• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Skating on a foggy day

Cem_Usakligil

m07625.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

This is a wonderful scene of community. We rarely enter something so participatory, outside of a Wedding or other family celebration. It is, perhaps a "cousin" of Christmas markets and Beer Gardens and fairs, all great traditions! This is so uniquely European and beautiful. Cem, you have posted similar but this was on some path through the snow, perhaps on a frozen lake or river!m

Asher

Robert Watcher

Until I did a Google search for such winter scenes in Amsterdam, I did not recognize the central area as a skating rink. (Now I understand why the yellow chairs). Of course since knowing that, it is readily evident when I revisit your photo and see that everyone has skates on.

I actually really like the essence of an old worldly street scene with the whole town out for a weekend strolling in the snow and ice covered streets - that you have successfully captured in this image. The fog definitely adds to the mood. Looks like this event is very popular for photographing, so it is a challenge to really make it your own. Nicely done.

Hi Cem, So nice to see you here.. been a longtime!

Like Robert, the seatless chairs just make sense! LOL

I would ask though, is this a natural ice rink? I didn't think you guys had snow yet!

Cem_Usakligil

Interesting yellow chairs that have no seats. What is their purpose?
For the Dutch, taking a chair to the frozen canals/lakes has been a tradition, through which children could learn how to skate. So this tradition is alive and well here in Amsterdam. :)

Cem_Usakligil

There's a photo very like this (but with fewer people) on their Facebook page, Cem. Was that your's too?
Cheers, Mike
No Mike, not mine. I guess that there must be a million copies of this very photo out there. The location is well visited by tourists and locals alike. It doesn't bother me much taking a "replica" photo of a tourist trap, it is my own photo after all and hence unique. ;)

Cem_Usakligil

This is a wonderful scene of community. We rarely enter something so participatory, outside of a Wedding or other family celebration. It is, perhaps a "cousin" of Christmas markets and Beer Gardens and fairs, all great traditions! This is so uniquely European and beautiful. Cem, you have posted similar but this was on some path through the snow, perhaps on a frozen lake or river!m

Asher
Hi Asher,

The following pictures were the ones I have shared way back in 2009. You have a very long memory, lol.

e13734.jpg

e13889.jpg

e13860.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

... Looks like this event is very popular for photographing, so it is a challenge to really make it your own. Nicely done.
Hi Robert,

You very right. But I don't see this as a challenge. Any photo I think is worth taking, I take it as if I am the only one to ever have done that. By virtue of being my photo, it is unique to me. ;)

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem, So nice to see you here.. been a longtime!

Like Robert, the seatless chairs just make sense! LOL

I would ask though, is this a natural ice rink? I didn't think you guys had snow yet!
Hi Maggie,

Nice to see you too. It is a shallow pool which gets artificially frozen during winter. We haven't had snow yet although it is around the freezing point for the past week or so.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher,

The following pictures were the ones I have shared way back in 2009. You have a very long memory, lol.

e13734.jpg

e13889.jpg

e13860.jpg

Cem,

Thanks for taking the effort to identify and locate these precious images. I appreciate that very much.

Let me add some comment on what this find might mean to us all. Once the work has satisfied the artist, it is art! But how will it fare as "Art" for others? The test is time. When the work, (now Independant its creator), is strong enough to be treasured by another, (person who speaks about it), then there is "air in its nostrils", proof it has begun its life as a work that had survival quality. A photograph that can remain embedded in the memories of others years after the first glimpse and interest has proven worth.

This is not "manipulated" as some art in collections, as the process is natural. When a person steeped in art culture, (as I immodestly claim to be), is attached by memory to such works, they pass through a gauntlet of progressively stringent competition with other likely contenders for rank and worth in the packed libraries of the mind. The latter is always, for its own protection, discarding as much memory, (of no imaginable utility), as possible.

So these pictures, earned their place in my mind as "Art" and I offer that they're also worth entering your own select collections!

Asher

No Mike, not mine. I guess that there must be a million copies of this very photo out there. The location is well visited by tourists and locals alike. It doesn't bother me much taking a "replica" photo of a tourist trap, it is my own photo after all and hence unique. ;)

It's a great photo Cem. More alive than the one on their site. I'm guessing that the viewpoint was a bridge over the rink. Cheers, Mike

Cem_Usakligil

Another one from 8 years ago, which I hadn't processed till now. What else is lurking in in my archives, I wonder? ;)

e13885.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Another one from 8 years ago, which I hadn't processed till now. What else is lurking in in my archives, I wonder? ;)

e13885.jpg

Wondrous!

I especially enjoy the classic skating stance, with the hands clasped behind.

As if by a Dutch master.

Or a Turkish Dutch master!

Happy New Year.

Best regards,

Doug

Interesting, Cem how the 'looking down' perspective of the first photo 'stopped' the motion, making the skaters appear as separate bodies frozen in a moment of time that's somehow eternal. You don't get that effect with the 'looking along' photo with individuality subsumed by the collective. A great series. Cheers, Mike