Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique

Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique Continuous and Strobe Lighting. (The Sun is considered continuous!) Great ideas are really ten a penny! Technique in setting up the subject is, of course, essential. However, the ability to bring out form, texture, tonality and color is where the skill in lighting provides all the keys to engraving one's ideas on the delivered picture.

Old April 6th, 2010, 02:05 PM

Default Babies - hard work......

Yes, I know, the BG sucks and so does the little blanket. Both will be fixed next time.
What about the rest ?

350D
Manual exp
580EX (off large reflector)
430EX (through diffuser)
- both on manual

s/s = 1/200
F6.3

Old April 6th, 2010, 02:32 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann van Rensburg View Post
Yes, I know, the BG sucks and so does the little blanket. Both will be fixed next time.
What about the rest ?

350D
Manual exp
580EX (off large reflector)
430EX (through diffuser)
- both on manual

s/s = 1/200
F6.3

What a personality! He looks like he's ready to host a talk show on TV! Very mature and happy infant!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM

Thanks for comment Asher - I will pass it onto "HER"

Old April 6th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Hi Johann

A lovely model, with a great expression.

A couple of critiques - that you are free to ignore or correct me on - the skin tones don't seem quite right to me (they may be be of course, you know her) and second the lighting is not quite working for me. I think that it's maybe too flat and that you need to allow some shadow to fal on her, but also the flash has left her incredibly sharp and, in the screen images at least, it's a bit too much for me.

Of the three the last picture is the one that I most prefer - purely because of these points.

Hope you don't mind the comments, and I'm happy to be corrected (particularly by anyone who makes a living photographing babies or people)

Mike
Old April 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM

She ain't gonna take no sh*t from anyone. That's for sure. You go babe!

Congratulations.
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks Guys

Fahim, yes, at only 5 months old she certainly has "attitude"

Mike, comments and critique are always welcome. We all do obviously have our own preferences and opinions, but how else would we broaden our knowledge and horizons.

Skin tone is very close to correct, actually a touch warmer in the photo.
I take note of the "flat" lighting. It is basically what I wanted, but you may be right, more shadow might be a good thing.
The catch light unfortunately ended up in the wrong place - due to placement of the large reflector. I need to get that higher up (oversight on my part).
She was VERY active, and predicting where she would be looking totally impossible - can't tell a 5 month old how to pose and where to look.
A bit less sharpening in post process is also noted. I would have preferred to shoot at much wider aperture, but once again, her unpredictable movement would have caused problems due to shallow DOF.

Sadly I will not see her again very soon. Next time she will most likely be a toddler - then we'll try again.

Old December 13th, 2013, 08:41 AM

Any updates?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 19th, 2014, 08:30 AM

I would go softer on the lighting, and also in post. That is, at least, the traditional approach to babies, and I think it works. Babies are innocent, sweet, soft, cuddly, so getting some photographic tropes to support those ideas seems to work. Hence softboxes, pastel colors, diffusion effects, and so on.

These strike me as harsh/sharp -- not a lot, but a little bit.

Also feels like there might be an excessively wide lens in play here? All babies have giant heads, and they all have their own unique shapes, but this one feels especially emphasized? It could just be her, of course, in which case, great!
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:40 AM

Great comments!

Here, I'd use available light as one has round the clock access and she can be moved to wherever the light is playing. The odd color, (in several images), might be some reflection from the pink bedspread is confusing the white balance. What's really wonderful here is the beautiful little energetic and warm child perfect for endless pictures!

Asher