then what?

Here's the dire warning for all of us. You must have a core belief and vision of your project. If you don't, you have no compass to get your bearings when folk give you a criticism. Part of this great problem, is not only getting good feedback, but beyond that knowing what's relevant to the necessities of one's own concept.

IOW, we better know what we are trying to do in order to have some mental standards against which to accept or reject even the best suggestions. lots of photographers might make a more impressive mage from your capture, but what of it if it has not conjunction with your own mental creative process. For it to be our own work, we need to filter feedback and protect our creation from ideas, which, while great, do not really help to materialize our personal concept.

The danger is always that we can take good advice but not then be able to use it in our own way. So there has to be a constant battle to be open and yet, at the same time, not take the easy way out.

Asher

Rachel Foster

Yes, I totally agree. And, Asher, you know *I* always march to the beat of my own drummer. Even so, criticism -- even that I don't agree with -- often causes me to reconceptualize. Sometimes I've taken criticism that doesn't fit my vision and used it as a springboard to find something that does. In other words, I might not use the comments exactly as meant, but they are always helpful.

Matthew Bryan

I'm still very new so I try to get as much feedback as I can - I may not always agree but will always take it. If I'm just snapping pictures without a firm goal in my head then the feedback I really try to focus on. If I have a firm goal in mind though, then though I will listen to the feedback, I won't necessarily change my opinion etc based upon it. Really it comes down to if I'm happy with the photo than while I may take the criticism for the next round of shots, it won't change my opinion on the photo.

My uncle is photographer/writer and I can always trust him to give me honest critique of anything I write or shoot - but his perceived goals may not match mine so it doesn't always change how I shoot in the future. Does that make sense?

It's a fine line to walk I think - part of being an artist (and I do view photography as an art) is the ability to walk the line of rules/guides but being willing to throw them away completely to capture your own vision. That's what differentiates the photographer from the guy with a camera.

Just my 2 cents.