• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Canon Camera, a legend?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Good catch!

I think it means 24 MP and 8 frames per second!

I was wondering whether it would turn out to be 21 MP or 24MP. I think they have chosen that date to announce the camera that matches those figures!

I wish I could read the rest of the forum! I could with a dictionary and no sleep!

Asher

Daniel Harrison

pro member
Yeah, they have a pretty god discussion about it on FM, a jewish member gave the translation. Apparently it is a very reputable site so there is no chance of a hoax. I am wondering if it may be something new. Mabe a 3D, or new sensor technology? who knows, I guess well have to wait and see!

Asher Kelman

for your amusement:

http://www.digi163.com/Article/dc/dcnews/200603/11344_2.htm

"Xiaobian the authenticity of this news reservations, although all information received view, the escalation EOS-1Ds Mark II version is likely is in the pipeline, but whether it can achieve the above performance is hard to say. High pixels and high-speed Lianpai body is a pair of contradictions, and if the new generation of "big rabbit" (the name EOS-1Ds Mark II) in the pixels basis again raised Lianpai speed, in addition to a new CMOS technology, there is no other possibility. And to deal with such a large volume of data, DIGIC II processor performance is not enough, and the new generation of processors for information, the website says. To achieve the above series of performance, the development costs will not be low, they reached 5,000 U.S. dollars (48000RMB) price? Overall feeling all too "ideal."

In addition, the website also revealed that the EOS 30D will also be upgraded version of the introduction, there will be 10 million pixels and the Lianpai 7fps speed, and when rumours 20D upgraded version (35D) parameters alarming similar, but just listed EOS 30D immediately issued on the possibility of a very small edition, estimated only certain users the smoke? And the majority of the "secrets" of similar cases, the information "theory" has necklaces."

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Asher Kelman said:
Thanks Asher
I've Googled the full URL and then asked Google to translate the page!
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.digi163.com/Article/dc/dcnews/200603/11344_2.htm&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.digi163.com/Article/dc/dcnews/200603/11344_2.htm
In case this link wo'nt work, try it from Google!

And for the Lazy ones, they add:
A non-official news website from abroad, Canon Mark II EOS-1Ds an upgraded version, EOS-1Ds Mark III is born . Specific information is as follows :

1, the new aircraft in September 2006 will be the Photokina issued;

2, the size of picture using 22 million pixels CMOS sensor;

3, 5fps Lianpai speed

4, the new AF system;

5, Mark II EOS-1Ds lower prices than expected 80% in 5000;

6, Mark II is now cut off EOS-1Ds

Asher Kelman

Look how wonderful the translation is: "the information "theory" has necklaces"

I wonder what the original metaphor is?

Asher

Roger Lambert

Asher Kelman said:
for your amusement:

http://www.digi163.com/Article/dc/dcnews/200603/11344_2.htm

"Xiaobian the authenticity of this news reservations, although all information received view, the escalation EOS-1Ds Mark II version is likely is in the pipeline, but whether it can achieve the above performance is hard to say. High pixels and high-speed Lianpai body is a pair of contradictions, and if the new generation of "big rabbit" (the name EOS-1Ds Mark II) in the pixels basis again raised Lianpai speed, in addition to a new CMOS technology, there is no other possibility. And to deal with such a large volume of data, DIGIC II processor performance is not enough, and the new generation of processors for information, the website says. To achieve the above series of performance, the development costs will not be low, they reached 5,000 U.S. dollars (48000RMB) price? Overall feeling all too "ideal."

In addition, the website also revealed that the EOS 30D will also be upgraded version of the introduction, there will be 10 million pixels and the Lianpai 7fps speed, and when rumours 20D upgraded version (35D) parameters alarming similar, but just listed EOS 30D immediately issued on the possibility of a very small edition, estimated only certain users the smoke? And the majority of the "secrets" of similar cases, the information "theory" has necklaces."

Wouldn't it be funny if something really wasn't actually lost in translation, but was, in fact, an ace reporter's startling discovery of a Donnie Darko-Harvey-esque influence on the Canon R&D department? With a hint of exotic oriental
liaisons and blackmail thrown into the mix.

Might go a long way toward explaining the 5D's print button.

Andy

The pronunciation of “2” is very similar to “Rabbit” in Chinese.
So we call 1D MK 2 as “Small Rabbit”, and 1Ds MK2 as “Big Rabbit” in China.

And the above link is 100% speculation. No actual or reliable information is provided. They got the information from somewhere in the internet and do not know if it is true.

silica

Daniel Harrison said:
Yeah, they have a pretty god discussion about it on FM

God discussion? Where is Freud when you need him?

The Fred Miranda forum is good, but I never knew it was where the Almighty hangs out.

