• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bird's gotta eat...

Michael Mouravi

In my backyard...

hawklunch.jpg

hawklunch2.jpg

hawkbye.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Amazing!

Michael, are you going to be able to keep track of this particular hawk, or was this just a chance occurence?

asher

Michael Mouravi

Asher, I've seen it twice before when he was a juvenile - once in April and then in May. He will probably hang out here for quite a while as I understand they are highly territorial.

Here's him in April:
c1hawk3.jpg

And in May:
hawk8.jpg

Last edited:
Great captures - and in your own backyard, no less! I've shot a bluebird with a grub in its mouth in my backyard, but nothing like this!

Thanks for sharing.

Asher Kelman

Now for the nitty, gritty: how did you take the shots? We all don't have Hawks in our back yard, still...

Asher

Michael Mouravi

Asher, Canon 1D MarkIIn with 70-200 2.8L IS - basically what was closest to the door. Surprisingly he let me get pretty close, maybe 5 feet or so.

ISO 400, 1/160s, f/4.5

Don Ferguson Jr.

Michael,
These are incredible shots well done .I love the majestic wings of flight you portrayed with the
red tail hawks flying off with the squirrel.
You are gonna laugh because I had not seen yours before I put mine on ,and I was able to get within 5 feet as well.
My little 17-85 did pretty well but even if I had a 70-200 I do not know if I could have done as well as your excellent capture!
Regards
Don

Asher Kelman

I'm interested in what happens to the rest of the body of the aquirrel.

Are the raptors able to pierce the skulls of these creatures or is this left for bugs to recycle.

Do any creatures eat the skin?

I've never seen empty squirrels lying around!

Asher

Ray West

Hi Mike,

do they regurgitate the bones, etc. as 'pellets', as do owls?

Best wishes,

Ray

(note in a local parish magazine - 'The vicar would like to mention to the members of the congregation, that the collecting bowl at the doorway, labelled 'for the sick', is for monetary donations only.' )