• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hi - new member from SF Bay Area

Tom Grey

I just learned about Open Photography, and am really delighted to find it! Looks like the true heir for civilized discussion to the old Rob Galbraith forums. The true indicator is that Chuck Westfall monitors and posts here.

I'm an amateur bird photographer from Palo Alto / Stanford, using Canon stuff (20D; 500/4, 400/5.6). I post images from time to time on NPN.

Look forward to checking in here often!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Welcome to our community Tom!

I was captured by your wonderful collection of bird photography and also the flowers and bobcats without which the whole thing would stop!

I'm keen to see each specialty in photography well represented so we have the critical mass to maintain good exchange. I hope you might post some of your favorites and let us know how you approach the shot. I, for one, am fascinated and am learning about the challenges of bird photography.

I'm so impressed by the dedication of "birders". I understand their fascination with these creatures. The endless beauty of birds and the fact they don't have to go shopping to look so neat, has always impressed me.

Whether you post about approach, tachnic or the actual photographs, you will always have an eager audience. But, in my mind there is so much more that you bring to OPF.

You see, I have also a rather serious side: I look at the thriving of butterlies, frogs and birds as one of the measures of our own health and future. I have followed the efforts of Arthur Morris and others in leading an awareness of threats to ecosystems by some misjudgments of man and nature.

I therefore see nature photographers, (such as you and Andy Biggs, Arthur Morris, Don Cohen, Alain, Mike Spinak and so many other OPF members (forgive me)), as our "watchdogs". So thanks to all of you!

So, back to just you Tom: again welcome!

Asher

Last edited:

Mike Spinak

pro member
Hi, Tom,

Nice to see you here.

It's been a couple months since we've bumped into each other in the field. I expect I'll see you out there, again, soon, when the Southward migration is in full swing. Until then, it's good to be able to discuss birding and bird photography with you, here.

Cheers,

Mike

P.S. Email me, when you have time to go out shooting.