Tom Yi

Canon usually announces two bodies at a time. The Rebel XT is now at the end of it's 18month cycle and I guess will be replaced. Probably same 8MP with Digic II and plastic body. I would think that it'll come with the new Standard 2.5 inch LCD and Picture Styles to bring it along the lines of the other cameras.

I think by new legend and all this talk the other camera that will be introduced is a successor to the 1Ds Mark II, as this is also the other camera that currently has not been upgraded to include Picture Style and a 2.5 inch LCD. From all this talk it sounds like it may be a 1Ds Mark III vs an N version as was the 1D Mark II N. The 1D Mark II N and the 5D was released just under a year ago, so I doubt that pro level cameras would be replaced this soon. The 30D was released this Feb, so I also doubt this would be replaced as well. Lastly with 5 dslr bodies, I don't think Canon would release another different body.

Last edited:

Tom Yi

Not sure about 8fps and 24mp's Asher. It generally takes about 50% increase in pixel count to make a noticable increase in resolution so going from 16 to 22-24 makes sense. But 8fps??? That's a lot of RAM/write speed to consider. Maybe 5fps at 22MP's in my view. But I guess we're all speculating here. Either way, 20's MP would be really big. I hope you have a very very fast and powerful computer to handle all that data.

Oh, Canon usually announces their new line up late Aug/early Sept and they tend to be delivered late Sep/early Oct.

Frank Werner

and which Canon lens should be able to display the details of a 24 MP Sensor? My 1DS II brings already all my zoom lenses and all lenses below 24-35 mm to its limits. I'm hoping since 11/2004 (when I got my 1Ds II) that the new version will have: a dust remover, a Foveon or other kind of 3 color sensor and 16.7 MP. A Foveon like sensor would be a giant step as you would have the same file sizes and higher resolution. But even here... which 35mm SLR Lens would be able to display the resolution...

Having only one 1 series camera would be a logical step... if they really get 24/22 MP done at 8fps... poor Nikon... then it will be a great camera and I will call my dealer on monday to put me on a non exisiting(or maybe) already existing list for it.. but I had the hope that the MP Madness will stop on a certain point.

Hope at least they bring a Utrasonic dust remover.... like the $800 Olympus cams have...

Last edited:

Tom Yi

I remember Chuck's interview last fall at Photokina or somewhere where he said that they are not interested in more MP for the sake of having more. I seem to remember him saying that they are focusing now on lenses (higher profit margin) to take advantage of the resolving power of the current sensors.

I personally see a 1DsMark II N being released just like the 1D Mark II N with a 2.5in LCD, picture styles, and few minor upgrades. Perhaps in another two years, the 1Ds and the 1D may merge. But who knows.

Asher Kelman

Tom Yi said:
Not sure about 8fps and 24mp's Asher. It generally takes about 50% increase in pixel count to make a noticable increase in resolution so going from 16 to 22-24 makes sense. But 8fps??? That's a lot of RAM/write speed to consider. Maybe 5fps at 22MP's in my view. But I guess we're all speculating here. Either way, 20's MP would be really big. I hope you have a very very fast and powerful computer to handle all that data.

Oh, Canon usually announces their new line up late Aug/early Sept and they tend to be delivered late Sep/early Oct.

Tom,

I was thinking wishfully! My understanding is as yours, and my info, if it is confirmed by a marketed model, backs that up.

Asher

Jane Auburn

Asher Kelman said:
Good catch!

I think it means 24 MP and 8 frames per second!

I was wondering whether it would turn out to be 21 MP or 24MP. I think they have chosen that date to announce the camera that matches those figures!

I wish I could read the rest of the forum! I could with a dictionary and no sleep!

Asher

So will Canon be combining the fast and slow 1D cameras?

Roger Lambert

Here is the latest scuttlebutt from FM on the upcoming new products to arrive at Photokina.

There seems to be seem credence to the messenger of this rumor:

a merged 1D series camera, 18.5 mp, @5 fps and 10 mp @8.5 fps with digic 3. looks like current 1D

a 5D update or camera looking like a 5D, 6 fps, improved autofocus, digic 3. same sensor as 5D.

100-400 4L - improved IS
35 1.8
400 5.6 IS

Don Lashier

Being the eternal optimist, I'm hoping that the "legend" will be something truly significant, like finally a new sensor based on Canon's patents which are now 5 or 6 years old - about right to turn into a product.

- DL

Daniel Harrison

pro member
hmmm, well I now have the money for a 1D 2. So the question is do I buy one before photokina (or more to the point the 24th Aug) or after? My feeling is that there will not be a 1D 2 replacement and that the used price may actually go up, becuase no one is buying at the moment because it is photokina time :)

Of course if they do release a 3D then I may regret it...

or would I :)

advise?

