• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Feeding a Crocodile in Costa Rica

Brian Lowe

Having just returned from a little adventure in Costa Rica here is a photo of our guide from the first day taken along the Tarcoles River. He got out of the boat to give this Crocodile a snack. In the back ground you can see the Tarcoles river bridge also know as the "Crocodile Bridge" what you cant see is the 15 crocodiles in this immediate area.

BTW, the locals call this Crocodile George Bush.

-Brian-

118830892-L-1.jpg

118834040-L-1.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Brian
Glad to see that you returned safe after your journey !
One question, how should the guide be called if Crocodile's name is George Bush?-)

Brian Lowe

Nicolas,

there was another crocodile that was larger they called Osama.

After the guide got back into the boat he told us was so hung over from the night before he could not pilot the boat back to the landing.

This is the same spot we were feeding the crocodile just minutes after we left.

-Brian-

118867687-L-1.jpg

Interesting photo, Brian, and glad you had a safe trip.

I have to say, though, this feeding behavior goes against almost all recommendations I've seen with regard to human interactions with wildlife, so I'm pretty surprised that your guide did this. The animals will then associate humans with food, and be more likely to approach and attack.

When you were there? I led a workshop tour there Dec. 1-10, and we had an awesome time. We did a 3-hour boat ride on the Tarcoles River, which was as productive photographically as anything else we did on the trip. I just added images to my website from this trip Here.

Best,

Brian Lowe

Hi Don I was there the 16th-24th just missed you by a week, I was staying in Los Suenos.

I have to admit I was very surprised to see the guide get out of the boat and feed the crocodile. He said he has done this for 6 years. All that went through my mind was just keep pressing the shutter button.

I was looking at your photos did you see the 3 toed sloth with its baby at Manual Antonio park?

We are planning on going back to CR in May or June and stay on Caribbean side for that trip.

-Brian-

Brian Lowe said:
I was looking at your photos did you see the 3 toed sloth with its baby at Manual Antonio park?

We did, although its position in the trees, lighting, etc. made for no useful photo opportunity. Come to think of it, we saw 2 of them there with babies, but neither cooperated for photos for me!

We are planning on going back to CR in May or June and stay on Caribbean side for that trip.

Sounds great! I'm sure you'll be doing some boat rides on the Tortuguero River and canals in the Park there. To me, that is an extremely productive way of doing photography - you can cover a lot of ground, with all of your gear, with essentially no effort. Some of my favorite experiences and shots were taken there.

I've got another workshop in April, including Sarapiqui, Cerro de la Muerte, Manuel Antonio, Carara, etc. No Caribbean this time around, mainly because of the large amounts of time spent in transit since we're wanting to see other parts of the country as well.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
One day there will be a tragedy. Some guy will be hung over and he'll get the crocodiles crazy and then someone else might get attacked in the frenzy.

We have to respect nature much more than this!

These creature don't make bargains with humans. The names Osama and bush are apt.

These are guys you don't want to mess with!

Whatever you do, don't get into the water with dragons!

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

What a fool . I agree this is crazy but the shots are awesome .If he had bitten his arm off would you have posted it ?! kidding
You are not supposed to feed bears much less crocodiles !