• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ball Head recommendation

John Angulat

pro member
Hi all,

I could really use some help here - I'm at a loss in selecting a ball head. I've always used the typical pan & tilt head, hence my lack of knowledge.
I currently own a Velbon El Carmagne 640 tripod.
Here's a link to B&H's page for the tripod: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/322185-REG/Velbon_ELCARMA640_EL_Carmagne_640_with.html

I shoot with a Nikon D300, MB-D10 grip and usually either a 28-70mm or a 70-200mm lens.
Other than some good chatter I've read regarding Markin's M10/M20 head I don't know much else. http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/index.php

I'd like to keep the price under $350 or thereabouts.
Any thoughts or help will be greatly appreciated.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

I know that Really Right Stuff ballheads are valued by everyone who uses them and they come in several sizes. I myself like to fix the position by a good lever, but often think about getting one of these. I like the stability of moving one axis at at time.

I'd look at RRS first. These might meet your needs. You'd need to know how your camera will mount. Do you already have a L bracket for the Arc Swiss clamp? Or perhaps you have a handgrip which has that plat? If so you could get this (or a slightly cheaper version):

BH40LRII.gif

BH-40 LR II: Mid-sized ballhead w/ LR II $390, Specifgications, here

Asher

james sperry

i've been using a manfrotto 486RC2 ball head. camera movement is from horizontal to verticle, 360 degrees. it works fine for my applications and the biggest lens that i've had on it so far is my 75 - 300mm. i'm pretty sure it could handle a 400mm as long as the lens mount was used. the weight limit for this head is about 13.2lbs/6kgm. there are no reference marks on this head. comes with adapter plate. i think i paid around $200 for it at the end of 2007. not sure if the price is the same or if the product is still available.

i love my ball head. i still have my old velbon w/ the 3 lock mechanisms on it. i don't think i will ever go back to it.

Robb Scharetg

Hi all,

I could really use some help here - I'm at a loss in selecting a ball head. I've always used the typical pan & tilt head, hence my lack of knowledge.
I currently own a Velbon El Carmagne 640 tripod.
Here's a link to B&H's page for the tripod: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/322185-REG/Velbon_ELCARMA640_EL_Carmagne_640_with.html

I shoot with a Nikon D300, MB-D10 grip and usually either a 28-70mm or a 70-200mm lens.
Other than some good chatter I've read regarding Markin's M10/M20 head I don't know much else. http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/index.php

I'd like to keep the price under $350 or thereabouts.
Any thoughts or help will be greatly appreciated.
Hello John

I realize full well that the price for what I'm going to recommend is more than $350.00. You CAN get a deal via the auction site.

I have three of these ball heads- the Linhof Profi III, it's hard to beat honestly. I use it for 35 (rarely), 2 1/4 (often), 4x5 (a LOT) and even 8x10 (occasionally). They're strong, incredibly well made and typical Linhof-overbuilt. Expensive? Yes, however relatively speaking I think they're the best deal out there. The Sinar/Foba is a nice head, however I'm not crazy about the mount for the camera. I use the Linhof Quik-fix system-never fails.

Cheers

Robb Scharetg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
John,
You'll probably get many recommendations. There are some well-engineered and precisely machined ball-head systems out there.

My primary recommendation: be realistic about your needs. Ask yourself how often you -really- use a tripod and how heavy a load you normally have. A dslr is a puny load unless you're using a very long, heavy lens.

Bottom line: don't overspend. (This is coming from a king of overspending.) A ball head is one piece of gear that can easily consume far more dollars than necessary. Start with a top-of-the-line head and start adding (naturally proprietary) plates and piece parts and pretty soon you've blown a grand...for no true advantage.

------
Personally, I use a Manfrotto 468 Hydrostatic most often. Excellent performance and the Manfrotto plates are compatible with other heads (i.e. my monopod's, etc.) and can be used (via their D-rings) with my Black Rapid straps.

