• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

cormorant giving me the eye...

this double-crested cormorant surfaced fairly close to me and presented me with this opportunity... 30D with Sigma EX 80-400 @ 400mm, 1/800 @ f7.1...

IMG_1365sm.jpg

Nice capture, Winston, and welcome to OPF. Nice detail and color in the eye.

If you have any specific requests regarding replies to your post (wanting critique or comments regarding composition, exposure, technique, or basically anything), please indicate that, so we can better 'focus' our comments.

I didn't post there, but also loved the 'October Reflection' image posted in the Landscape forum. Very nice work!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Winston,

Thanks for sharing with us this colorful picture of this fine bird. It is to beautiful! From the shape it appears that there's more to the image and would wonder what the uncropped picture would show and whether you have other shots in this shoot to share?

I am also impressed by the Sigma EX 80-400! As Don pointed out, the head is sharp! Also, as he has asked, what shall we do with your picture. We already like the bird and the lens!

Are you looking for criticism and ideas for improving such shots?

I'm always happy to see images of wild creatures, especially of birds whose very future is in the balance. I myself need to be educated. The more we know, the better chance we have to relate to the issues of biodiversity.

Still, there are artisitc issues.

Asher

Last edited:
thanks, guys. i'm always looking for ways to improve my work. in this instance, i'm sure there are compositional elements i could have done better, but the crop here was intended mainly to show the bird as clearly and prominently as possible. there wasn't a whole lot else in the original frame, just a bit more water... i've found wildlife photos are often not the best for "artistic" presentation, because so often the surroundings don't lend themselves to ideal compositions, but i'm always interested in ways to make my work better, more aesthetically pleasing, or dramatic.

Ron Morse

Very nice shot. The first thing that I noticed was how clear and sharp the details of the head were.
I'm not familiar with that lense but it seems to be working very well for you.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ron,

Yes it may indeed be challenging to photograph a bird a a work of art.

I personally can give no guidance on how to do it right, although we might be able to sense when it perhaps misses the mark a long way.

Asher

I agree that creating an "artistic" bird photograph can be challenging. Sometimes using a wider angle and providing the environmental setting in which it lives can help, and other times capturing an elegant movement or body position will give the effect. And certainly dramatic lighting will enhance just about any photograph, but can't be created on demand!

In fact, this is not a bad topic for a separate thread - providing examples of bird (or other wildlife) photographs that have a more explicit 'artistic' component, at least compared to a well-taken photograph that might be great for birders, or bird guide books.

In this cormorant shot, I would be interested to see how it would change if a lower shooting angle were possible (e.g. parallel to the water, so that the background is the surrounding scene, woods, shoreline, or whatever it might be, rather than the water behind it). And shooting at a wider angle might incorporate enough of the environment to give a sense of the bird's 'home.' This doesn't take anything away from this perfectly good shot, and is offered to provide some additional approaches the next time you're out shooting.