• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Reading the reading

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
img001_oO.jpg

(two be viewed from 15 feet) over.slip.time - M Hampton

Mark,

I did exactly what you asked, viewed from from 15 feet. I had to up my monitor brightness and change my glasses, then the fellow came to life. So how does it change from the original in your own experience? How much time should "slip by" and do I need to be armed? He looks pretty impressive as it is.

Asher

Mark Hampton

img001_oO.jpg

(two be viewed from 15 feet) over.slip.time - M Hampton

Mark,

I did exactly what you asked, viewed from from 15 feet. I had to up my monitor brightness and change my glasses, then the fellow came to life. So how does it change from the original in your own experience? How much time should "slip by" and do I need to be armed? He looks pretty impressive as it is.

Asher

Asher,

it was a suggestion !

there is no original in my experience - there was an idea and I done it and it's it. I practiced with the whole procces and this is what works doing what I did I guess

time wise - 80 odd years or the exposuer time - or those times when we make images of people between times - the slip times - like tom talks about when he makes images of himself - or the camera does..

thanks for asking - btw did he start singing when you stood back - he should have !

cheers

time smears in photography...

Mark Hampton

Manifest.Destiny

2 panels of a four panel work. this is the union Manifest destiny section. i have used some symbols that are ancient and also modern - meanings have been stacked on these from many cultures. some good and some bad.

the culture i have grown up in practiced and still does manifest destiny.

ukleftrightLs.jpg

[Extract Left Panel]manifest.destiny - M Hampton

ukleftrightRS.jpg

[Extract Right Panel]manifest.destiny - M Hampton​

Epson CN21NF lazer print on Logic Image 80/mg paper with church candle wax scanned - 40/40 images

Mark Hampton

this work was made with the prevoius in mind - the format is the triptich - more formal than race.race.race

all.jpg

G8.Alter.Peace - M Hampton​

here are the panels.

Lpanel.jpg

[Left Panel] G8.Alter.Peace - M Hampton

Cpanel.jpg

[Center Panel] G8.Alter.Peace - M Hampton

Rpanel.jpg

[Right Panel] G8.Alter.Peace - M Hampton​

Epson CN21NF lazer print on Logic Image 80/mg paper with church candle wax scanned - approx 120/40 image

Mark Hampton

bumpy bumpy

this work was made with the prevoius in mind - the format is the triptich - more formal than race.race.race

all.jpg

G8.Alter.Peace - M Hampton​

here are the panels.

Lpanel.jpg

[Left Panel] G8.Alter.Peace - M Hampton

Cpanel.jpg

[Center Panel] G8.Alter.Peace - M Hampton

Rpanel.jpg

[Right Panel] G8.Alter.Peace - M Hampton​

Epson CN21NF lazer print on Logic Image 80/mg paper with church candle wax scanned - approx 120/40 image

nothing to add .......... yet

Asher Kelman

2 panels of a four panel work. this is the union Manifest destiny section. i have used some symbols that are ancient and also modern - meanings have been stacked on these from many cultures. some good and some bad.

the culture i have grown up in practiced and still does manifest destiny

Mark,

"Britannia Rule The Waves" (turn up the sound), immediately popped up when I saw these pictures, then gradually spread of this genetic influence in all the subsequent progeny.

ukleftrightRS.jpg

[Extract Right Panel]manifest.destiny - M Hampton

Epson CN21NF lazer print on Logic Image 80/mg paper with church candle wax scanned - 40/40 images

[/I]

The art in layers is excellent as a concept and well executed. Your explanation is generous and a gesture that I really appreciate as I can get far closer to your intent and mindset, than trying to read it on my own and totally up to my own devices. Still, even with your explanation, I can use your work as a "muse" for my dreamy times. So it works on many levels. :)

The guide you provide, (through your brief introductions), is indicative[/I] but not compulsory; kudos for not being slavish to "Art must speak for itself"!

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

Mark Hampton

Asher,

thanks for the insite into the reader ... some works are open - like stills from a film never made - where it is as it is - the title with the work (i hope) gives enough to work with - but sometimes a bit more is needed as you point out...

here are the last 2 panels of this working of manifest.destiny ....

usaR.jpg

[Extract Left Panel]manifest.destiny - M Hampton

usaL.jpg

[Extract Right Panel]manifest.destiny - M Hampton

thanks for looking in...

