• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Learning Lightroom: what's avaliable?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
LIGHTROOM 1.0 TUTORIAL: The learning curve to be a whiz at Photoshop CS2 is no trivial task.
Well Photoshop was never really designed from the outset for working photographers. However, Adobe now has its flagship product, Lightroom 1.0 out with great ambition.

The goal is nothing less than to be the one virtual workshop where images enter, are rated, classified, processed and sent to be filed, published or printed. Well, good news, Lightroom 1.0 is pretty straightforward. We will, subsequently, introduce different training paths to Lightroom.

Michael Tapes at Rawworkflow.com has free streaming video turoirials. A larger format DVD is available for a nominal ~$10.

The video is of good quality 4"x6.5" (10x14cm) and is broken up into segments of 10-17 minutes each.

Michael's style is conversational and and it's easy to follow.

01 - Introduction and Greetings 1:44 (min:sec)
02 - User Interface 15:27
03 - The 5 Module Tour 14:44
04 - Importing Photographs 14:43
05 - Getting Around 17:21
06 - Quick Develop Panel 9:53
07 - Coming Soon

Segments 8-?? coming soon

Watch the training Videos here I enjoyed them!

Then let's discuss here learning Lightroom from this and other sources.

Asher

Last edited:

Andrew Rodney

While I'm an Alpha and have been using beta 5 (RC) for awhile, I picked up a few tips from Michael. The video's are superb.

Asher Kelman

Using Lightroom Beta Tutorials: Worthwhile or not.

Ben Long, Senior Editor of Creativepro.com wrote a great 3 part series on Lightroom Beta.

It's worth reading since most of it will get you where you will be familiar with the program quickly although, be forwarned, that Lightroom 1.0 due out in several weeks, has a number of significant refinements.

"Using Photoshop Lightroom"

Part 1 Tips and strategies for using Adobe's free beta 4 of Lightroom to import and organize your photographs.

Part 2 The editing and developing tools in Lightroom beta 4 share some similarities with Photoshop and Camera Raw, but there are significant differences. Here's how to get the most out of the new tools.

Part 3 Now that you've selected and edited your images to a fare-thee-well, it's time to show them off. Here's how to print them, post them to the Internet, and produce slideshows.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Beta Videos

Overview Adobe Pro Photography Evangelist George Jardine walks through the basics of getting up and running with Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom™ beta. You'll see the Photoshop Lightroom import, management, slideshow and printing features in action, and get some great ideas for how you can get started using Photoshop Lightroom beta today. This movie was captured using Photoshop Lightroom

Basic Correction Get started with the Photoshop Lightroom super-advanced raw processing controls. This short tutorial will help you learn to quickly and effectively make your photographs look their best using the new raw controls in the Basic panel and Tone Curve panel. This movie was captured using Photoshop Lightroom beta 2.

See here.

These introductions are well written, fast to digest and useful as a starting point.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

There's a clutch of Knowledge Eggs to be laid! Actually 7!

You can start of with an intro-chapter at no charge (smart promotion, I'd say!):

Downoad Chapter One of Martin Evening's upcoming book The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers for free right now here The actual book comes available March 11th.

Asher

KrisCarnmarker

I'm watching Michael's videos right now :)

Another source is (or will be) the Luminous Landscape videos. They are not free, and I think only the intro is available so far, but MR's videos are always of very high quality, so worthy to keep an eye on.

Jeff O'Neil

I have watched Michaels tutorials and they are quite good.

Another source is Scott Kelby's site Photoshop user. You have to be a member but they are good at keeping up with whats new and dividing the information into quick look or in depth subject matter.

Jeff