• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Buttonbush Marsh

Chris Calohan

16751817920_5e6e7ef83d_b_d.jpg

Waiting for the Sun: Chris Calohan​

Tom dinning

Registrant*
When I saw the title to the thread I had to peep.
Disappointed in one respect but such an illuminating image is worth the visit.
Thanks, Chris, for the morning light.

Chris Calohan

Thanks. I find the fog to be especially difficult to meter for and thus a challenge, a challenge I think while I've not yet really mastered it, one where I am comfortable. I too love the melancholy, haunted feel of the mist as it weaves a sultry pattern through the forests or over the waters. I do not think in the last month where fog has been predicted, i haven't been out shooting, each time perfecting and tweaking my exposures.

Paul Abbott

A good image, Chris.

I do think there was a better picture waiting on the right side of this image because I love the tree structures and reflections there, combined with that small island of trees. My eye just wanders around the left side and out of the image...

16751817920_5e6e7ef83d_b_zpshklopii3.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

A good image, Chris.

I do think there was a better picture waiting on the right side of this image because I love the tree structures and reflections there, combined with that small island of trees. My eye just wanders around the left side and out of the image...

Paul,

I feel your wish for more. This is why I am against the wisdom of many teachers that the height of photographic skill is to print what one frames in the field. Well, to me, there's no reason why a scene should fit in an arbitrary camera frame, no matter where one moves or crouches to compose. To me, taking overlapping coverage of adjacent milieux allows one to reconsider, at home, without the sounds of crickets, the ocean breeze or the smell of pinewood.

I have this print in front of me, and it works well when viewed up close as one discovers the deer and more so, one does stay in the frame. Still, at first glance, you're so right, that there are also added possibilities.

What's good about OPF, is that we are prepared to voice such views.

Still, if anyone does only photograph precisely what's framed, then I salute them!

Asher

Rachel McLain

I find it so interesting that Paul and Asher both are looking for more on the left.

I love it being off balance (if that is what you would call it) and I think that is a huge part of its power. Honestly I have been drawn back to this photo several times. It is truly stunning (IMO!).

The only thing I might change is a very very minor tilt to right. I've taken a straightedge to it and it looks perfectly straight (by looking at trees and reflections), but my eyes see that the left side is ever so slightly low. So I would probably tweak it a tiny bit to the right to accommodate for that because most people won't take a straightedge to it! :)

Rach

Paul,

I feel your wish for more. This is why I am against the wisdom of many teachers that the height of photographic skill is to print what one frames in the field. Well, to me, there's no reason why a scene should fit in an arbitrary camera frame, no matter where one moves or crouches to compose. To me, taking overlapping coverage of adjacent milieux allows one to reconsider, at home, without the sounds of crickets, the ocean breeze or the smell of pinewood.

I have this print in front of me, and it works well when viewed up close as one discovers the deer and more so, one does stay in the frame. Still, at first glance, you're so right, that there are also added possibilities.

What's good about OPF, is that we are prepared to voice such views.

Still, if anyone does only photograph precisely what's framed, then I salute them!

Asher