I also have a Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip-Action unit which I think is terrifically versatile and far easier to use than the fussy standard balls. But it does have a slight limitation when moving from landscape to portrait orientation. Still, though, a terrific unit for general use. (And also compatible with the standard Manfrotto plates.)

Both of the above are well within your budget.

And, yes, a couple of years ago I caved and bought a RRS head. It's a beautifully engineered piece of butt-simple kit that's a work of art. It's also a real pain in the ass that I rarely use any more. Reason: the camera plates have to be mounted with an Allen-style wrench and aren't compatible with anything. (They're also ridiculously costly.) I would only recommend a system like the RRS or the Linhof to someone who planned to use a tripod and head nearly all the time (and owned stock in an Allen wrench manufacturer).

If light weight is a priority, Acratech is a good choice. Linhof is strong and very smooth, both the ball and the panning motion. Arca-Swiss uses an eccentric ball, so resistance increases as it moves further off center, so it gives you more control when the camera is at a steep angle.

FLM makes some interesting heads with a tilt lock mechanism, so you can level the camera left to right, lock that axis, and then level the camera fore and aft. I haven't tried one of these myself, but they look interesting, and one user on apug.org says they work as described.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Let me continue in the vein Ken has inititated, money and what your really need for your job. I use a Manfortto 3047 with my Canon 5D and 70-200 2.8L IS lens as well as with my 8x10 Chamonix, even though I have a larger setup too.

This is not a ballhead, Like the sublime Linhoff, it is controled by hand levers, but this is not a ballhead. The 3047 is now replaced by a new model and stunningly, it's on sale at amazon for $60 less $0.01!

41zN9kbsrLL._SS500_.jpg

Manfrotto 804RC2 Basic Pan Tilt Head with Quick Release Plate
200PL-14 - Replaces 3047

This is something you can buy with no guilt! But it's not the quality of the Linhoff and not a ballhead but will not fail you! I use the 3047 with no worry about creeping or instability. But you have a Velbon pan & tilt head, so what about is lacking? Frankly, I went through a number of heads before this one. It stays put and that's what I like.

Asher

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

...Bottom line: don't overspend. (This is coming from a king of overspending.) A ball head is one piece of gear that can easily consume far more dollars than necessary. Start with a top-of-the-line head and start adding (naturally proprietary) plates and piece parts and pretty soon you've blown a grand...for no true advantage.

------
Personally, I use a Manfrotto 468 Hydrostatic most often. Excellent performance and the Manfrotto plates are compatible with other heads (i.e. my monopod's, etc.) and can be used (via their D-rings) with my Black Rapid straps.

I agree with Ken. I would have bought the RRS system last year. I have then made the calculations and realized that it would cost me more than 1000 USD before I would be finished spending. The nit I have to pick is the very expensive L brackets which are custom made for each camera and have different versions for the battery grip too. Having multiple cameras, and selling and buying them often, this would be the main cost element of the RRS system in my case.

Furthermore, I have the same Manfrotto 468 Hydro RC2 ballhead for three years now and I have been very satisfied by it. Really recommended.

Cheers,

I'm also after a ball head currently but my situation is quite different. I have a Manfrotto 360 Magnesium (3-way) head for my usual tripod which is a carbonfibre Feisol (though I also have a massive and very heavy Manfrotto tripod and head). The ball head is for my monopod which is a very cheap Chinese model and I use it only for available light live music photography. I think I paid $US 20 + freight for both. The Chinese ball head stripped the teeth on the locking lever (after about four years' use propably) but the monopod itself still seems OK. I just need something to give me a horizontal and a vertical that also has quick release. I don't see why I would want to use a ball head on a tripod. I also don't see any necessity to spend much on it. The Manfrotto 486RC2 costs about $A120. However, there's a near new Amvona (basic model) on Oz EBay I expect to bid for. Otherwise I'll probably get one from Hong Kong for $A60.

