• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who we are and what Makes for A Great Photographer anyway!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is directed to those of us who are stuck on a plateau of competency to capture scenes but there's no essential dynamic thrust or identity coming from the work.

Let's start with who are we here?

Well, we're the most implausible mixture of talented pros, enthusiasts and amateurs of every possible background. The common thread in all our stories is a passion for making photographs. So how does one succeed? What makes pictures any better than the millions of snapshots taken each day by perfectly competent digicams with auto-everything activated?

You have a camera and anywhere you point it you can get a well exposed picture. If it's a fun moment, that might be valuable to you, if it's an assassination or Sarah Palin in bed with her on-off son in law, then you have something to sell. However, these are not the main thrust of OPF.

In OPF, we look to getting a kick out of each others signature work. We seek to be entertained and not overburdened with gear obsession or every snap we take, just the best. In doing so, we can energize each other and feel better for it!

There are many courses given and a few are even promoted in the Uptown Section of OPF. It's not OPF's job to teach, rather to exchange. So let's make a down-payment for which in return you will go out and shoot interesting pictures and share the best of them!

Your camera is just a tool for the mind to express ideas through the picture. If there's nothing in your mind to be externalized, then we cannot expect much of the picture.

Let me tell you what I think is unimportant:

• Even illumination
  • A fine lens
  • Accurate focus
  • The entire object
  • A particular composition according to some rule
  • The correct colors
  • Good resolution

Let me share, in no particular order, "matters", alone or in combination, that might give you a "winning picture"

• An interesting subject shown in a novel way
  • Your recognized imprint seen in other works too
  • Something that has secrets
  • Amazing beauty
  • Striking disorder
  • Balance and disorder in some state of energized equilibrium
  • Humor
  • Providing a form wherein one can wonder and wander
  • Something that seems to own an identity and almost lives
  • Embedded conundra
  • references to literature, mythology and other cultural elements of our civilizations
  • and so much more

Goals that come from within oneself. Here's how I see it:

One needs to be there, standing on one's own two feet, knowing one's own own likes and dislikes, thinking one's own thoughts, having enjoyment or angst from parts of life that feed a need to observe, create and direct the camera. Much as it might be possible to meddle with your life, we cannot find your true love. Only you can.

The suggestion is this.

Write down what interests you the most in photography and where would you be happiest working to make pictures? By where is meant, what part of the universe of possible subjects and purposes where photography can be applied, would you seek to put your efforts?

Alain Briot, for example, is committed to Landscape photography. While it's true I really like a picture he made of a bicycle leaning against a wall in Paris, his job, his devotion, is Landscape of the often dry, but sometimes snow-capped National Parks of the Western USA. Frank Doorhof photographs glamor. He gets paid for that and can teach you like no one else. Ask him to do street photography and you'd make him nervous. Nicolas Claris Photographs the architecture of the grandest sailboats and motor cruisers in the world. Also modern architecture. I have as yet to see equally amazing pictures of landscapes or figure studies. Jim Galli coaxes angel-light to paint soft forms to large sheets of film using lenses older than all of us here! His work is uniquely craftsmanlike and artistic. Each image, whether of a man, a flower or a car, has, in its make up, the devotion of a portraitist's mind.

All these photographers are devoted to one idea: to be excellent and top of the field in one area that makes them happy. Our enjoyment of their photography is actually an extension of their own happiness.

So where does one start? If the photographer has no devotion it's unlikely, IMHO, that much worthwhile will come of whatever effort is made. Art ultimately may have an absolute requirement for some directed motivation by the would-be artist. So "what you want to do most", must be the starting point.

Write down you interests. Pick even 3-4 topics. Buy only one book, go to local galleries/museums to see more of these subjects. Plan pictures for one of your topics, just for now. Sketch the shot on paper and eventually in your mind. Shoot, select the best, print in B&W and draw on your pictures any needed changes and repeat until you have 10 pictures you like. Then post the best here.

Yes, it does seem rather obsessional and at first even work against one's free spirit. However, if one doesn't formally discipline oneself with a narrow goal, one cannot satisfy oneself that one has done something one wanted.

If you have fun snaps in the meanwhile, share them too. However, know the difference!

