• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lightroom 3: General speed and functioning issues? Happy or not thrilled?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have noticed some bad opinion about LR 3.0 running speed. Anyone else have any frustrating sluggishness, as in this complaint on Adobe's own website?

12. Jun 27, 2010 5:10 AM in response to: rogeratadobe
Re: Lightroom 3 upgrade and NO SERIAL NUMBERS...great!
Hi whoever you are.

I did purchase the upgrade through the Adobe online store. Sorry for the
delay in reply but your email got sidetracked through my junk filter.

I don't know what message to which you are referring, nor whether you
really intend to be writing me.

For the record however, although I am a longtime Photoshop and Lightroom
owner and user from the very beginning, I shall not give Adobe another
cent as a result of the absolute PIG that Lightroom 3.0 is, and Adobe's
silence regarding the topic of slowness and bugginess to the extent it
makes LR3 totally unusable and a risk to any photographic business. Who
has the time to waste on minutes long "loading", system slowdowns and
freezes, and the abject horror of hoping Adobe might do something about
it and trying to work with them on it, let alone trying to fix this PIG
or the damage it's done to my files and work in progress.

Good luck to you whoever you are. I am off on my mission to replace
everything Adobe so as to remove this bad taste from my mouth, and to
share my feelings with anyone who cares and many who probably don't. As
i said in my forum content, not getting the serial number was the best
part of my Adobe LR3 experience. I hope yours was better, unless you're
getting paid by Adobe, in which case I'd like my share of your earnings
back please. Source.

I'm interested in upgrading from LR 1.0 to LR 3 and would love to have opinions. I'm working with an Intel Mac.

Asher

charlie chipman

I had been using the beta version for a couple months now and the only real slow part I noticed was the loading times of the picture on my second monitor. It would load small sized fine, but when zoomed to 100% or any adjustments I made in the 'develop' section would take quite a while to process them, like upwards of 20-30 seconds or more at times. Only on the second monitor though, the picture on the monitor 1 (where the adjustments are made) would be more or less instantaneous.

Now that the beta version is expired I installed the 30 day trial of lightroom 3 yesterday so haven't used it enough to make any claims for or against anything. I will say that the issue I described above is no longer present, so that is a big plus for me.

I will be going through a huge series I've been working on tonight and tomorrow and if I come across any problems I will let you know.

I did not use Lightroom 1 much but I from what I understand there are huge advancements since then and it is probably worth it for you to check out the trial. For instance you can brush in different exposure adjustment using the mask feature right into the raw file in lightroom, no need to go to photoshop.

Asher Kelman

Charlie,

My main interest is the tethered feature to use in studio and in a performance with a cable drilled into the Blimp for sound proofing. If I can work during a performance to get things ready earlier, that would be great.

Asher

Nill Toulme

I'd never used Lightroom until recently... have been giving it a go because of its remarkably fine NR performance on high ISO images. But between its slowness (on my system) in moving from image to image and its lack of (for me) adequate keyboard shortcuts, I just can't use it to blow through a large (~200 image) shoot like I can with C1.

Nill

charlie chipman

I only experience slowness in moving between images when I am viewing them for the first time, it takes a while for lightroom to 'register' them all at first. I often open the folder then do something else for a few minutes and then come back to it at which point selecting images is as fast as hitting the arrow button.

Is the slowness you are experiencing Nill all of the time?

Asher besides plugging in my camera to see that tethered capture works I don't have much experience with it. I can say it responded quickly. I did not find a way to adjust any camera settings from lightroom, only a task bar that shows the camera, shutter, aperture, WB, 'processing style', and a shutter button to take the picture at which point it will autofocus the camera if its in AF mode and snaps the picture.

Asher Kelman

Asher besides plugging in my camera to see that tethered capture works I don't have much experience with it. I can say it responded quickly. I did not find a way to adjust any camera settings from lightroom, only a task bar that shows the camera, shutter, aperture, WB, 'processing style', and a shutter button to take the picture at which point it will autofocus the camera if its in AF mode and snaps the picture.

So, Charlie, if the image is under-exposed and on top of a pole, what do you do?

Asher

charlie chipman

I guess you would have to bring the camera down, adjust it and then put it back up on the pole. Not practical if you have changing light sources.

Perhaps you could use the Canon tethered software (I assume you can adjust camera settings with it ???) to do the camera stuff and use lightroom to collect the pictures.

I have not tried this myself but I found some info about setting up lightroom 2 to do this on scott kelby's blog. Perhaps it will work with your version of lightroom too.

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/1207#comments

Asher Kelman

I guess you would have to bring the camera down, adjust it and then put it back up on the pole. Not practical if you have changing light sources.

Perhaps you could use the Canon tethered software (I assume you can adjust camera settings with it ???) to do the camera stuff and use lightroom to collect the pictures.

I have not tried this myself but I found some info about setting up lightroom 2 to do this on scott kelby's blog. Perhaps it will work with your version of lightroom too.

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/1207#comments

Thanks, Charlie,

Pretty much how Capture One works! It pulls the images from a common "Watched" folder. Unfortunately, that's slow a molasses too! I wonder if anyone has used the Breeze utility for Mac?

Asher

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi Asher,

Not using LR3 for tethered shooting, but am generally happy with the program. I'm running on Windows Vista 64, Core 2 Duo and 4Gb. Hasn't hung up on me yet and performance is generally reasonably snappy. Scrolling a large selection of images in the library module can sometimes slug a bit, but nothing I can't live with.

Actual tools and functionality keep getting better in my opinion. The new Raw processing algorithms are making a big difference for me in fine landscape details, and the new publishing options are also great for keeping websites etc in sync with your library.