Regards,
Murray

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Hello Murray,
For your monopod head replacement, instead of a ball head consider the (inexpensive) Manfrotto 234RC Tilt-Swivel Head. If you think about the problem for a moment you realize that TILT and SWIVEL is really all you need with a monopod. I used a Manfrotto Grip-Action ball on a monopod for quite a long time. It was a good choice, as the handle added some ergonomic benefits. But I realized that I generally only needed to tilt the camera with respect to the shaft angle. So I tried the tilt head and found it to be just fine.

John Angulat

pro member
Thanks everyone

I really appreciate all the responses and advice.
Ken, thanks for putting it in perspective relative to how much I really use a tripod and what actual load the head will see.
Funny, I always felt everyone used a ball head, but now my perspecive has been broadened a bit.
I'm also very interested in Ken's suggestion of the grip-action unit - definately bears looking into.
Lastly, to Robb and David - names like Linhof scare me! We're talking more $$ than I'd ever want to spend and...mostly because I sense Spring coming and I've got my eye on a "must-have" fly rod, a better "it's guaranteed to catch more fish" baitcasting reel. Hey, photography can't be one's only obsession, eh?

Thanks again to everyone for helping me out here,

Hello Murray,
For your monopod head replacement, instead of a ball head consider the (inexpensive) Manfrotto 234RC Tilt-Swivel Head. If you think about the problem for a moment you realize that TILT and SWIVEL is really all you need with a monopod. I used a Manfrotto Grip-Action ball on a monopod for quite a long time. It was a good choice, as the handle added some ergonomic benefits. But I realized that I generally only needed to tilt the camera with respect to the shaft angle. So I tried the tilt head and found it to be just fine.
Thanks, Ken

I picked one up at a local store for about the same price as online. Very simple and very robust, just the ticket. I've also got a couple of spare Manfrotto plates to go with it.

Regards,
Murray

Daniel Buck

I can highly recommend the Kirk BH-1. I've had it for several years now (4-5 years I think?), it's seen everything from snow, to deserts, to swamps, to salt ocean beaches. It hasn't given even a hint of a complaint, and I've never cleaned it anymore than simply wiping off any visible dirt that I see on it. :) Mind you, it's never actually been submerged in water so I don't know how it would handle that, but it's definitely seen a good bit of sweat from my hands and humidity from the air/mist.

I mostly use it on my digital (1-series with medium sized lenses, longest being a 400/5.6) but I've also used it a good number of times on my 4x5 folding camera (when I have to choose to bring only one head between my digital and 4x5 together), and even once on my 8x10 folding camera. It held the 8x10, but it was very awkward to use (which I had guessed before I tried it) but I more or less was just trying it out to see how unwieldy it would be.

I believe the BH-1 was right about at $350. If you don't plan on using any big telephoto lenses, then you could probably easily get the smaller BH-3, which I think is about $100 cheaper or so. If it's anything like the BH-1, it should be quite reliable.

I've heard good things about the RRS and the Markins ball heads too, I imagine realistically any one of the big name ball heads you choose would probably serve you well. If you can handle some of them yourself, that might be good, as they may have a different feel to the knobs. Keep in mind, that you don't really need to crank down on the knobs to hold the ball steady, I had a tenancy to want to do this at first, but it's not really needed. Just snug it up and it'll hold fine :)

I dont know if RRS or Markins have plates that are molded to your camera or not, but the Kirk plate that I have is molded to the shape of my 1-series, and it's really pretty sweet, never have to worry about if the plate is going to rotate on you or not. Literally, I think it's been on the camera for several years now and I've never once even tightened it after I initially put it on. Since it's molded to the shape of the camera, there is no way it can slip and rotate :) I would highly recommend this as well, it's a very nice piece. If RRS or Markins don't have something like that, I believe they both use the same "Arca" style release plates like Kirk does, so you could use the Kirk molded plate on either one of them. I could be wrong though, double check that before you order one!