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Asher,

Isn't what you are asking akin to an artist statement? If not, what is the difference (I suppose one needs to know what the goal of an artist statement is to answer that, but I know that you know).

Also, yes, I promote my landscapes more than any other subject, however what is most important is my personal vision, and that can be applied to any subject, not just to landscapes. It just so happen that I have focused on landscapes for a while, but I may change at some future point. In fact, in the coming weeks I will post photographs of pieces I made for my garage ("Garage art" as I like to call it), that I just completed. These are quite large, 40x50" to 50x100", because the space requires large artwork otherwise it will look like "postage stamps on a wall!" These pieces are all about cars, both mine and historical cars I photographed at shows earlier this year. No landscapes there!

Alain

Asher Kelman

Asher,

Isn't what you are asking akin to an artist statement? If not, what is the difference (I suppose one needs to know what the goal of an artist statement is to answer that, but I know that you know).

Yes, that's true. We need to know where your commitment is!

As I said "All these photographers are devoted to one idea: to be excellent and top of the field in one area that makes them happy. Our enjoyment of their photography is actually an extension of their own happiness." If the photographer cannot articulate some driving passion of and in their work, why should we spend precious time trying to work it out for him/her!

Also, yes, I promote my landscapes more than any other subject, however what is most important is my personal vision, and that can be applied to any subject, not just to landscapes. It just so happen that I have focused on landscapes for a while, but I may change at some future point. In fact, in the coming weeks I will post photographs of pieces I made for my garage ("Garage art" as I like to call it), that I just completed. These are quite large, 40x50" to 50x100", because the space requires large artwork otherwise it will look like "postage stamps on a wall!" These pieces are all about cars, both mine and historical cars I photographed at shows earlier this year. No landscapes there!

Alain

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing examples. I know for one thing, you know that the pictures have to be and will be linked to what makes you thrilled and happy. It will be of subjects you have tried to know really well. After all, if you can't commit, why should the rest of the world?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Let me revisit the work of one photographer, Nicolas Claris. He photographs boats and grand architecture. If he wished to, he could, instead, be a landscape photographer or make winning portraits. But for that, no doubt, he would put in an effort that would leave most of us behind. His career is a good lesson in focus. Nor only has he built boats but he's sailed them too as a captain. When he photographs boats, there's a good chance he sat down at the boardroom table with the master naval architect and the owner at the stage when it is all dreams and repeated sketches. So when the keel is laid down or the decks built, or the masts arrive, Nicolas is there, understanding the significance of every bolt, joint and grommet.

This focus on the boat from a dream to it's maiden voyage is what singularly allows one man with a modest but brilliant team to compete well in the rare but competitive world of luxury yacht building, catamarans and grand motor boats. Not only does he do the photography but also the PR and branding for these companies feeding this almost regal elite international boatbuilding industry in the finest locations.

So what's the lesson. Nicolas is committed to what he loves, his family, the sea, boats and his photography. If he didn't care about color and form, the pictures would not demand fees that would pay for the occupation he's committed to. So the take home lesson is this. Know yourself first and what you like. Photography to work beyond the job of the cataloger or forensic photographer, needs to be about something that one cherishes or is fired up about. So there's honesty at the core of it.

Pick any other successfully established fine photographer. Likely there's a similar story.

So that's the lesson, find out what you love, commit to it, learn about it so you know as much about this small universe as God we'd hope must know about his. Respect what you photograph. When one does art, one must act as a god of one's domain and be able to externalize feelings and embed them into a picture. All one delivers then in a picture is a slice of one's own happiness and success.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Gee Asher, that's quite a manifesto stew! I can't digest, or even understand, some of it so I've no idea if I really belong inside the circle it seems to try to scribe.

But here's my own view of OPF.

I long ago abandoned all other amateur photo forum sites for the simple reason that they were populated almost exclusively by mindless equipment chatter. In fairness, such jabber can sometimes be informative if you're pondering a purchase. But sites like DPreview (and they're nearly all "like DPreview") have about as much relationship to photography as EPinions.