Mark Hampton

Intervention Bob

this is one of 1st sketches involving bob - he came to our house yesterday and is settling in well. He doesn't talk much but is amiable enough. He wants to make more interventions into my work over the next few months.

again this work deals with my culture - what it does and how it does it (for me that is)

20120429_0107cropped.jpg

Intervention Bob - M Hampton​

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did making it !

cheers

Mark Hampton

this is one of 1st sketches involving bob - he came to our house yesterday and is settling in well. He doesn't talk much but is amiable enough. He wants to make more interventions into my work over the next few months.

again this work deals with my culture - what it does and how it does it (for me that is)

20120429_0107cropped.jpg

Intervention Bob - M Hampton​

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did making it !

cheers

Here is an intreasting paper -

http://www2.uiah.fi/sefun/DSIU_papers/DSIU _ Singh&Pickard _ Recent developments.pdf

it again highlights what has been pointed out in this thread -

hope it usefull.

cheers

Asher Kelman

20120430_0110cropped.jpg

Intervention Bob - M Hampton

Mark,

I must admit to being taken by this style of mannequin head. You will have a lot of fun with this marvelous fellow! He allows us to put anything we want into his brain!

Look at my pictures here taken in Paris earlier this year.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Mark,

I must admit to being taken by this style of mannequin head. You will have a lot of fun with this marvelous fellow! He allows us to put anything we want into his brain!

Look at my pictures here taken in Paris earlier this year.

Asher

Asher thanks - and its good to look at those works again... the funny thing about bob is the things he puts into our heads !

cheers

Mark Hampton

Mark,

the layering is wild! Love the colors. Do you want to talk about the Process? Does the single image have 24 layers and how important to the final product is the title? I read a very sensitive but singular portrait. The face has incredible strength which in some ways overpowers the gorgeous surrounding layers. Who is on top?

I would of course favor the gridded grouping, but at screen size I lose the fluidity of the layered details.

Very nice work,
Bill

PS I enjoyed the research paper on Jackson Pollock’s fractals, it was informative. I love that there always seems to be folks that want to tell you why someone did what they did, after they are dead (we have no way of knowing if he actually was influenced by the landscape, but the idea of fractals is fun).

Bill,

you have not been around for a bit - busy I guess - here is an update of one of the 24 images.

tawlayers-sharp.jpg

- Deka​

still think-inking of the link in this one for the title - the work has moved on somewhat in a physical sense. it seemed important for me to take it back to photographic plane - so this is an image of the images.

I also have some more links - some more science thoughts from those boffins who think and experiment.

a "democratic " approach to focus - read this

is Rembrandt high enough art

or this.

have a read... think... and then back to work !

cheers

Mark Hampton

Bill,

you have not been around for a bit - busy I guess - here is an update of one of the 24 images.

tawlayers-sharp.jpg

- Deka​

still think-inking of the link in this one for the title - the work has moved on somewhat in a physical sense. it seemed important for me to take it back to photographic plane - so this is an image of the images.

I also have some more links - some more science thoughts from those boffins who think and experiment.

a "democratic " approach to focus - read this

is Rembrandt high enough art

or this.

have a read... think... and then back to work !

cheers

http://www.museumsandtheweb.com/mw2012/papers/evaluating_the_practical_applications_of_eye_t

Hey Mark,

Yes . . .very busy and almost never near a computer. Into the third year of rebuilding a family property and my wife and I have decided to dedicate all of our time (since February) so that we can move our selves and our studios in next month (or we will go crazy). Have followed somewhat on my "dumb Phone"but am almost never able to manipulate the tiny keyboard! Impressed with the Alter Peace; graphically on my tiny phone screen it looks strong and very impresive.

Has the Wedding Party moved toward an album of individual portraits? Deka looks strong and I like the depth of the layering around the centered face. The eyes hold me captive so that I have a slow voyage around the remaining surface areas of beautiful layered color and textues. I like where you have gone.