As far as the quick release mechanism itself, personally I like the type that requires you to screw the clamp down, rather than a lever or a switch. A lever or switch I think could possibly catch on something and accidentally pop open, where a screwed down clamp would not have that possibility. Yes the screw is a little bit slower than the lever/switch, but I like the piece of mind :)

I dont know if RRS or Markins have plates that are molded to your camera or not, but the Kirk plate that I have is molded to the shape of my 1-series, and it's really pretty sweet, never have to worry about if the plate is going to rotate on you or not.

Exactly! That's one of the features I needed, and found in the RRS plates. Even when carrying the tripod with the camera mounted, it cannot rotate because the camera plate is molded to the bottom profile of the camera. The only drawback of that is that a new camera plate is usually needed for each camera.

Literally, I think it's been on the camera for several years now and I've never once even tightened it after I initially put it on. Since it's molded to the shape of the camera, there is no way it can slip and rotate :) I would highly recommend this as well, it's a very nice piece. If RRS or Markins don't have something like that, I believe they both use the same "Arca" style release plates like Kirk does, so you could use the Kirk molded plate on either one of them. I could be wrong though, double check that before you order one!

Yes, the RRS stuff uses the "Arca" style dove-tails, but they also warn about potential inaccuracy of non-RRS and Wimberley plates when used with a quick-release lever type of clamp. The screw type of clamps are better at coping with slight manufacturing inaccuracies.

Bart

I also recommend screw clamps over lever lock clamps. It may not even be an issue of manufacturing accuracy, exactly, since it is often the original Arca-Swiss plates and view camera rails that slip in various lever lock clamps. The screw clamps, though, can apply more force and are generally more solid.

I also recommend screw clamps over lever lock clamps. It may not even be an issue of manufacturing accuracy, exactly, since it is often the original Arca-Swiss plates and view camera rails that slip in various lever lock clamps. The screw clamps, though, can apply more force and are generally more solid.

Here's the lever release warning from RRS: http://reallyrightstuff.com/QR/03.html#LRwarning

While it may look like a cunning way to get some more money, my dealings with them gave me an impression of serious people. For now, I'm giving them the benfit of the doubt, I'm saying that there may have been some experiences that urged them to put out the warning.

Bart

Yes, I've read that warning, and I have a RRS lever lock clamp, as well as Wimberley, Arca-Swiss, and Kirk screw clamps, at least a dozen plates of various manufacture, and I agree that RRS makes some excellent products, and I wouldn't suggest that it's a ruse to sell more plates. I can also confirm that the warning is justified, and the lever lock clamp won't hold all plates, particularly if they are attached to a heavy camera or lens. I've relegated that clamp to my copy stand, where I'm not using anything too heavy in general.

My point is that you can't fault Arca-Swiss for having inaccurate tolerances, because they are the standard that everyone else is following in theory, and in practice, Arca-Swiss products are made to very tight tolerances, so if a RRS clamp consistently doesn't hold an original A-S plate, then it's a design issue with the clamp.

Alain Briot

pro member
I use the smallest RRS ballhead on my Gitzo Carbon Fiber monopod. Works great. Weights hardly anything. RRS makes the best ballheads at the moment in my opinion.

I only use the screw-in version for the quick release. The quick clamp is in my opinion a potential source of problems since it can snag on something and open unexpectedly. Murphy's law, you know. Plus, with the screw in version I can control how tight the plate is.

Cem_Usakligil

...I only use the screw-in version for the quick release. The quick clamp is in my opinion a potential source of problems since it can snag on something and open unexpectedly. Murphy's law, you know. Plus, with the screw in version I can control how tight the plate is.
How so true. Read here what has happened to me when I pulled on the quick release handle accidentally.

Cheers,

Alain Briot

pro member
Another thing I do, instinctively at this point, is tighten the quick release knob before I move the tripod. Usually it is tight, but sometimes it is not... I have had problems too, for example a 4x5 that went flying when I slung the tripod over my shoulder. I did fix it though (with a shoestring -- the back latch had snapped) and I did get the shot! That's all that matters. Equipment is replaceable but good light is ephemeral . . . !