• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dell 30" vs. NEC 24"

For about the same price as an NEC 24" Spectraview, I can get a Dell 30" + Spyder3 setup.

The 30" Dell (3007WFP) is part of the color accuracy charts in the recent 24" Roundup by Anandtech.com and it corrects well. I've read good things about this monitor in the past - I think it is an IPS panel... although I've also read that Dell has taken the liberty to do different runs of the same model with different types of panels!

So, my question is, what would be the reasoning behind purchasing the 24" setup over the 30" setup?

I LIKE the idea of a huge 30" monitor, but I NEED good color accuracy! Maybe I just answered my own question, but what are YOUR thoughts?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Ed,

Things may have changed. I'd look at a Dell monitor after it has warmed up for 2 hours. Then profile it (you can't calibrate it as it has not RGB guns as a CRT does). Return 30 minutes, 2 hrs, 4 hors, the next day or so. Is it stable.

Move from the center where you profiled the screen. what now.

Dell LCD monitors have always been fantastic for bright raz-ma-taz video games and movies.

It could be that Dell has seen the "Light", so to speak. However, I'd first like to hear more experience of stability and how uniform the color is off center. If it's great, then let's hear about it.

Hi Ed,
It could be that Dell has seen the "Light", so to speak. However, I'd first like to hear more experience of stability and how uniform the color is off center. If it's great, then let's hear about it.

Indeed! Also, hearing "it's not so great" experience is almost as valuable...

In my analysis, I am counting your feedback as, "NEC is the conservative (as in safe) choice", and I agree. Its also huge. :)

Yes, indeed, but now we're over my hypothetical 1200 budget. I chose the 24" vs. 30" for price parity. From what I understand, the 24" is rated highly by Andrew also. Is there something about the 26 as opposed to the 24 that is better? My understanding is that they are roughly equal except for size?

However, the 26" is definitely a good option to consider for the size!

Bernard Wolf

pro member
The link I posted shows the NEC 26" on Amazon for $1223. The 26" has a wider color gamut..... supposed to be 92% of RGB 1998. That I believe is superior to the 24" and larger
real estate also. Doesn't that sound like a better investment? Andrew has the 26".

The link I posted shows the NEC 26" on Amazon for $1223. The 26" has a wider color gamut..... supposed to be 92% of RGB 1998. That I believe is superior to the 24" and larger
real estate also. Doesn't that sound like a better investment? Andrew has the 26".

My mistake - the $1200 comparison I was making is for monitor and profiling kit. Add $200 for the kit and you're at $1423 and YES, wide gamut + real estate for $200 more does sound like a better investment... and besdies, Andrew has the 26" :)

John_Nevill

Ed,

The Dell uses the LG-Philips S-IPS panel and the NEC uses the newer H-IPS A-TW Pol panel.

Both are excellent but my only concern regarding Dell is how even the backlight performs, aka hotspotting. I've seen quite a bit of variation on Dell monitors.

BTW, my NEC 2690 hardware calibrates with an average DeltaE of 0.34 which is less than half of the lowest value listed at AnandTech.

Andrew Rodney

My mistake - the $1200 comparison I was making is for monitor and profiling kit. Add $200 for the kit and you're at $1423 and YES, wide gamut + real estate for $200 more does sound like a better investment... and besdies, Andrew has the 26" :)

The 2690 is a wide gamut display, the 2490 is an sRGB gamut display.

Thats the info I really wanted! Thanks. I was going to write to Anandtech to suggest they review a few more "pro" models to give a good idea of what the extra money buys or doesn't buy as the case may be ....

Thanks!

Andrew Rodney

Thats the info I really wanted! Thanks. I was going to write to Anandtech to suggest they review a few more "pro" models to give a good idea of what the extra money buys or doesn't buy as the case may be ....

Well high bit LUTs internally, full DDC like capabilities (software driving the physical display) are pretty important, and something the SpectraView II's support.

In other words, those are the feature the extra money buys, is that what you're saying?

You're comment, "full DDC like capabilities" (wikipedia:Display Data Channel?), intrigues me. From wikipedia: "DDC/CI monitors are sometimes supplied with an external colour sensor, to allow automatic calibration of the monitor's colour balance". Does this mean that the built-in DDC/CI only works with the bundled adapter or do most calibration adapters function with this standard when present?

Andrew Rodney

In other words, those are the feature the extra money buys, is that what you're saying?

You're comment, "full DDC like capabilities" (wikipedia:Display Data Channel?), intrigues me. From wikipedia: "DDC/CI monitors are sometimes supplied with an external colour sensor, to allow automatic calibration of the monitor's colour balance". Does this mean that the built-in DDC/CI only works with the bundled adapter or do most calibration adapters function with this standard when present?

Yes on both counts.

Yes on both counts.

I'm still not clear... let me explain what I'd like to do...

I'd like to setup a dual screen system AND I'd like them to both be calibrated. I won't be buying two matching NEC screens, so iIf I buy the NEC with the Spectraview option, can I use the included calibration system on other, non-NEC, monitors? On the same system? On other systems (like a laptop)?

Thanks Rodney.

Andrew Rodney

You cannot use the NEC software on a non NEC SpectraView display. You could use it on one system and another software product for the other display.

Nill Toulme

But you can use the NEC-bundled Eye One Display 2 puck with other monitors, and I think Eye One's own (excellent, although not as good as NEC's) profiling software might be available for free download. Either way, you can use it in DDC/CI mode with a compatible video card and monitor. What you can only do with the NEC software & monitor is address the monitor's internal 12-bit LUTs directly for calibration (not profiling), again assuming a compatible video card. (I think I got all that right; Andrew will correct me if I'm wrong.)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Using terms from the link led me this thread with the following post:

Mike Young , Apr 28, 2008; 04:23 p.m.
I purchased the an NEC 2090 monitor and the EYE one NEC Spectraview system. The Eye One came with the calibration device and 2 cds. One is the original Eye one disk and the other is the Nec spectraview. I have only used the Nec Specraview softwarwe but I am sure that this a standard Eye one package with only an added NEC CD in it and that it should work on any monitor. good luckZ

Chris Lilley

I've read good things about this monitor in the past - I think it is an IPS panel... although I've also read that Dell has taken the liberty to do different runs of the same model with different types of panels!

They certainly do that among different production runs of their laptops, even the high end ones.

Thanks Nill - I had a hard time finding that download link when I needed it. You saved the day! :)

I bought the 2490 SV kit and couldn't be happier. What a great experience the SpectraView software provides - make a few decisions and all the rest is automagic!

Now I've downloaded the eyeMatch software and profiled my secondary monitor and my laptop and although it didn't provide the automagic experience, it worked well and I've achieved a very good match on all my monitors!

Thanks again,
Ed.