• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Stay away From my squirrel

Don Ferguson Jr.

I was able to get within 5 feet of this red tailed hawk before he flew off with the squirrel in talons ,but I was not quick enough to get a pic of it .
Shot with 17-85 and he was moving but I thought you would enjoy it.
Don

img20061029021505sf7.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Don,

Even though these capture shots are a little gruesome to some, I feel that these real peeks into the nature of life are vital to protecting these creatures.

Our children's book makes human caricatures of beavers, mice and bears. They are made to seem to have wishes and concerns in common to a human family, even with using pots and pans and driving cars. This is fun. However, it also distances us from what the creatures are and their fragility.

Worse it prevents us from seeing the animal nature of our own drives, the engine of much of which we do, like having wars.

Here Don shows the Red-Tailed Hawk in real life. This is an essential part of the cycle of nature.

The sun shines on the leaves of the oak tree allowing carbon dioxide that we breathe out to be trapped into partly to wood and also to starch in acorns. The latter food for the squirrel ends up in the Hawk, which, when it dies, feeds numerous insects, bugs and worms also fungi and bacteria.

Without all this there would be no soil for the trees to grow. If the trees didn't grow, the world would be barren, filled with toxic carbon dioxide and too hot for life, as we know it.

So lets have more of this.

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

Asher,
A good way to put it in context .You gonna laugh at this I had not seen Michael's great picures of his red tailed hawk until after I put mine on.
For a 17-85 lens with what I had to work with I think it looks pretty good.
You would have liked to have seen him so up close grab that squirrel and fly off .It was an amazing sight to see .
Regards,
Don