Some time I might want to talk about the titleing that we use to direct the reading. As in the "Alter Peace" the title has directed me in a way that is differant than if I had stumbled apon the naked object. This is not a negative comment, but instead a philosophical ramble. Perhaps akin to some of what was identified in the only link that I was able to connect with (the study of viewing time per art piece in museums).

Bill

Mark Hampton

Hey Mark,

Yes . . .very busy and almost never near a computer. Into the third year of rebuilding a family property and my wife and I have decided to dedicate all of our time (since February) so that we can move our selves and our studios in next month (or we will go crazy). Have followed somewhat on my "dumb Phone"but am almost never able to manipulate the tiny keyboard! Impressed with the Alter Peace; graphically on my tiny phone screen it looks strong and very impresive.

Has the Wedding Party moved toward an album of individual portraits? Deka looks strong and I like the depth of the layering around the centered face. The eyes hold me captive so that I have a slow voyage around the remaining surface areas of beautiful layered color and textues. I like where you have gone.

Some time I might want to talk about the titleing that we use to direct the reading. As in the "Alter Peace" the title has directed me in a way that is differant than if I had stumbled apon the naked object. This is not a negative comment, but instead a philosophical ramble. Perhaps akin to some of what was identified in the only link that I was able to connect with (the study of viewing time per art piece in museums).

Bill

Good to here your getting a studio built ...

i view the site allot on a pad - i don't type cause its predictive txt is more than a match for my mind !

will update more after I am back from away !

Mark Hampton

Hey Mark,

Bill

Bill,
Sorry been remiss and not updated this since I got back from Mull.. Mull for me is not so much a place but a state of mind... but that is another story

G8.Alter.Peace – has taken shape for me and is ready to move into either one of two directions. I either make it as a “real” work – cut up flags and put “things” together and then photography it or keep it within the realm of digital / real, Where the parts have been constructed from samples are printed out waxed and then photographed – I still need to work on which process suits the work – Digital / Chemical – but I do find the elements stack up.

I find myself on this work leaning toward the latter.. as I keep thinking of the fiction the nation state.. in relation to data / information.

There was a quote that I found that seems to shout.

“Art is not a mirror to reflect reality, but a hammer with which to shape it.” —Bertolt Brecht.

I am as yet unsure how this works – within what I have done/do . But I do find it an idea that may have considerable worth.

I don’t consider what I do as Art until someone has read it as such. As this thread points out ad nausea – each viewer makes the work a new – from their context. In essence they are the artist.

Wedding Party – ahh another slow work – this is still the same – I posted up some other images from the 24 – there are 24 portraits stacked 24 deep – moved one at a time – so the images that are creeping in are different portraits from the whole...

Deka – is my chosen name (I didn’t use it till recently because of the TOS of this site ((only Real Names)). I am the tenth in my family. I was given the name Mark – but have chosen the number of my birth as my name for work I undertake. It tends to be slipped in on the site from a point that you were not here much – so is not a title as such (but is because every name is a title I guess).

Titles can be very important. They provided a context that the maker can give the work. This can either be a description or a suggestion for reading. In Books chapters may have titles – sometimes they describe what may be going on – sometimes they may suggest a jumping off point that the maker has though allows a deeper rereading of the subject matter.

Your thoughts on this context would be worthwhile – when you have access to more than a phone some of your knowledge would be good.

Hope your well !

Mark Hampton

I did not know the rule or I would probably have avoided posting. Anyway, and in accordance with the title of the thread:

Jerome,

still trying to track down the paper - as to rules - you don't have to follow any - its your choice.

the image you posted looks like an old parchment. it would fit well with he work of walls you did recently. thanks for posting...

for my next trick I will be making landscapes from a well known film - but that's a different thread...

cheers

Jerome Marot

the image you posted looks like an old parchment. it would fit well with he work of walls you did recently. thanks for posting...

Yes, they are related. But the title was "reading the reading", here I used photography to allow others to have access to these documents, so it was "reading the writing".

Mark Hampton

Yes, they are related. But the title was "reading the reading", here I used photography to allow others to have access to these documents, so it was "reading the writing".

as you posted an image of the the thing - the image is reading of the page - allowing us to read the reading you made of the writing :)