• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

HDR Finishes!

Steve Robinson

I've been using LR since Ver 1 beta and it keeps getting better. With Ver 4 I think the noise reduction algorithms are not too bad. I haven't done a lot of really high ISO imagery yet but I did try this shot of an airport terminal late at night using a Pentax K5 at ISO 12800 and used the NR in LR 4.2. I'm far from an expert on processing software so this is just for grins and giggles.

KBIL%20Terminal-3013-XL.jpg

I've been using LR since Ver 1 beta and it keeps getting better. With Ver 4 I think the noise reduction algorithms are not too bad. I haven't done a lot of really high ISO imagery yet but I did try this shot of an airport terminal late at night using a Pentax K5 at ISO 12800 and used the NR in LR 4.2. I'm far from an expert on processing software so this is just for grins and giggles.

Hi Steve,

SNS-HDR (which is the thread you originally posted in, if I'm not mistaken) is special. In one of my many comparisons between the various software offerings, I came across yet another example of SNS-HDR's superiority, compared to the new LR4 functionality.

Here are two renderings of the same 7 exposure HDR bracketed series. I tried to optimize the new Lightroom 4.x capability to use 32-bit/channel floating point TIFFs from Photoshop (first image crop), followed by the current SNS-HDR rendering quality from the same 7 TIFF input files (while attempting to mimick the LR4 overall optimized look):

7883-9-LR41(7).jpg
7883-9-SNSHDR(7).jpg

Apparently, SNS-HDR is the one that retains a non-posterized view of this admittedly extreme input, and Lightroom's cutting edge tonemapping technology fails, big time.

Cheers,
Bart

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Steve,

SNS-HDR (which is the thread you originally posted in, if I'm not mistaken) is special.

Bart,

I appreciate so much that you noted where the picture was originally placed. Steve kindly allowed us to place it in a new thread and this was, indeed a lure to get someone to show a comparison Lightroom with the latest offerings of SNS-HDR. Thanks!

You did not disappoint!

Asher :)