• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Box O' Lines '15

Paul Abbott

boxolines_negativebalancedfinal_1_of_1_600.jpg

Box O' Lines '15 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

Andy brown

Not sure what it is or how you did it Paul but I like it a lot.
I have to say your diversity of images is very impressive too.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
boxolines_negativebalancedfinal_1_of_1_600.jpg

Box O' Lines '15 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

Works in getting our attention, being well balanced, lyrical and seeming to have been made on purpose.

Such a lot of wandering detail that although one can recognize it, one cannot figure out enough of it to repeat it without checking at least a hundred times.

I do enjoy the experience but like Andy have no clue what it might be that you have done or whether it took someone's illegal substance to achieve what you did, LOL!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Asher and Andy, I don't think it would matter much if I told you what it was and anyway, that would be defeating the objective. It's something that was there to be photographed just like anything else, and up to me to compose it and so I found this composition...there being a fair bit to choose from. :)
I like to think that it is a little Miro-esque.
I think I would have to print it out on some proper photographic paper and use that ol' case of chestnuts...food colouring to get closer to Miro. :D

Asher Kelman

Paul,

The nearest thing that comes to mind is naked DNA of a plasmid or bacterium, or perhaps a eukaryotic cell stripped of histones. It seems to be a photomicrograph of DNA but I could be wrong, as electron microscopy has progressed beyond my lab days, but it does look natural! A thread of a fiber could loop like that too, perhaps or maybe the path of some organism, scavenging something on the surface!

I love the work for it's own "genuineness" and accidental graphical lyricism of so many curves and loops, traveling, crossing and reversing direction in an endless series of eye-catching but always uniquely different, but seemingly "purposeful", journeys.

So I would love to "know" its etiology, but I will have to settle just for enjoying this image for the beauty I see.

I wonder, if you still have access to the surface, whether you might make for us further pictures, but this time attempting to be random an exclude your sense of "composition". I wonder what we would have then!

Asher

....?......... And yes, Miro would smile!

Paul Abbott

Asher, I like how your trying to gauge this one but I still think it's a better and positive thing that I refrain from telling you what it is. I hope you don't mind...'cos it's those 10 minutes, so to speak, of your time i'm after. :)

Robert, i'm glad you support this as you do. I do like to get things printed up and broken free of this digital domain.

Thanks again, Maggie.

Asher Kelman

Asher, I like how your trying to gauge this one but I still think it's a better and positive thing that I refrain from telling you what it is. I hope you don't mind...'cos it's those 10 minutes, so to speak, of your time i'm after. :)

Robert, i'm glad you support this as you do. I do like to get things printed up and broken free of this digital domain.

Thanks again, Maggie.

Paul,

I do not need to know the truth, LOL! I just naturally enjoy works of art on many levels. As a scientist, I have been especially fascinated with strands of DNA, built on such a simply system of complementarity, getting some mismatching errors of extraordinarily low probability, so that over time, this "almost non-existent variation" has delivered all the life forms that ever existed on this planet!

Also I have found a blue electron micrograph a that pretty well duplicate this appearance, but never so elegently, as your super sized and most complex and lyrical example.

In the process, I have spent multiples of your suggested "10 minutes" on your picture, LOL! It will continue to take my interest even if I am sure of the .

Just how many times have we seen a face in the moon or creatures in bark shed from tree trunks?

This effect of images on our brains is part of our ability and need to recognize identities and significance from just a partial set of data that defines things!

Art entertains us and this blue picture of yours is no exception. We may or may not understand the marks. We can still enjoy it a lot - so much that it's worth our while to linger and get lost!

We either wonder about the nature of the elements in a picture, are fascinated by the patterns that are gibberish but either ordered or disordered, or seek to wander in the spaces in between in defined elements.

Asher