• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Cost and Weight of Religion

Charlotte Thompson

In keeping with John's theme I did this a few days ago pondering Easter" all the implications of religion
and titled this " The Cost and Weight of Religion"

guaze185-1.jpg

Charlotte Thompson​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In keeping with John's theme I did this a few days ago pondering Easter" all the implications of religion

guaze185-1.jpg

Charlotte Thompson​

guaze185-1.jpg

Charlotte Thompson​

Charlotte,

You're braver than I am!

To me, religion can be a wonderful scaffolding to hold things in place as we build up families and society, moving us from animal instincts to social responsibility. However, from time to time, in all religions, it seems that the scaffolding is used to hang folk who are in the way of an arrogant institution.

So I see religion as essentially wonderful, enriching our lives, but potentially dangerous, dividing us and setting us against one another.

Now i'm more foolish than you, Charlotte!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

It is not that I am brave. I for one find no solace in religion but this is my own opinion.
And albeit my own way of seeing and saying through my art. I think if people need religion in their lives then they should certainly have it.
For me the art pieces says that the idea of Christianity was and still is barbaric and the weight of it hangs on humanities back . Religion does play a huge part in helping others less fortunate. There are many wonderful qualities for sure- Now I want all that read this to let you know I want no arguments for or against only the freedom of artistic expressions and ideas as involvements.
Certainly I have made a statement and it's mine. It is what "I" believe- I am sure you all have your own and I am pleased with the freedom in America to be able to express what I see and feel. And of course Asher Kelman's wonderful enlightened forums. I so thank you!

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

Charlotte,

Take away the odd customs, the core values of congregations of any house of worship are essentially the finest one could imagine: honesty, responsibility, care of the infirm, aged, children, defenseless and the value of being good to people and charitable. These are found everywhere.

I wish that's all there was, but wishing won't make it so.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Is it that time of the year again? I just got over Christmas. One good thing about living in a Christian culture is the holidays. I like chocolate as well. Not real big on the gift giving, though. Then the relatives come around and expect to be fed, the kids expect presents and my sister gets the guilts and heads for church for the first time since December. A few strangely dressed men make the whole thing seem a bit serious on TV and even the politicians get on the band wagon by agreeing with their opponents momentarily. The shops close for a day, except for the Chinese take-away, a lot of people leave their clean and comfortable homes to be eaten alive by mozzies by the bank of a croc infested river and the price of fuel rises dramatically for the weekend. The bloke out the back is yelling 'Christ' a lot but I think he hit his finger with a hammer and I know he's not making a cross. My catholic friend called me and says she's still praying for my redemption. A few Baptists called with free magazines and a pleasant smile. The fringe dwellers of the Christian faith peddled their way around the neighborhood in 35 deg heat and a Moslem was told not so politely to go back where he came from (which is just down the road in Palmerston) by a collection of drunk red necks heading for a BBQ at the local chapter of the Hells Angels.
I like Christians. Some of my best friends are Christian. I even took one home to meet my mother once. What I can't figure out though is if it's so good in there why aren't there more of them? And why is it so confusing for us non believers to get our head around the idea that there are so many alternatives.
Anyway, enjoy the holiday. Don't eat too much chocolate, be nice to your friends and relatives and don't swim in the river. You don't have to be anything to do that.

Charlotte Thompson

Tom

Who do you write for? Wow that was the funniest best piece of tongue in cheek I've read in a long long time- I'm still laughing- well typing too-

Here in the States it is a lot about about the Easter bunny and much more tolerable.
nice to meet you here- and thanks again for that funniest home video!!

Charlotte-

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom

Who do you write for? Wow that was the funniest best piece of tongue in cheek I've read in a long long time- I'm still laughing- well typing too-

Here in the States it is a lot about about the Easter bunny and much more tolerable.
nice to meet you here- and thanks again for that funniest home video!!

Charlotte-

I forgot about the Easter Bunny, Charlotte. Now there's a lark. The poor kids get fed this stuff about Santa and a big rabbit and rein deer and the MAn on the Moon in among the walking on water, loaves and fishes and the occasional curing of bunions or a bad head ache and at some point they are expected to miraculously separate the facts from the fiction. You can understand why Betty-Sue or Jarrod-Lee stare at the TV or ipad all day when the real world is as confusing as that.
Is that true about the States? They don't seem to be all that friendly on CSI Miami. Does that bloke ever smile?

Charlotte, I write for you, my sweet, adorable thing, and only you. My only joy in life is to make you happy. Can you keep this to yourself? If the other members find out they'll move me on.

XXX
Tom

Asher Kelman

We've detected a transmission from an intelligent alien species and we're trying to decipher it. Unfortunately. We're not sure what it means, but likely it's a cry for help against oppression. So, we plan to send a tracking beam to its origin and nuke 'em. We have to preserve freedom!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
We've detected a transmission from an intelligent alien species and we're trying to decipher it. Unfortunately. We're not sure what it means, but likely it's a cry for help against oppression. So, we plan to send a tracking beam to its origin and nuke 'em. We have to preserve freedom!

Asher

Fair go, Asher, my mate. That's me at the other end of that beam. You've miss- translated. It was just Christine telling me to bring in the washing. Looks like rain on the way.
"Yes dear. I'm on my way. I just have to stop another bloody American from 'doing good'. The last time they tried to save someone the dinosaurs became extinct."

Asher Kelman

Fair go, Asher, my mate. That's me at the other end of that beam. You've miss- translated. It was just Christine telling me to bring in the washing. Looks like rain on the way.
"Yes dear. I'm on my way. I just have to stop another bloody American from 'doing good'. The last time they tried to save someone the dinosaurs became extinct."
Tom,

We tried metal detecters and Xray machines, but the dinosaurs simply sabotaged them. It's true that they didn't actually know how to assemble a nuclear weapon, but for sure they had no business having uranium ore in their roaming areas. That was far too much of a risk for us, so pre-emptive action was the only reasonable option at the time.

Asher