• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hiatus perhaps

Doug Kerr

Dear friends and colleagues,

In a little over a week, we will physically relocate from Weatherford, Texas to Alamogordo, New Mexico. Carla says, "Why yes, we are downsizing - going to a smaller state, one only a little larger than Poland but smaller than Norway."

Carla has done a wonderful job of preparing us to move, but there is still a stunning amount to be done - especially in my departments, where I have procrastinated.

When we arrive, there will be a gigantic process of establishing ourselves: decorating, adapting, making some facility rearrangements (a new island and an induction cooktop in the kitchen, hanging two enormous wagon-wheel chandeliers), new pottery (that's trade for "toilets" - a great pun) in the bathrooms, and so forth.

As you may have noted, as a consequence of the run-up to this so far, I have been able to pay less attention to the forum than usual.

The result may well be that I will probably essentially take a hiatus from forum matters for a while.

In any case, I want to thank all my friends and colleagues here for your ongoing interest in, and support of, my contributions, and beyond that for your genuine camaraderie and friendship. This is an extraordinary arena, a gigantic resource in the field of photography in all its splendor.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In a little over a week, we will physically relocate from Weatherford, Texas to Alamogordo, New Mexico. Carla says, "Why yes, we are downsizing - going to a smaller state, one only a little larger than Poland and smaller than Norway."

Carla has done a wonderful job of preparing us to move, but there is still a stunning amount to be done - especially in my departments, where I have procrastinated.

When we arrive, there will be a gigantic process of establishing ourselves: decorating, adapting, making some facility rearrangements (a new island and an induction cooktop in the kitchen, hanging two enormous wagon-wheel chandeliers), new pottery (that's trade for "toilets" - a great pun) in the bathrooms, and so forth.

As you may have noted, as a consequence of the run-up to this so far, I have been able to pay less attention to the forum than usual.

Doug,

Your contributions are stellar. It's impressive that you do so much while undertaking such an historic move. Downsizing has it's costs but the new address will open new opportunities.

We all hope the move goes well and look forward to your reports on the place where the desert literally meets the mountains just East of your windows!

Kind wishes,

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Dear Doug,

...On the other side of the equation, forum participation becomes increasingly more laborious for me. For many of my contributions there is then a collateral matter of explaining it, justifying it, hearing why it might offend so-and-so if he goes out of his way to misunderstand it, and so forth.

And in some cases, my posts and threads suffer gratuitous "improvements", some of which screw up what I am trying to do. Just this morning I had to go back to the buffet table on one of those. ...
I feel your pain, perhaps more than anybody else here as I have been in similar situations many times in the past. It can be quite disheartening. Going back to the buffet table is a good idea, I'm right behind you.

Hi Doug,

It's better to not waste energy on forum related stuff when you have more important matters ahead. I do hope that you soon will have settled in enough to share your vision on our world again while enjoying a breakfast in your new home together with Carla.

Your humour will be missed, for the time being, so don't take too long.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Let me assure everyone that Doug is really still here and following. His humor too. There's too much important to do at home. I've no doubt that Doug will be contributing as soon as he get's a good meal from Carla in his new house or discovers a restaurant that can compete!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Doug,

all the best for your move and take your time, come back to posting when things have settled sufficiently for you.

I'be glad to read that all worked out well and you feel home again rather than you are right in the middle of unpacking things and literally feel the uneasiness through your words in the first post after your move.

Best regards,
Michael