• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Rise

Chris Kresser

Hi everyone,

I heard about the forum from Sean Reid, just joined last night. Glad to be here with folks pursuing photography as a fine art form.

A recent image I'd like to share. Feedback is welcome!

2460036349_4fc61945c1_o.jpg

Chris

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Chris, and welcome to OPF, I have to ask this......... what is it?

To me it looks like the silhouette of a man walking on a train track, am I right? Did you choose to shoot it this way or is it all PP?

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Chris, and welcome to OPF, I have to ask this......... what is it?

To me it looks like the silhouette of a man walking on a train track, am I right? Did you choose to shoot it this way or is it all PP?

Hi Jan,

My guess is that of a guy with a back-pack going up on an escalator or the stairs between two escalaor tracks. Kind of like the ones found in the underground/metro/tube exits.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Hi everyone,

I heard about the forum from Sean Reid, just joined last night. Glad to be here with folks pursuing photography as a fine art form.

A recent image I'd like to share. Feedback is welcome!

2460036349_4fc61945c1_o.jpg

Chris
Hi Chris,

You are more than welcome. Thanks for showing this.

Firstly, I want to comment on the composition. All the classic elements are in there, which lead your look into the picture, like the handrails and the stairsteps. Which is quite good I think. But the focal point of the picture is the man in black, which kind of puts me off. Rather than remaining focussed there, I move on to top left which is lighter and leads out of the picture. Maybe it was your intention, I don't know.

Secondly, the feelings it evokes in me. I like it. This fires up my imagination. I kind of think that this might be a lonesome soldier coming back home with his rugsack after being away for a long time. And there is light at the end of the tunnel, as it were.

Cheers,

Last edited:

janet Smith

pro member
My guess is that of a guy with a back-pack going up on an escalator or the stairs between two escalaor tracks. Kind of like the ones found in the underground/metro/tube exits

I think you're right, you can tell I don't go into cities too often can't you, give me an open hillside anyday! LOL

Chris Kresser

Hi Jan,

My guess is that of a guy with a back-pack going up on an escalator or the stairs between two escalaor tracks. Kind of like the ones found in the underground/metro/tube exits.

Cheers,

Yes, that's exactly right.

Firstly, I want to comment on the composition. All the classic elements are in there, which lead your look into the picture, like the handrails and the stairsteps. Which is quite good I think. But the focal point of the picture is the man in black, which kind of puts me off. Rather than remaining focussed there, I move on to top left which is lighter and leads out of the picture. Maybe it was your intention, I don't know.

I appreciate your feedback, Cem. It was indeed intentional that the viewer's eye continue upwards to the left and out of the frame. There are several motifs I was attempting to convey through this image: the relationship between light and darkness, the experience of rising above what is below, and ultimately, stepping into the unknown. Hence the name of the picture ("Rise").

Secondly, the feelings it evokes in me. I like it. This fires up my imagination. I kind of think that this might be a lonesome soldier coming back home with his rugsack after being away for a long time. And there is light at the end of the tunnel, as it were.

I am glad it evoked emotion and stimulated your imagination. That is always my intention with my photography and artwork. And although we'll never know whether your interpretation is "correct" (i.e. whether it actually is a soldier coming home), the feelings underneath it are what I'm going for.

Thanks again for sharing your impressions.

Chris

Charlotte Thompson

Chris

really cool shot-luv the idea of the blur which for me adds a lot of art-
what came to mind for me when I saw this was Monolith-
light and dark done very well as the metaphor

Charlotte

Ray West

Please tell me why you think it is 'fine art form'. Explain why it is not just a mistake, a poor lens, or whatever.

Best wishes,

Ray

Chris Kresser

Please tell me why you think it is 'fine art form'. Explain why it is not just a mistake, a poor lens, or whatever.

Best wishes,

Ray

That is a good question. But I suspect the answer isn't so simple. It's similar to the question, "what is good art and what is bad art?" Just because someone dumps paint off of their balcony onto a canvas below, doesn't mean it will be good art. But when Jackson Pollock does it...

In photography the equivalent would be shots that are intentionally blurry, out-of-focus, over- or under-exposed, etc. etc. Some blurry shots are just bad blurry shots. OTOH, there is a quite famous photographer (can't for the life of me remember his name) who made a career out of exclusively blurry images.