• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Review: Sagelight Image Editor

Jean Henderson

I'd like to share with everyone an image editing program still in beta that I am now using. Sagelight offers a free trial that can be downloaded from http://www.sagelighteditor.com/

Currently in version 4.2, the program has been developed by a single developer who is making use of new technology in this arena. You'll find all kinds of information about that on the "New Technology" link located on the homepage. Around Rob, the developer, is a community of users who ask specific questions and make suggestions for what they would like to see included. He is most responsive and will soon be making the 4.3 release available for use. The plan after that is the release of version 5 that will be the first non-beta release. Version 5 will further be broken into two versions -- one for Basic users and one for Pro users. In the beta versions you'll find everything in one program.

Rob's main desire began with wanting to create software that almost anyone can get the most out of from an intuitive stance. That has grown to include those functions that will be exclusive to the Pro version for those who need or want them.

No, I haven't removed Lightroom nor Photoshop from my system yet, but do expect to do that in the future as Sagelight comes into its maturity. Yes, you will experience a learning curve that will differ depending on what software you are currently using. But, ah, yes, it is most intuitive and will be presenting a new GUI soon. Most of all, I am impressed with the results I'm getting -- and so relatively quickly -- in comparison to Lightroom.

Unlike Lightroom 3 (I've not downloaded the LR4 trial), Sagelight does not yet offer DAM management, ICC profiling for printing (but I use another smaller program for that called Qimage), metadata and tagging capability. In addition, it currently is available for Windows and Linux only although plans are in the works for porting it to Macs and maybe even some of the newer devices out today.

For now, the program is selling for $39.95 for the lifetime version -- as kind of a reward to those who are purchasing it and contributing to its development. Version 5 will be competitively priced vis a vis Lightroom 4. If the idea of a new learning curve doesn't put you off, I would highly recommend that you download the trial and see for yourself just what it can do. The program itself includes built in help files; there are additional written tutorials on the site; a large number of youtube videos; and, finally, the discussion board, where everything not explained in those places just listed, is the place to go to learn the latest info about Sagelight.

I guess, by way of full disclosure, I should mention that I have volunteered to help organize the documentation that already exists simply because I am so impressed with what the program can do.

Jean