• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lanner Falcon - Am I looking at him - or vice versa ?

John Harper

Hi again

Another shot from the Hawk Conservancy flying demonstration. This is a Lanner Falcon called "Charlie Brown" Not sure if I am looking at him or vice versa!

Shot on an EOS 1DMKIIN with a 400mm 5.6L lens AI Servo 1/2500th @ 5.6 ISO 400

Comments - criticisms - advice welcome, I am here to learn.

John

lannerfalcon.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

I love raptor pictures! They are master of the sky. If they see what they want, there's a good chance of getting a kill. I used to think just how wonderful. Now I think of little Mr's Mouse going shopping for food and and then bam, she's mouseburger with grass!

Several questions.

Have you considered placement to one side so there's a lot of empty sky to the left and below so the bird has a territory. That might be powerful and separates your work from the collection of proofs that you can photograph the bird.

I like the backlighting of the bird. How did you sharpen, Is some of the edge effect overshaprening. Look at Nicolas Claris sharpening action. Seems to work well with birds and it's free!

By the way what personal functions did you use and what focus ppoints. Was the birds hovering on air currents or was this birds really moving?

Mike Spinak has worked out the air current movements to get pictures as birds migrate and get cought in an air current above a great hunting ground.

Asher

Last edited:

John Harper

John,

I love raptor pictures! They are master of the sky. If they see what they want, there's a good chance of getting a kill. I used to think just how wonderful. Now I think of little Mr's Mouse going shopping for food and and then bam, she's mouseburger with grass!

Several questions.

Have you considered placement to one side so there's a lot of empty sky to the left and below so the bird has a territory. That might be powerful and separates your work from the collection of proofs that you can photograph the bird.

I will give that try and and post one for comment. In the original frame the bird is over to the left of the frame. I will flip it and see if you think it looks better?

I like the backlighting of the bird. How did you sharpen, Is some of the edge effect overshaprening. Look at Nicolas Claris sharpening action. Seems to work well with birds and it's free!

My inadequate photoshop skills are legend!! I just used "smart sharpen" at around 100. I have seen how Nicolas has sharpened up one of the vulture shots and would be keen to know how to do the same thing.

By the way what personal functions did you use and what focus ppoints. Was the birds hovering on air currents or was this birds really moving?

No personal functions used set focus to AI servo and all points active. The bird was circling around so not really moving but not hovering either.

Mike spinak has worked out the air current movements to get pictures as birds migrate and get cought in an air current above a great hunting ground.

Asher

lannerwide.jpg

John

John Harper

Hi, John,

That's a nice shot. Is there something in/on this hawk's foot?

Hi Mike

Yes the Hawk has a bell on his leg and a radio transmitter so they can track him if he decides to go off on a holiday!! I have cloned out the dangling aerial lead but my skills are not up to having a go at the rest of it.

It was shot at the Hawk Conservancy not far from me, they give public displays of various birds of prey, and i like going there to pit my wits against the birds in flight....

John

Mike Spinak

pro member
Looks like you're doing pretty well with hawks in flight.

Have you considered making the eye on the underside a little bit lighter tone? I'm not sure until I see it, but it might be an improvement. The eye kind of blends in with the hawk's dark hood and moustache, and starts to be hard to make out on the version of the picture with more sky.