• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

White Gazania Flower in VIS and reflected UV

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Here about a white Gazania flower, most likely Gazania rigens. Shot in visible and ultraviolet light, using the Baader-U filter and a high power Xenon flash, as well as an UV sensitive camera.

Visible light image:
large.jpg

Ultraviolet (UV) light image:

large.jpg

Diptych VIS - UV:
large.jpg

The petals of this white Gazania flower are quite special, since they show in UV an otherwise invisible bright rim (reflecting around 370nm) against a UV darker, but still reflective (around 385nm) inside. The stigmas are also very UV bright, whereas the stamen are quite dark so overall create quite distinct UV nectar guides for their pollinators.

The diptych is an absolute stunner. The bright rims of the petals in UV are a great illustration of the limitation of the wavelengths visible to humans.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Asher, most flowers have dark stamens, but I haven't found out a reason yet, even teh biologists I asked couldn't tell.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Asher, most flowers have dark stamens, but I haven't found out a reason yet, even the biologists I asked couldn't tell.

Klaus,

Perhaps there's a survival advantage for the flower. By making the stamens dark, there's more chance that the foraging insects might accidentally brush against them, dusting pollen on to their surfaces. Also birds, (seeing UV), would have a harder time feeding on seeds that were not ready for eating and spreading that way.

Asher