• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flowers in Monochrome!

Chris Calohan

The color combination was awkward. It was easy to isolate what tonal values I needed for the color rendition, but they didn't want to translate the same way in monochrome.

See:

8988865321_f9b392f10a_z.jpg

Antonio Correia

Perhaps I don't Asher ... LOL

Here there is a nice collection of B&W flowers... Jack and Chis just posted some great images for example !

Chris Calohan

Thank you. I am currently updating a Day Lily farm that boasts over 1,500 varieties of Day Lilies. It's mostly all work but on occasion, I sneak a few art shots to keep my sanity.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
sunflower.jpg

Chris Heilman : Sunflower

Chris,

It's really unique and almost aristocratic and haughty as you have it! Such a giant platform for the insects but really short petals around it. This is not what the flower stores in Los Angeles tend to show, LOL!

But this is exactly how I remember sunflowers when I grew up in London. Just like the one here. My mother tended a whole bed of them and they grew 6 ft tall. My mother checked every day to see the flowers opening and waiting for them all to be in full bloom. One day, my father came in the kitchen with a set of pruning shears, proudly announcing that he has dealt with those giant weeds once and for all!

Asher

Chris Heilman

What a cool memory Asher. And thank you for the observations. Not ready for LA ... Heh.

I watched this particular flower appear in a week:
sunflowers.jpg

Charlotte Thompson

Antonio Hi!
I super like the second photograph. It has such a great metaphor surrounding it! Almost a cemetery look and feel to it- but somehow a remembered emotion. Looks like an overlay…is it?

Charlotte-

Antonio Correia

Michaela your images is great but perhaps you need to sharpen the stamens so they get a more important part of the image and so, enhance the DOF.
-
Carlotte. This photograph is a poor essay of mines. That day I bought a bouket to photograph and participate here. For the time being I did not get "decent" results.

That day I also took some photographs of flowers on the selling point. This is one of them. Here is the original. I am not sure but don't think these flowers were to send to the cemetery...

The light in the market is very good as it comes from above, very difused.

Thank you for the enthusiasm and comment ! :)

i-gg6TB7t-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
DSC_5362-001.JPG

An Asiatic Lily in monochrome.

Of course this is beautiful, Micharla. You have taken an even handed approach to the flower's elements. It works in your composition. I did pretty much the same as you in the opening post #1, above, of this now wonderful thread.

Still, there are, nevertheless, a lot more choices to consider! There can be brighter and darker parts and also some can be sharper! Just options, not directions or expressions of shortcomings!

As a reference to what's possible, see Chris Calohan's "Dark Wonder"! Works like that certainly make me want to get the very most out of the presentation options available. It's easier with a dark flower where lighting a part can be dramatic. With white flowers, it's possible too, but somewhat harder!

Asher!