I have my eye on one that ends in 1 day or so...

Tom Henkel

Possible, but I still have doubts...

Roger Lambert said:
Here is the latest scuttlebutt from FM on the upcoming new products to arrive at Photokina.

a merged 1D series camera, 18.5 mp, @5 fps and 10 mp @8.5 fps with digic 3. looks like current 1D

a 5D update or camera looking like a 5D, 6 fps, improved autofocus, digic 3. same sensor as 5D.

100-400 4L - improved IS
35 1.8
400 5.6 IS

I saw this post in FM. Apparently it was deleted, leading to speculation that it might be accurate and in conflict with NDAs that might be in place at FM.

I used to work with a guy (an englishman, of course) who would have called this a "warm tea" product -- half the people want iced tea, the other half want hot tea so you mix the two together and get a product that doesn't really satisfy either group. That was my first reaction to these specs. It certainly accomplishes the 1D consolidation objective that Canon appears to want. But there really isn't any "WOW" impact that would drive either the 1DMkII or 1DsMKII customer base to upgrade. There wasn't any speculation on price, so that could be a motivating factor. For example, if the price is in the $4K (USD) range, the 1DMkII customer base might be incented to upgrade. If it's closer to $8K (USD) it's hard to imagine the 1DsMkII customers will be in a hurry to upgrade. It also raises the question of whether Canon is planning yet another product to compete head-on with the medium format vendors (i.e., someting in the 20+ megapixel range). That creates the dilemma of whether to consider this product or wait a while to see if there is another high-end product announcement coming for PMA. It seems to me this sort of product would do little to attract the attention of the MF customers.

The other factor about these specs that make me wonder is it sure sounds like a Canon version of the D2Xs. I always felt Canon would not do a crop-mode camera because it would legitimize Nikon's approach. If I was doing PR for Nikon (I do not, for the record), I might be inclined to declare that the balance of power in the pro DSLR market has shifted -- now Canon is chasing Nikon from a product innovation perspective. Whether that spin would stick is debatable, but it would be sure worth a try.

I also doubt that Canon would announce two FF choices in one announcement. There weren't a lot of details mentioned about a 5D replacement, but it would seem odd that Canon would offer two price options at the same time. Usually they offer the high-end option first, then go for the less expensive product.

The refreshed 100-400L rumor has been around for a while. I would think a new 50mm L would make more sense than another 35mm choice (nothing wrong with the 35mm f/1.4L). And of all the lenses Canon could refresh, I'm not sure why the 400mm 5.6IS would be high on the priority list.

Tom

Last edited:

Jason C Doss

Tom Henkel said:
I saw this post in FM. Apparently it was deleted, leading to speculation that it might be accurate and in conflict with NDAs that might be in place at FM.

Or, more likely, the original post was deleted by the original poster. The information is still available at FM in other threads, therefore the likelihood that it was censored is fairly low.

Tom Grey

Roger Lambert said:

100-400 4L - improved IS
35 1.8
400 5.6 IS

Some comments.

First, this was deleted by the OP, who is apparently a reputable guy with a long record of posts at FM. Adds plausibility.

The "merged 1-series" would be about six months earlier than most people expect. On the other hand, the specs are plausible for a first run at this merger. Hard to see how they can merge WITHOUT going the crop route, as the demands of the sports/wildlife folks just differ from the wedding/landscape group. Also, the fact that the MP doesn't go all the way to 22 leaves room for expansion in the next model, if 22 is "the wall" for full frame DSLRs that meet Canon high-ISO standards.

DIGIC 3 and possible improved DR and high-ISO could tempt some 1Ds2 folks to upgrade, even with limited mp growth. These are people who tend not to be penny-counters.

Admittedly the 5D upgrade seems a little odd. I would have thought more likely was a 1.6 or 1.3 sensor with high-quality AF at the weight of the 30D/5D -- something parallel to the 5D for sports/wildlife, rather than in the same line.

The 100-400/4 would not be an upgrade of the current 100-400 but a much heavier, much more expensive lens (6lbs, $4K), competing with the Nikon 200-400/4.

The 35/1.8 seems plausible -- adding a non-L normal lens for the 1.6 cameras to replace the 35/2.

The 400/5.6 IS would be a bit of a niche job for bird photographers like me! Don't know how plausible that is. The current version is a great lens, but lacks IS, and Canon at some point will make all their tele lenses IS.

The array seems like it can't be complete, as there presumably has to be either an upgrade of the 350D, or a new bottom-level DSLR (3000D) or both.

Still, all in all, the best rumor out there, seems to me. I'm enjoying the gear-hungry rumor fest!