I very occasionally visit some such sites to eavesdrop on selected topics but my days of persistent participation in online forums are behind me. I came to realize that time spent behind a keyboard (yes, such as I'm doing now ;-) ) was not productive towards my own interests in photography and in the broader world of art. Not to be a snot, but there's simply nothing I'm likely to gain from such participation. The typical participants, 30-year-young men, typically in some computer job, with new babies and new digital cameras, are in an entirely different galaxy from me; not worse, just different and with no commonality.

The environment here at OPF is actually quite different. First, and most significantly, the discussions are not dominated by endless camera debates. In fact, there's little of that at OPF.

Rather, the discussions in most OPF areas lean strongly toward what folks are doing, and want to do, with their cameras, whatever those cameras may be. We have participants that are using the latest-and-greatest gear, but we also have participants like Jim Galli who basically uses large format cameras and shoots through the optical equivalent of the bottoms of soda bottles. And they're all chatting together. That's pretty special.

As Asher noted, here there are rank beginners and leather-necked veterans, again, intelligently chatting together. Also significantly, probably because OPF is not driven by gearheads, it's friendly to female participants who often enrich discussions by adding broader perspectives that are rarely represented on any other site.

Lastly, it's a relatively sleepy place with low traffic and also low noise. You can easily catch-up after a week away.

So while I greatly limit my own participation in any online forum, nearly all of my budgeted time goes towards OPF. It's a friendly place with a population of participants interested in photography. If you'll excuse a reference to a 1960's American television series, it's rather like a Mayberry of photo forum sites.

Asher Kelman

Gee Asher, that's quite a manifesto stew! I can't digest, or even understand, some of it so I've no idea if I really belong inside the circle it seems to try to scribe.
Let me tackle this again but hopefully more succinctly.

My whole sense of the matter is that to succeed, most certainly as an artist, (or even often professionally), one needs to have passion to share. This comes from defined goals driven from within by personal values, reacting to education and observation. The subject matter must be understood even better than the gear. All the details of camera and lenses don't make up for undisciplined work. Simple gear and honest expression, (wherein one's own fingerprints are in evidence in the work, can make for the finest photographs.

But here's my own view of OPF.

I long ago abandoned all other amateur photo forum sites for the simple reason that they were populated almost exclusively by mindless equipment chatter. ........

The environment here at OPF is actually quite different. First, and most significantly, the discussions are not dominated by endless camera debates. In fact, there's little of that at OPF.

Rather, the discussions in most OPF areas lean strongly toward what folks are doing, and want to do, with their cameras, whatever those cameras may be. We have participants that are using the latest-and-greatest gear, but we also have participants like Jim Galli who basically uses large format cameras and shoots through the optical equivalent of the bottoms of soda bottles. And they're all chatting together. That's pretty special.

This then, Ken, is the glue that holds us together. It's precarious, since each day is an experiment in inspiration, competence, quality and manners. But we do succeed modestly through folk being generous in sharing and forbearance.

Thanks for doing your stalwart bit! I appreciate your generous help and am now more used to your acerbic wit!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Tsk-Tsk- females love this place- so much to learn from all those men-
how else would we know- hmmmmm-

Charlotte-

Hi Charlotte,

I took out my broom and swept away the off topic posts here. I'd say that as expected, men like women too much! I know that everyone that can stay here and wishes to stay here are good people. Soon, I'll delete this post too, as "off topic", LOL!

Asher

Maybe it's the only place where women are not supposed to photograph their babies or do some photoshop painted art. (or that kind of angelic compositing stuff). We are most of the time concealed in this secret place, stucked between Mary and Charles Ingalls.

Charlotte Thompson

or...." Stuck Between the Moon and New York Ciy"-Portrait of C. Thompson by William Blackford-

SOB_6533-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

we're definitively not in the Little House on the Prairie :)

The analogy I like best is that we are on a Yellow Tour bus. We hop on board and travel together each for their own reasons, but all enthusiastic about enjoying photography.

Each person has a destination perhaps. Just sharing experiences, exchanging itineraries and choice locations, we help each other. Each of us will do their best to share ideas and be honest. We'll help anyone but mostly we want to inspire and energize each other to get the most of of this common endeavor, making pictures that we will treasure and others will enjoy.

Every so often folk get on and off the bus and that's how it is.

Just we should be nice to everyone n the tour bus!

Asher